It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rural "Low Output Americans" Will Ruin Our Democracy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Joy Ann-Reid wrote a piece for the The Daily Beast. The quick version is we need to do away with the electoral college, gerrymandering, and probably rural Americans while we are at it. They are the "low output Americans". Why? The 15 most populous states in the union will soon (2040) only be represented by 30 Senators and the lowest populated 35 states will be represented by 70 Senators. This is a threat to our democracy.

Never mind the House of Representatives. Never mind the Supreme Court. Never mind the Presidency. Never mind state and local governments. Never mind the rural urban split has been happening for over a century and we are still fine. It will be this egregious, future imbalance in the Senate which brings our downfall. When somebody pointed this out to her on Twitter asking what he was missing, she replied:

Yes you are. Your first problem is one of reading comprehension. The stat is that the 30 percent would have 70 Senators, meaning lopsided minority rule. This is inherently undemocratic and incentivizes that minority to undermine democratic noms to preserve their power.

Huh?!?!? Did she even read what she wrote? Maybe she thinks there are enough morons out there who will wade through this sophistry and think it's glorious?

This drives me crazy. Not so much her but the people who read it and think to themselves 'Hmmm, she has a point you know'. In this day in age, when the internet gives anybody access to more reference material than you can stomach, this garbage still flies. Kinda scary.

The article she wrote:
www.thedailybeast.com...

Further reading and reference:
www.thegatewaypundit.com...

US Census:
www.census.gov...

Why do we have a Senate?
www.senate.gov...

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I like where the trend is going. We members of rural America have felt marginalised for years. The large, liberal city's are like living in a zoo.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

You know when they talk about protecting democracy they mean the opposite.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Not a good showing for intelligence from Joy Ann-Reid. a reply to: ABNARTY

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Eh, sounds like an eloquent way of saying conservatives are just wrong.

My $.02

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Low Output? How about the half of Americans that pay no taxes? Rural or urban, THOSE are the "low output" citizens, and my guess is there are a whole lot more leftists and Democrats in that group than GOP or right wingers.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

It’s “high output” America—the fewer than 500 counties Hillary Clinton carried, which account for 64 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product—versus “low output America”—the more than 2,600 Trump counties, which nonetheless contribute just a third of nation’s economic output.

That author is a effing idiot.

Go on do away with fly over country.

'High output' would starve to death.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So they should have 2.5 times more pull in the gov't than they should?

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

It’s “high output” America—the fewer than 500 counties Hillary Clinton carried, which account for 64 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product—versus “low output America”—the more than 2,600 Trump counties, which nonetheless contribute just a third of nation’s economic output.

That author is a effing idiot.

Go on do away with fly over country.

'High output' would starve to death.

Liberals just want rural people to feed them and then shut up and let them run things.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Remember kids, when we can hold up less than 5% of the entire population and say, "Look how marginalized they are. We need to change marriage for them to protect their minority rights." It's a good thing because progressives want it.

But when a minority of the population in the eyes of the progressives can outvote them according to the rules of the Electoral College that were very much set up to protect the rights of the *minority,* it is suddenly a bad thing because the minority in question do not gain the progressives what they want.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Why should the east coast and west coast have more say than the middle ?

Because that is what it's all about.

It's been lopsided since the creation of the electoral college.

The EC decides our elections.

Only a handful of states determine the outcome.

Laws made are created by a minority.

In a truly representative democracy.

Every state gets an equal say, but fat chance of that happening.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It's like The Hunger Games. They want us to play the Districts to their Capitol in Panem.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY
Joy Ann-Reid wrote a piece for the The Daily Beast.

Sorry had to stop reading right there after reading the Title of thread as well.

I'm eternally grateful your side just doesnt get it .........

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Can I bring all my low output cattle to the high output city? LMAO

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

That's not entirely fair. Of all the more left leaning sources The Daily Beast is sometimes less rabid than places like HuffPo and others. I can actually stand to read them without guffawing.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Not surprising since the Coastal Elites like to *** on the poor rural white Americans.

Within the popular American conscience—arguably a close reflection of the mainstream media—there are two favored focal points for discussing the problem of poverty. The first is within the urban, inner city context—often conflated with black poverty—which has held a critical role in American political and cultural discourse throughout most of the past century. The second is the poverty of the Global South: Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the rest of the developing world.

What seldom gets talked about—and when it is, often with irreverent humor and contempt—is the poverty of rural America, particularly rural white America: Appalachia, the Ozarks, the Mississippi Delta, the Dakotas, the Rio Grande Valley, the Cotton Belt.

If you spend time among coastal liberals, it’s not unusual to hear denigrating remarks made about poor “middle Americans” slip out of mouths that are otherwise forthcoming about the injustices of poverty and inequality.

“I think the assumption is that rural white voters are racist and illiberal and intolerant,” says Pruitt. “And so there are all sorts of incentives to distance ourselves—for the Democratic presidential candidates to distances themselves—from rural whites. I think that most rural white voters are pretty alienated from politics generally, and the Democratic Party in particular.”

inthesetimes.com...

edit on 12/1/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: pavil

That's not entirely fair. Of all the more left leaning sources The Daily Beast is sometimes less rabid than places like HuffPo and others. I can actually stand to read them without guffawing.

Joy Reid is a whiney B*'$#!.

Thats the part I meant.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I live in a town of close to 10 000 people, and i think we should have the same voice in term of representation by politicians.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
I live in a town of close to 10 000 people, and i think we should have the same voice in term of representation by politicians.

What are you talking about?

The people who live in places like Seattle, Portland, LA, San Fran, New York, etc., are so much more enlightened than you and your fellow 10,000 dirt humpers ever could be.

They should just decide everything for you.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I am sure that low output has nothing to do with guaranteed agricultural subsidies, and paying farmers not to produce, and regulating the environment that destroys their livelihoods, and more regulation of energy that also destroys their output.

But hey.

That really isn't relevant to left wing supremacists.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join