It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Close friendship with Jehovah belongs to those who fear him." —Psalms 25v14.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

When people read the word "fear" in the bible in similar verses as the one quoted in the title of this thread they often get the wrong impression thinking about an improper terrorizing type of fear (thinking about phobomancy: superstituous fear or phobia; the use of fear and evil to manipulate the minds and action of others, eg. the hellfire doctrine). But fear comes in multiple shades and forms and when used as in the text above, it is referring to a different type of fear as the alternate rendering in the footnote of the text below also shows.

Proverbs 1:7

The fear of* [Or “reverence for.”] Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge.

Only fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Fear: Insight, Volume 1

As commonly used, fear means an expectation of harm or pain, generally a painful emotion characterized by alarm, dread, disquiet. However, fear may also mean a calm recognition or consideration of whatever may injure or damage, such recognition causing one to exercise reasoned caution and intelligent foresight.

What is the fear of Jehovah that we should have?

The Bible shows that there is a proper fear and an improper fear. Thus, fear may be wholesome and cause the individual to proceed with due caution in the face of danger, thereby averting disaster, or it may be morbid, destroying hope and weakening a person’s nervous stamina, even to the point of bringing about death. The fear of God is healthful; it is an awe and a profound reverence for the Creator and a wholesome dread of displeasing him. This fear of incurring his displeasure is a result of appreciation of his loving-kindness and goodness together with the realization that he is the Supreme Judge and the Almighty, who has the power to inflict punishment or death upon those who disobey him.—See AWE; DREAD.

The proper fear of Jehovah God is essential to those who would serve him. This profound fear of Jehovah is “the beginning of wisdom” (Ps 111:10), “the start of wisdom.” (Pr 9:10) It is not a morbid fear that tears down; “the fear of Jehovah is pure.” (Ps 19:9) This fear is defined thus at Proverbs 8:13: “The fear of Jehovah means the hating of bad.” It will prevent one from following a bad course, for “in the fear of Jehovah one turns away from bad.”—Pr 16:6.

Back to Ps. 25:14:

Close friendship with Jehovah belongs to those who fear him.

Three times the Bible identifies Abraham as God’s friend. (2 Chron. 20:7; Isa. 41:8; Jas. 2:23) In fact, that faithful man is the only person specifically referred to that way in the Bible. Should we assume, then, that Abraham was the only human ever to become Jehovah’s friend? No, for the Bible shows that friendship with God is something that each of us can attain. God’s Word teems with accounts of faithful men and women who feared Jehovah, put faith in him, and became his close friends. The apostle Paul wrote of “a great cloud of witnesses,” all of whom surely were God’s friends. (Heb. 12:1) Among them we find a delightful variety of people. They have enjoyed the wonderful privilege of being friends of God. May we continue to imitate such examples of faith. (Heb. 6:11, 12) As we do so, we may be assured of a great reward—being Jehovah’s close friends forever! w16.02 2:1, 2 19

Source: daily text of Friday, December 1, 2017 at wol.jw.org (not much point in linking the source cause that text will be gone tomorrow)

Ecclesiastes 8:11-14

11 Because sentence against a bad deed has not been executed speedily, the heart of men becomes emboldened to do bad. 12 Although a sinner may do bad a hundred times and still live a long time, yet I am aware that it will turn out well for those who fear the true God, because they fear him. 13 But it will not turn out well for the wicked one, nor will he prolong his days that are like a shadow, because he does not fear God.

14 There is something futile* [Or “frustrating.”] that takes place on the earth: There are righteous people who are treated as if they had acted wickedly, and there are wicked people who are treated as if they had acted righteously. I say that this too is futility.

Religion is a Snare and a Racket
A brainwashing cult? Persecution of a peaceable people willing to take a stand against Nationalism and Patriotism

Jeremiah 23:26-28, 33

How long will this continue in the heart of the prophets, to prophesy lies? They are prophets of the deceit of their own heart. 27 They intend to make my people forget my name by the dreams they relate to one another, just as their fathers forgot my name because of Baʹal. 28 Let the prophet who has a dream relate the dream, but the one who has my word should speak my word truthfully.”

