It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Totally qualified expert Kellyanne Conway will solve the nation's opioid crisis

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Meanwhile: In other news, Jeff Sessions feels like the opiate crisis needs MORE DEA agents. Because nothing fixes a drug problem like putting the users in jail.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

One leads to the other. Legally obtained opioids get cut off by the docs, but that doesn't stop the addiction. So addicted turn to street drugs.

Also, deaths are caused through overdose when someone tries to go cold turkey and then can't resist one more hit (addiction is incredibly powerful) and as they are not in a support program or do not have meds to ease getting clean, they take a dose that, due to going off for awhile, is now too big for their body to handle.

Addiction is a terrible Thing - a monster of the body and soul. It needs strong and relentless care to exorcise from the body and emotions.

Being an addict can lead to emotional issues like depression that keep people trapped as when they start to get sober, they realize how much they've screwed up their lives, and the siren song of the one thing that will make that horrible feeling of shame they are getting from all sides go away, is the opioids.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'd go for someone with a pharmacy background. They know more about the drugs and they have a bigger view when it comes to overprescription. They're also the ones directly dealing with things like pill mills.

I'd go for someone who understands and has successfully worked in addiction treatment and who was qualified to run a major program included budget requests and overseeing implementation of the program. At the very least it needs to be someone that sees addiction as a medical problem and who knows the methods that can rid people of it, possibly combined with a managerial team to work on implementation.

Kellyanne? Um. No.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

It doesn't help that drugs being illegal means that people who want help are afraid to seek it for fear being arrested or ostracized for their behavior. The way we treat addicts (like dirt scum) cycles into and feeds their addiction as the depression causes them to seek out more drugs for release.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Exactly. That's the "shame from all sides" I was talking about.

Crime rises with addiction, as well. People who would never have thought to steal or harm may, due to the need for a fix, become criminals. One would thing the DOJ would be invested in Preventing Crime, no??

Instead they are old-school "you made your bed so lie in it" types that think shame and destitution and jail are the "tough love" that will magically cure a medical problem, and that "willpower" is the ultimate answer.

Methinks they just want to fill up jails. Makes their pals happy in the private prison system.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Since we are on the subject of opiate prescription abuse, let's bring up another elephant in the room. Direct-to-consumer advertising

Direct-to-consumer advertising (DTC advertising) usually refers to the marketing of pharmaceutical products but also applies to the direct marketing of medical devices, consumer diagnostics and sometimes financial services. This form of advertising is directed toward patients, rather than healthcare professionals. The rhetorical objective of direct-to-consumer advertising is to directly influence the patient-physician dialogue in order to increase sales of a particular pharmaceutical drug.[1]

Going by conspiracy theory logic, the fact that no one talks about this in much form shows how dangerous it is. Keep in mind that only two countries in the world permit their use, with the US being one of them. But this isn't just my paranoid delusions or anything. Doctors hate them too.

Direct-to-consumer drug ads increasingly seen as problem

AMA’s vote highlighted growing concerns among health care providers and consumers about the affordability of prescription drugs and whether marketing by drug companies artificially inflates medication costs and pressures providers to prescribe expensive medications when less costly alternatives are available.

In a statement following the vote in November, AMA's board chair-elect, Patrice A. Harris, MD, MA, said support for “an advertising ban reflects concerns among physicians about the negative impact of commercially driven promotions and the role that marketing costs play in fueling escalating drug prices.”

Pharmaceutical companies don't care. They are looking to expand advertising into off label uses.

Now let's play a game, who here thinks that Kellyanne Conway will address these ads?

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

The federal government attempting to tackle something that is already illegal and the result of personal poor decisions at the individual level is laughable on its face--why not put someone laughable in charge of it?

I remember graduating from the D.A.R.E. program in elementary school in the 80s. I also remember being one of the biggest potheads in my high school in the 90s. I'm not bragging about the latter, I'm just saying that the federal program to deter drug use didn't work very well...and I'm sure that it cost a LOT.

link   

originally posted by: bgerbger
Yes, it's true, Kellyanne Conway has been appointed as Trump's opioid czar.

The opioid crisis is a real crisis, so what better way to deal with this than the appointment of totally qualified opioid expert Kellyanne Conway

The good people over at Gizmodo have given an excellent take on this development further showing us just how much Trump is winning.

gizmodo.com...

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Conway—a pollster and Trump confidante best known for repeatedly lying to the public and who has no medical or public health experience—will be overseeing the White House’s opioid control efforts. As Conway takes the reins, the BuzzFeed report noted, the White House has left the Office of National Drug Control Policy’s leadership role empty, failed to release any written opioid-control strategy, and has not requested funds to deplete a national public health emergency fund that currently sits at just $66,000.

So to enact their non-existent policy let's draft in Kellyanne, hooray.

Actually, she has had in her portfolio for some time a commission report on how to deal with this crisis, courtesy of Chris Christie.

Christie’s report described the steps needed as relatively simple, including limiting over-prescriptions, blocking Chinese fentanyl exports, and distributing naloxone, a drug that can stop fatal overdoses, to communities.

Seems ok with a commonsense approach. What has Conway had to say about the crisis so far?

Conway’s public record of statements on the issue is sparse and far from encouraging. She’s characterized opioids as a “war,” said the “best way to stop people dying from overdoses and drug abuse is by not starting in the first place,” and suggested that individual “will” was as important as funding while defending Medicaid cuts.

