It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon anomalies Apollo 16 Crew Photos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
a reply to: CajunMetal

They used Hasselblad cameras on the Moon medium format so large negative size and also some of the best lenses available. The colour helps it stand out apart from that using your theory how would they know that small object was there to land close to it, talk about clutching at straws.

Oh I’m familiar with their cameras, not sure what you mean though, OPs anamoly and the small orange marker pics differ wildly in color and size for such a consistent camera, no?

You know there were tons of satellite fly by missions prior to Apollo 11 mapping the areas, not to mention Apollo 8’s manned orbit, right? (Re your straws
)

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Ove38

Guess they had real good batteries fifty years ago ?

Silver - zinc batteries

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Waste of time & money, human have not yet discover and understand the place we are living in (planet Earth), but still trying to explore others, how funny is that?

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: UdumbaraFlower

Not that funny, but very, very human.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Saint Exupery
You are replying to a ghost.
An ex-member.

...you know the rest.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CajunMetal

Apollo 8 didn't cover Apollo 16's landing site, though Apollos 12 and 14 did. Neither these nor the Lunar Orbiter probes had the kind of camera needed to spot a tiny orange marker from orbit (even a modern camera wouldn't), and the best image of Apollo 16's site from Lunar Orbiter (frame H3 here www.lpi.usra.edu... ) does not give anything like the detail shown in the Apollo record. See my page here for details of that onebigmonkey.com...

It's the out of focus orange marker for the geophone exactly where it is recorded as being sticking out like a sore thumb against a monochrome background.
edit on 2/12/2017 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: grandma

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
The digital versions of the images have been colour-balanced, so that might be the reason for a slight colour discrepancy in that marker. You can find unaltered scans at Flickr, like this one.

A full-scale crop from that image:

As has been pointed out, the location of the "red flag" corresponds to the location of geophone 3 and its marker: www.hq.nasa.gov... I even found the instructions for its deployment: www.hq.nasa.gov...

5. Walk 150 ft. emplace #3 geophone. Place flag by 3rd geophone. Pose for photo by LMP (alert him to take).

And thus we have the photo www.hq.nasa.gov... with the astronaut posing next to the marker.
edit on 2-12-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

OK, small amount of humble pie eating to be done.

This was bugging me so I set out trying to find other imagery of the ALSEP that would cover it, and finally I hit on this image

www.flickr.com...

AS16-114-18466

Here's a close up of the area in question that I've adjusted to make things a little clearer

On the left you can see the ALSEP central station, and you can also see the orange marker of the geophone line. Over on the right is the mortar assembly used with the geophone to carry out the seismic experiment. Attached to the mortar is (wait for it) a bright orange square flag on a tall pole that would allow it to stand proud of the horizon.

Apollo 14 used a similar set up, and you can see it in this image

The reason it isn't visible on many of the images is mostly because photos of the ALSEP equipment from up close are angled downwards so the flag isn't visible, but you can see the pole in photos of the mortar, and in this one

www.flickr.com...

you can see the bottom of it.

So, is it part of the ALSEP equipment? Yes.

Is it an orange flag? Yes.

Is it the orange flag I thought it was? No, and for that I accept my mistake and humbly apologise for it.

Is the mystery solved? Finally, yes

edit on 2/12/2017 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: clarity

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Phew, thanks for figuring it out for all of us. That was some real investigative work!

Another image of the mortar pack's flag: www.hq.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

You're glad that there isn't a huge tower on the Moon that was concealed for 45 years?

Why is it that the "skeptics" have to do all the work anyway?

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Video of the astronaut deploying the red flag: www.hq.nasa.gov...
After the flag was deployed, the astronaut took the closeup photos: www.hq.nasa.gov...

The flag actually doubled up as a radio antenna.

Thumper/Geophone Experiment

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

You're glad that there isn't a huge tower on the Moon that was concealed for 45 years?

I'm just glad we figured out which of the Apollo equipment this was. I got a bit too lazy settling down on the geophone marker (although it was too low to the ground and wrong colour), so big kudos to the monkey for trawling the images and finding it.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo

OK, small amount of humble pie eating to be done.

This was bugging me so I set out trying to find other imagery of the ALSEP that would cover it, and finally I hit on this image

www.flickr.com...

AS16-114-18466

Here's a close up of the area in question that I've adjusted to make things a little clearer

On the left you can see the ALSEP central station, and you can also see the orange marker of the geophone line. Over on the right is the mortar assembly used with the geophone to carry out the seismic experiment. Attached to the mortar is (wait for it) a bright orange square flag on a tall pole that would allow it to stand proud of the horizon.

Apollo 14 used a similar set up, and you can see it in this image

The reason it isn't visible on many of the images is mostly because photos of the ALSEP equipment from up close are angled downwards so the flag isn't visible, but you can see the pole in photos of the mortar, and in this one

www.flickr.com...

you can see the bottom of it.

So, is it part of the ALSEP equipment? Yes.

Is it an orange flag? Yes.

Is it the orange flag I thought it was? No, and for that I accept my mistake and humbly apologise for it.

Is the mystery solved? Finally, yes

Oh cool, thanks! Definitely different kinds of markers, and I have no problem accepting that that’s all it is.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
As I said on page 1, over to the great minds of ATS, and I have not been let down, I believe that enough evidence has been put forth AND also I have learnt so much regarding the mission and equipment.

Thanks to Onebigmonkeytoo and wildspace, some great videos and technical documents have been provided.

And thanks to the OP for a genuine unkown (at the time), not just another out of context youtube video with spooky music.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown
Times like these, is what I really love ATS for.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Take a bow my friend, really apreciated your links on this subject

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This discussion is galaxy-class quality, attaboys all around

The question of potential artifacts in Apollo imagery is worth confronting with serious analysis.

Here is another report on similar claims, including a claim that an Apollo solar wind collector in one photo was actual an alien tower on the horizon. I hope it identifies resources and methods useful to everybody the next time such a claim appears [and there be a next time].

See pp. 88-99 particularly.

www.jamesoberg.com...
edit on 3-12-2017 by JimOberg because:

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg
Where did that notion of towers on the Moon come from, anyway?

Oh, wait...
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I think the thread has been a salutary lesson in avoiding the pitfalls of the 'rush to judgement'.

There is an assumption by many that anything unusual, or not immediately identifiable, in an Apollo image is automatically a 'UFO' or some sort of accidental disclosure of a hitherto secret artifact of human or alien origin. I'm not saying this is what the OP did, but it's a common theme on this and many other fora that deal with the subject by those with a predisposition towards the idea that aliens walk among us, NASA hides stuff and the moon is just loaded with goodies left by ET.

As someone who who believes in the Apollo missions, based not on blind faith but an above average knowledge of the subject material, I also made an a priori judgement: this was a obviously a piece of Apollo hardware. Having decided this is what it was I then latched on the first piece of equipment that seemed to fit the bill, happily ignoring the protestations of people who rightly pointed out the inconsistencies with the equipment in terms of its size, shape and prominence over the horizon. Had those objectors not persisted, we would all have walked away with only a partially correct answer.

As important as avoiding the rush to judgement and reaching for the off switch thinking you're done is the need to admit when you have made a mistake. If more people did that humanity would progress further

edit on 4/12/2017 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: clarity

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Who says they did not go there and put a flag over there or something?

That said - the moon is a hollow alien base.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join