“What does the straw have in common with the grain?” declares Jehovah.
33 “And when this people or a prophet or a priest asks you, ‘What is the burden* of Jehovah?’ you should reply to them, ‘“You people are the burden! And I will cast you off,” declares Jehovah.’

*: Or “burdensome message.” The Hebrew word has a double meaning: “a weighty divine pronouncement” or “something burdensome.”

Jehovah's Witnesses: Defending the Divine Name

edit on 1-12-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Right. Fear god... or else.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The only healthy fear I have for god is that he forgot about us.

I would love to have a friendly discussion with jehovas, as of yet they never rang my doorbell.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Fear is for the weak and scared.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Fear of god does not mean you fear him. A little difference of translation there. Fear means respect and desire to follow the way of god. It means you fear straying from him.

I do not fear god, I respect the supreme consciousness of the universe. You only fear what you do not understand. Now I would never try to abuse my link with god. That could lead to him causing chaos in my life. God can steer this reality, if you bring down the wrath of god on you, your life could be hell.

Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Do not judge, but still beware that people can be deceivers, you do not need to be a sucker, being a skeptic is not bad but do not leave it ruin your life. Negativity is something we create in our minds, we can have a great existance here if we want, it does not have to be extravagant. Be happy that your needs and a few of your wants are provided, define your real needs. Live within your means. You can have fun and still not be rich, you can be rich and miserable if you are paranoid everyone is after your money and possessions. Don't display your wealth, the people who like to steal will target you. Being prideful makes you a target of others.

I do not fear god, I am happy there is a supreme collective consciousness I can tap. He will not tell me his true name though, I suppose he never tells me anything....not even if he is actually a she. This consciousness would not actually have a sex anyway, it would be a combination of all knowledge and beliefs in the universe that is positive, the negative beliefs come under a different entity. Just enjoy life within your means, be friendly to others and give respect where respect is due. You are not substandard if you are poor, that is just a judgement people place on others or on themselves. We are all equal in the eyes of god. Watch out for deceivers, they used to target those who have lots, now they even want to steal from the poor, we truely live in the time of the deceiver's rule. This actually has nothing to do with god, it has to do with a distorted tendency of mans greed.

Done chirping in now. I know, some may think I am a bird brain because my beliefs differ from theirs. I do believe there is a supreme collective consciousness we can tap into, but I also never try to challenge the deceivers, their collective consciousness is also a notable entity. In the end of time, the deceivers will get so greedy that they will steal and fight amongst themselves since there will be no money left to steal from the poor.

Do you fear hurting the feelings of the one you love? This is what I feel they are trying to say.
edit on 1-12-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Fear of god does not mean you fear him. A little difference of translation there. Fear means respect and desire to follow the way of god. It means you fear straying from him.

I do not fear god, I respect the supreme consciousness of the universe. You only fear what you do not understand. Now I would never try to abuse my link with god. That could lead to him causing chaos in my life. God can steer this reality, if you bring down the wrath of god on you, your life could be hell.

Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Do not judge, but still beware that people can be deceivers, you do not need to be a sucker, being a skeptic is not bad but do not leave it ruin your life. Negativity is something we create in our minds, we can have a great existance here if we want, it does not have to be extravagant. Be happy that your needs and a few of your wants are provided, define your real needs. Live within your means. You can have fun and still not be rich, you can be rich and miserable if you are paranoid everyone is after your money and possessions. Don't display your wealth, the people who like to steal will target you. Being prideful makes you a target of others.

