It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man choked, defecates himself after trying to pay ticket in pennies, lawsuit says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: Lysergic
Bro just won the lotto.

Oh wait Detroit is already broke haha.

Royal Oak is not Detroit, it's actually one of the more wealthy suburbs of Detroit.

Yep. Median Income = $64,873
www.bestplaces.net...

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Necrobile

if they are sick of it they should stop violently extorting people for simple victimless crimes

I completely agree, I was only saying that I bet many people pay their fines via penny protest, especially since some of those videos went viral, so I can understand if they're getting sick and tired of accepting pennies.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Well, it gives new meaning to the term............... uh what's that term......? Don't go to a gunfight with only a knife..... um, no, thats not it. how about ..... ... .. .

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Sick and tired have no place in the legal system. Take the money you fined the guy and get on with your life.

Look at the expensive mess that is created when you have "cowboys" take matters into their own hands. If we are getting the straight spit on this one.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
“Life happens. Sh_ _ happens. And it happens a lot. To a lot of people.” yea, thats the one

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What a Nincompoop
Get it poop

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Government agency refuses to accept legal U.S. tender that they lawfully *must* accept for all debts, public and private. Agent of that governmental entity ( court security officer ) unlawfully assaults and arrests the private citizen...

The only question the city of Royal Oaks should have for this guy is how many zeros he wants on his check.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
I'm wondering if he was told that he was under arrest and to turn around. Maybe he decided F this and then walked away. That would explain a lot. If not then this guy should win a lawsuit.

But still...under arrest for paying with pennies? No sound, but didn't appear that he was arguing/yelling with them or at them! wow! this is crazy!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

i have very little sympathy :

having been told that his card incurred a fee - he deliberatly went out and got " pennies " instead of notes

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Yes. Because it was a legit protest.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Last I heard if the clerk refuses legal tender the payee can get all fines dismissed. I assume this dude knows this which is why he brought back pennies.

Altho it probably didn't go as planned, just setting up his court case when things went into the bizarre.
Nice try tho!!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: Lysergic
Bro just won the lotto.

Oh wait Detroit is already broke haha.

Royal Oak is not Detroit, it's actually one of the more wealthy suburbs of Detroit.

Wealthy?

Hardly

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Sounds like they "choked the shart out of him!"

Maybe he was trying to lay down a smoke screen for his escape, but that 2nd helping of habanero clam chowder for breakfast earlier and the super-sized dip of Copenhagen changed all those plans.

"Here's to mud in your eye!"

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Pennies are still legal tender. If the court officers or clerk have a problem with that they can go petition the federal government. Until then, legal tender is just that, and must be accepted as payment, period.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Dang.
Imagine how much his life would be disrupted had he ignored paying the ticket? He would have been treated exactly the same.

Why pay a 10% gratuity?

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

I hope we hear about how the clerk thought they could not take payment of wrapped pennies for a $10 ticket. That is 20 50 cent rolls.
More than likely shItty pants will get a big wad of money and a non disclosure agreement.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The processing fee is a legality, something to do with a municipal agency or something.

This story though...jesus. That dude couldn't lose the civil suit if he tried given what happened.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i have very little sympathy :

having been told that his card incurred a fee - he deliberatly went out and got " pennies " instead of notes

You think choking a guy out for expressing the most mild civil disobedience once can imagine is appropriate?

LOL, savage.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

You'd think, huh? However, many municipalities have passed ordinances prohibiting the use of pennies as payment for traffic violations. And despite the clear ignorance of the legal tender status by the US Treasury, these laws are rarely challenged legally. When an unchallenged ordinance remains in place a local jurisdiction can enforce these laws without regard to their constitutionality or legal standing under federal law. In other words, they can do whatever they want (sadly).

Now, in this particular case, here's what's likely to happen. The 'defendent' will likely be charged...and convicted...of disorderly conduct. And, he will likely have to pay a fine (which he will not be allowed to pay in pennies, rolled or not). This, unless the DA decides to drop the charges, which is pretty unlikely given the fact the 'defendant' is also a 'victim' and likely 'plaintiff' in a civil matter related to this case (even though inadmissible). He will likely also be ordered to pay the original fine (also not in pennies) and any additional costs and/or late fees.

If he's wise, he will do all of these things without protest.

THEN...there's the possible criminal charge of assault (which the DA will likely not file) against municipal employee or agent on behalf of the 'victim', and the almost certain civil proceedings the 'plaintiff' will file (if he's got even half a brain) against the municipality for a whole litany of things (assault, pain and suffering, public humiliation, lost wages, misconduct resulting in damage to real property or persons, willful, etc.).

Net result...'plaintiff' by a country mile, BUT...the municipality will likely not back down on their silly ordinance. If for no other reason, the municipality will stand on the ordinance and disorderly in hopes of mitigating losses in the civil proceedings to follow (again, even though inadmissible).

edit on 12/2/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join