Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Parallel Bible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
For any of you Christians out there - have you ever heard of a Parallel Bible.
I discovered the World's sweetest bookshop today and managed to pick up a copy.

Any of you got any opinions about them?

Also, is there a Parallel Koran or a Parallel Talmud?

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Leveller,

Are you referring to parallel translations?

If you are, YES, they are wonderful. Which one did you get?

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Could someone please tell me what this Parallell Bible is? It sounds interesting......

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Iv never heard of this before?
Where can you get this?
Sounds interesting
Deep

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Yeah, like chebob I don't know what the hell a parallel Bible is, can you post much more information ?

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well a Parallel bible usually refers to a bible that has more than one translation. I currently have two that a different.

My mother had one that had four translations in parallel. In other words, on any given page you have the same scripture translated say KJV, New American, etc. My favorite one contains the actual Greek text, and the New Revised Standard Version (for the New Testament only of course).

What is great about these is that you can read the translation, and then look over and see the Greek. If you have a good concordance (say Strong's Exhaustive concordance) you can then look up the actual greek word and determine for yourself how accurate the translation is.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If its what I am thinking of, its a bible with 2 different translations on it. One on one page and the second on the other, so you can read through verses and see what the difference is between translations.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Sounds good. Are they hard to pick up, or are the widely available?

Also, Sacred-Texts.com has quite a few translations of the Bible readable online.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oh, thats it.
I misunderstood i thought it was from some parallel universe.
Deep

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Yes, NC. Both sides are in English.

The left hand side is from the Authorized Version of 1611
The right hand side is different. The Old Testament part of it is 1885. The New Testament is 1881

Don't ask me why they translated the New Testament first. I haven't read it yet.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   
No, you should be able to buy them at:

Barnes and Noble
Hastings
The Joshua Tree
or any religious book store (maybe not Catholic though, I'm not sure about that...hmmm)

Anyway, yes, they are readily available. IMHO I believe the best thing to do is always get one that include the orginal language and compliment it with a good concordance.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
For any of you Christians out there - have you ever heard of a Parallel Bible.
I discovered the World's sweetest bookshop today and managed to pick up a copy.

Any of you got any opinions about them?

Also, is there a Parallel Koran or a Parallel Talmud?

Great find! I have one with 4 versions of the Bible....helps with translations sometimes. As to a Parallel Koran or Talmud, I have yet to hear or find one..I am still using online sources for those....and the Book of Enoch and such.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I use this one when I am debating things here..

www.blueletterbible.org...

it has the equivilent of parallel bibles in it.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I have a software package from Logos (software developers) of the Talmud. It is very good. And you can get both the Hebrew and the English (I don't have it loaded on this computer or I would reference what translation it is. I believe it might be the JPS.) You can also get the Nevi'im and the Kethubim.

Anyway, it is ABSOLUTELY wonderful because you can do searches against a particular word and all the scriptures just pop up as line items!

Cuts searching FOR SURE!

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The Bible has been edited far too much by the early church to be credible document. I don't believe Jesus wanted a religion based on himself to be established for the purpose of making the church rich and powerful. I don't think the point of his preaching was to establish a religion based on himself period. I wish that I would have written a bibliography of all the books and documents that I have read to lead me to this, but 30 years ago I had no idea I would be talking about this subject to anyone. It is debatable even whether Jesus was an actual person.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 06:56 AM
link   
We are discussing the "Parallel Bible". Why do you have to insert these statements in this thread? Are you needing to discuss something that is bothering you? I don't see the relevance in your comments when I take into account the original post.

I don't understand why people feel so compelled to p|$$ their disbeliefs all over everybody else on every thread that has something to do with theology. It seems downright malicious at times.

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Well, I took a look at it.
You know there really isn't much difference between the two Bibles even though they're set 200 years apart.

The one thing that strikes me is what the actual changes are.
They don't add that many new words. What they do is change the emphasis on the ones that are there.

"was" becomes "[itallic]was[/itallic]

It's almost as if they think the Bible has already happened.

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by Leveller]

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Leveller,

Would mind sharing what 2 translations you are comparing?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Are these also called Theology bibles. I saw one in a Christian bookshop about a year ago. Like stated it had different translations and the various religions that adhear to them, as well as there meanings. I wanted to by it but costing over $100 (NZ$) it was a bit much at the time. II will eventually by it. Can't really remember its specifically other than it was a theology Bible. Currently I have about 4 different translations (seperate books).

I think I could actually become a collector of bibles, I find myself wanting to buy old bibles at garage sale's. There's something about them even to someone like me who semi agree with GG.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Who would even read the Talmud??????

You people are bigoted hateful Jews are you??????

top topics

<<   2 >>

join