I do not fear god, I am happy there is a supreme collective consciousness I can tap. He will not tell me his true name though, I suppose he never tells me anything....not even if he is actually a she. This consciousness would not actually have a sex anyway, it would be a combination of all knowledge and beliefs in the universe that is positive, the negative beliefs come under a different entity. Just enjoy life within your means, be friendly to others and give respect where respect is due. You are not substandard if you are poor, that is just a judgement people place on others or on themselves. We are all equal in the eyes of god. Watch out for deceivers, they used to target those who have lots, now they even want to steal from the poor, we truely live in the time of the deceiver's rule. This actually has nothing to do with god, it has to do with a distorted tendency of mans greed.

Done chirping in now. I know, some may think I am a bird brain because my beliefs differ from theirs. I do believe there is a supreme collective consciousness we can tap into, but I also never try to challenge the deceivers, their collective consciousness is also a notable entity. In the end of time, the deceivers will get so greedy that they will steal and fight amongst themselves since there will be no money left to steal from the poor.

Do you fear hurting the feelings of the one you love? This is what I feel they are trying to say.
Changing definitions to make the bible more palatable? Fear is not respect and the bible doesn’t demand respect. It demands fear. Fear of consequences.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
To walk with God is not to fear him in the sense most understand, but it is to fear for those who don't in that way.

He is perfect, and He does not deviate.

We all do, and that is why we need to be forgiven. There is a way for this to happen, but most reject it.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
To walk with God is not to fear him in the sense most understand, but it is to fear for those who don't in that way.

He is perfect, and He does not deviate.

We all do, and that is why we need to be forgiven. There is a way for this to happen, but most reject it.
What are the consequences for not believing in God?

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Changing definitions to make the bible more palatable? Fear is not respect and the bible doesn’t demand respect. It demands fear. Fear of consequences.

Even the Jehovah Witnesses I studied with said that the word fear does not actually mean fear as most people think of it. I am scared I might upset my wife by my actions sometimes, it keeps me in line. That is fear, but I am not afraid of my wife at all, I fear hurting her feelings.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Even the Jehovah Witnesses I studied with said that the word fear does not actually mean fear as most people think of it. I am scared I might upset my wife by my actions sometimes, it keeps me in line. That is fear, but I am not afraid of my wife at all, I fear hurting her feelings.
back in the day, fear was fear. Just like it is today. Maybe your using the wrong word when you are talking about your wife. But i’m sure you fear the pain it would cause if she left you. You respect her, because you fear that very real pain you would feel in her absence.

The bible proposes far worse consequences. Except those consequences aren’t even real.

But you go ahead and continue fearing god. You have already told everyone what a horrible POS you were before you became a christian.
edit on 1-12-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

If god were real, he would let people know what he wanted. Men wrote those books and used an imaginary authority and very real consequences to make sure people followed it. Religion does not spread because it makes sense, it spread because anyone who did not assimilate was put to death. The people who did assimilate made sure their children believed so they would not be killed.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

No, modifying translations to reflect the original meaning more accurately.
Words in the English language do not have static definitions. Their definitions have been changing continually as the language evolved. (For example, "If he tries to do that, you must let him" now means the exact opposite of what it would have meant in Shakespeare's time).
It would be simple obscurantism to insist on the modern sense of a word, when the most common modern sense is not what the original writer intended.
The issue is not what the word "fear" means now, but what the Psalmist meant by the Hebrew word which gets translated as "fear".
edit on 1-12-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

back in the day, fear was fear. Just like it is today. Maybe your using the wrong word when you are talking about your wife. But i’m sure you fear the pain it would cause if she left you. You respect her, because you fear that very real pain you would feel in her absence.

The bible proposes far worse consequences. Except those consequences aren’t even real.

But you go ahead and continue fearing god. You have already told everyone what a horrible POS you were before you became a christian.

