It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Largest Battery Is Turned On In Australia As Tesla Ties Into Power Grid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Last night after a quick stop at Veggie Grill. I drove past the Downtown Seattle TESLA dealership. They had a falcon-wing model sitting in the corner window that caught my eye and I thought to myself, "I wish I could afford one of those!".

As some of you may know, TESLA has it's fingers in more ventures than just electric vehicles, including giant batteries for the utility industry like this one recently installed in South Australia next to the Hornsdale Wind Farm

The power grid in South Australia now includes a huge Tesla battery tied to a wind farm, allowing the system to supply electricity around the clock. The battery was installed well before Tesla CEO Elon Musk's 100-day guarantee lapsed — and just in time for the start of summer.

The battery was linked to the grid 63 days after the contract was signed, in a deal between Tesla, the French renewable energy company Neoen and the South Australian government. Musk had said Tesla could have the battery in place within 100 days or it would be free. "South Australia is now leading the world in dispatchable renewable energy, delivered to homes and businesses 24/7," Weatherill said in a statement about the installation.

The 100-megawatt/129MWh battery was first tied to the grid over the weekend; it then underwent testing to ensure it can both generate power to and store charge from the National Energy Market. According to Australia's ABC, it was tapped one day early, to bolster the local power grid as local temperatures hit 100 degrees.

"South Australian taxpayers will be subsidizing its operation with up to $50 million over the next 10 years," ABC reports. The battery can store enough energy to power around 30,000 homes for more than an hour. But officials are hoping it can help stabilize the system and ease the power load during peak demand — key goals in South Australia, where the entire state endured a blackout in September 2016.

Why is the US not the leader in "dispatchable renewable energy"?

SOURC E ARTICLE
edit on 1212017 by seattlerat because: added a link

edit on 1212017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Elon also has interests in turning Adelaide into the next silicon valley. A huge boon for australias economy and world standing if it comes to fruition.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Because 30,000 homes for 1 hour at the cost of 50 million dollars plus is ridiculous

2. The batteries need to get better and more cost efficient

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

It is Lithium ion technology and all cells will need to be replaced within 5 years. A terrible half-way house kinda solution imo. According to those in the know, vanadium redox battery should have been the technology used but for some reason, Australia decided on lithium ion.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Probably because lithium-ion has been tested on laptops and smartphones. So they know how long those batteries will last.

The problem with the power grid supply system just now is that the price of electricity is set using a bidding system. When demand is less than supply, then the price of electricity per unit is set by the cheapest provider. When demand exceeds supply (extreme heat), the price is set by the most expensive provider. By storing electricity between the time it is generated by renewables and when it is needed, they iron out those peaks and troughs between supply and demand.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Because 30,000 homes for 1 hour at the cost of 50 million dollars plus is ridiculous

Musk can smell govt subsidizes continents away. That is his true genius.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Agreed! Elon musk is not in the Electric Car Business nor is he in the Renewable Energy Business... He's in the Government Subsidy Business!!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Because were not morons ?

The chevy colt is a prime example.

Half a million dollars to make that only sold for A fraction of it's cost.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Yep the whole technology does.

I called to get an estimate to redo my roof with the new tesla sunroof that comes out next year and they wanted like $45 a square roof and if I recall correctly that was after the gov't incentives and tax breaks.

Not even gov't tax payer subsidies help apply the Vaseline.

The prices of the technology and installation are rather steep.

They should maybe look into the google strategy for vr. Google was able to get vr tech to the general public for under 5 bucks with the cardboard solution.

Ofcourse solar power tech is no were as simple as vr tech and far more dangerous , but they should look at the idea of promoting safe and easy DIY methods for the public to build their own solar tech with kits.

Yes there are already kits and gazillion DIY youtube channels , but Tesla has the knowledge,tech,manufacturing capabilities, and lobbying power to take it to the next level.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

50 mil / 30 thou = 1,666.6666666667 per house.

Cheaper than installing solar panels on 30K houses.

I think solar panels for a house would cost $15k.

And I think the goal here is not so much to power homes. But to stabilize the grid so that during peak times power can keep up with demand.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Yep the whole technology does.

I called to get an estimate to redo my roof with the new tesla sunroof that comes out next year and they wanted like $45 a square roof and if I recall correctly that was after the gov't incentives and tax breaks.

Not even gov't tax payer subsidies help apply the Vaseline.

The prices of the technology and installation are rather steep.

They should maybe look into the google strategy for vr. Google was able to get vr tech to the general public for under 5 bucks with the cardboard solution.

Ofcourse solar power tech is no were as simple as vr tech and far more dangerous , but they should look at the idea of promoting safe and easy DIY methods for the public to build their own solar tech with kits.

Yes there are already kits and gazillion DIY youtube channels , but Tesla has the knowledge,tech,manufacturing capabilities, and lobbying power to take it to the next level.

Nope, Musk said the solar roof will cost less than conventional roofing. You must be mistaken./sarc

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Because the fossil and nuclear fuel whores won't let go

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

And because the tech is not ready for prime time. The energy companies know how much energy they need and they know what can affordably provide that.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Maybe because we know the value of a energy source that doesn't depend on the weather to work, and its CHEAPER.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Nope, Musk said the solar roof will cost less than conventional roofing. You must be mistaken./sarc

Yep that is what the guy on the phone was trying to tell me.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
That is a lot of money. Those batteries do not last that long either, maybe ten years or so. For what it saves, is it really worth the investment? I doubt it, they still have to supply the grid from regular power plants, they have diversified their system just by solar panels and windmills, the batteries seem like they are a waste. They could put big surge units every so often to get rid of surges, that would have been way cheaper and surge protection lasts a long time, they can last thirty years or more.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

$1,666.666666666667 for each home

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
subsidizing. lmfao. musk is making billions off the backs of taxpayers.
he is the 'darling' of everyone's eye but the dork is stealing money left and right.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The should call for what it actually is, a backup battery. By those general figures, If the power were to be off for a whole 8 hours it could only supply 3750 homes for that time period. That would be nothing more than a small town. How many diesel powered electrical generators could be purchased for that 50 million?

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: seasonal

Yep that is what the guy on the phone was trying to tell me.

At 45 bucks a square it is cheaper than solar panels, and I sell solar panels. You get a new roof that won't leak and you get to generate power.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join