I don't fear god in the sense you are saying. I was never evil either, although some Christians would have said I was possessed. I have always been honest, and I always tried to help those who were really in need, remember, a lot of people who cry poverty or hardship are just negative because they do not get everything they want. I am not going to go out of my way to help them.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The beggining of wisdom is fearing God
Sadly people don't understand that love overtakes fear as wisdom grows in the heart of the believer
JWs work for their salvation by door knocking, they are fearful
Jesus ended the works doctrine, it's not about fear once you understand love and being in Christs love, fear fades away as love grows.
The beggining of wisdom is replaced by the wisdom of living in Gods love

Funny how some people don't understand that it's all about the beginning and not the actual walk once past the beginning
Fear ends, love flourishes as you get wiser as you move away from the beginning

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Wait a minute...
I've heard of this. Jehovah's Witnesses, one of the more fun offshoots of he Great Revival in the Burned over district of New York. The Mormons were created there, too.

From my understanding of Jehovah's Witness faith from inception through today is they have to keep making stuff up.
The heads of the sect kept making dates for Armageddon. And wouldn't you know it, the world didnt end.

That's gotta be tough.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman You did a good explanation of it.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

To be forever separated from Him. And if God is love, and make no mistake He is. Then you are forever separating yourself from that.

A loveless eternity is a cold place indeed.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I would say, counting the research (although .org did that for you....), the layout, the editing, and the typing....then the posting on ATS and subsequent discussions, this is good for counting on your time card at least an hour or two. Good work! Ain't the internet great!

You don't have to get out in the cold, rain, heat, or fight off the dogs (that's the worst) and knock doors. You can just post online and turn in your time and get the same number of "points" (wink) that others do that get up, get dressed, meet up, spend time and gasoline, and actually go door-to-door.

I like the daily texts...thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I would say, counting the research (although .org did that for you....), the layout, the editing, and the typing....then the posting on ATS and subsequent discussions, this is good for counting on your time card at least an hour or two. Good work! Ain't the internet great!

You don't have to get out in the cold, rain, heat, or fight off the dogs (that's the worst) and knock doors. You can just post online and turn in your time and get the same number of "points" (wink) that others do that get up, get dressed, meet up, spend time and gasoline, and actually go door-to-door.

I like the daily texts...thanks for sharing.

I'm just surprised we don't get more posts from Elders Smith and Young typing away with their ties and short sleeved shirts.
It's fascinating they believe their version of the Christian God lives on another planet. They don't tell you that right away, but I usually invite both the mormons and Jehovah's witnesses in for a fun little q&a. I even let them pray for me before they leave. Nearly all have been courteous and kind so I respect that. Just can't believe their brands of woo woo.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Strong's definition of the Hebrew word used here includes meanings of both the fear of destruction type of fear but also one of moral reverence.

I could imagine that, when handling something powerful that one must be careful.

God, who is the greatest power in the universe, must be treated with respect. If you belittle God with a casual and flippant attitude, or a cartoonish 'old guy in the clouds' or 'sky fairy' conception, you do not know, nor ever can truly approach a true understanding of God. Without a true understanding of God, one can never enter actual relationship.

Without a relationship to God, the title and the name are just words.

Also, the name "Jehovah" is a mashup of the Hebrew word for the title "lords" (Adonai) and the tetragrammaton (YHWH) which is the name by which God identified Himself. This was then translated from Hebrew into German and then into English to give us the word "Jehovah".

The true name of God as revealed in the Bible is "YHWH", most accurately pronounced "Yahweh". The problem is that most translations of the Bible replace the names and titles of God, almost at random, with titles and names more comfortable to the translators natural language.

Elohim is a title, not a name. YHWH is a name, not a title. Baal is a title, not a name. Adonai is a title, not a name. Jehovah never existed in the original texts. Lucifer is a title, not a name (and also never existed in the original texts). There are many inaccuracies due to translation, that have become accepted as scriptural.

If only those translators had a little more respect and reverence for YHWH God we wouldn't have cults that also disrespect Yeshua bar Joseph, the messiah and the only sired Son of God (all other Sons of God were created).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join