Yes, those are some excellent points Kellyanne. Why didn't those wretched junkies just not start using opioids in the first place? Indeed, today I walked around the metropolis I live in, giving out that advice to the many suffering users of opioids. All of them said 'By jove, that's it. I will cease to use any opiates right away, thank you good sir!'

So what will the administration do?

While the administration has paid lip service to the role of the health care system in saving lives impacted by opioid abuse, they’ve also proposed cuts to the ONDCP and cuts to grants intended to help workers displaced by the crisis. Republicans are clearly eyeing paying for their oncoming tax cut package with future cuts to health care programs for low-income people like Medicaid.

Jeff Sessions favors law enforcement and heavy-handed 'just say no campaigns' because these have been proven so successful in the war on drugs so far.

So while millions are dying, the r̶e̶g̶i̶m̶e̶ administration has a half-baked solution favoring largely debunked methods for dealing with this crisis, and a showpony who will likely tell us just how well thethis campaign is going.

Way to go Kellyanne, let the new war on drugs begin (because the previous one went so well).

What we need is someone to solve our "KELLYANNE CONWAY" epidemic..how this goof got to where she is now...I think I know what postion she really serves Trump-o-mania....

link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
Methinks they just want to fill up jails. Makes their pals happy in the private prison system.

Well everyone already knows that is what Sessions wants. He's making no secrets about it or anything. What with him deliberately expanding private prisons before implementing any drastic changes to the DOJ when he assumed the AG.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

The federal government attempting to tackle something that is already illegal and the result of personal poor decisions at the individual level is laughable on its face--why not put someone laughable in charge of it?

I remember graduating from the D.A.R.E. program in elementary school in the 80s. I also remember being one of the biggest potheads in my high school in the 90s. I'm not bragging about the latter, I'm just saying that the federal program to deter drug use didn't work very well...and I'm sure that it cost a LOT.

When I was in DARE, we had a school assembly where the "officer," actually passed around a bag of pot for everyone to smell it. Then they asked us if "we ever smelled this at home," as well as making distinct sounds with pieces asking us the same question.

Well. By the time the bag got back up to the "officer," it was empty.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

What we need is someone to solve our "KELLYANNE CONWAY" epidemic..how this goof got to where she is now...I think I know what postion she really serves Trump-o-mania....

Wasn't she the 'goof' that ran Trump's presidential campaign?
You know, the one where he beat the unbeatable Hillary Clinton... aka smartest woman in the world.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

You know, the one where he beat the unbeatable Hillary Clinton... aka smartest woman in the world.

Yup, and if you believe in federal government elections, she lost.

It's about time to get over it. It's going to take decades at this right for people to stop the "but Hillary," mantra.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: butcherguy

Yup, and if you believe in federal government elections, she lost.

It's about time to get over it. It's going to take decades at this right for people to stop the "but Hillary," mantra.

Just showing the other member 'how this goof got to where she is now'.
As if she just showed up at the White House one day with no resume or work history.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

So having surgery and then getting hooked on the prescribed painkillers is a "personal poor decision?"

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

... the result of personal poor decisions at the individual level is laughable on its face

Seriously... Just read the post DIRECTLY above yours.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm not sure what "limiting OTC prescriptions" means when Christie talks about reducing Opioids on the street. As a legitimate pain patient for 10 years now I can tell you anyone who has been using more than a month or 2 is an addict. It's unavoidable if you take them regularly. Your body becomes dependent on them to feel 'normal' regardless of the pain issues. I have voluntarily reduced my meds TWICE and had them reduced again last visit and face another reduction in a month. My doctor tells me neither he or I really have a choice. How is this going to change anything?

Like the vast majority of pain patients I take my meds and would certainly never sell them. I get urine tested every visit to ensure that I take them and there's no way to cheat. Where I was I could go out and do things and have somewhat of an active life, with these reductions all I can do is sit around because doing anything that will increase the pain causes me to get ahead and then you run short end of the month. The last thing anyone wants to do is go is through withdrawl.

I suspect other pain patients are in a similar situation where reducing their meds only causes them to stop doing anything and just gives them enough to barely scrape by. No activity that might make pain worse, just sitting around doing nothing. Great solution! That will stop people from overdosing on heroin and fentanyl. Nothing against Kelly Anne Conway but get someone with actual experience like Keith Richards to run it.

This is government run amok and messing with my healthcare - everything I feared about Obamacare come true. Thank you everyone who supported that. Enjoy your house payment insurance premiums, $10,000 deductibles and limited coverage.

I predict a high number of suicides from people who won't be able to manage on the "suck it up" therapy. Our rehab services will be overwhelmed in a few short months - just watch.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
BTW it's not an "Opioid crisis", it's a fentanyl and heroin overdose crisis. Actual use of prescription opiates has been declining over the last few years. They're casting the net too wide on this one. They already dealt with the "pill mills" down in Florida and are trying to clean up coal country where dealing meds has become a staple of the economy.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Well, we don't always agree, but I'll agree with you here.

Yes it stems from doctors. Many people wouldn't humor trying hard drugs, but if a doctor tells you you need it, and x amount a day.... You're likely to follow the direction.

Any human could become addicted if prescribed for to long. And addiction can lead people into dark places.

But I would say most deaths come from actually using heroin. The problem with it is you don't know the strength of it and now it's being cut with fetenyl.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
BTW it's not an "Opioid crisis", it's a fentanyl and heroin overdose crisis. Actual use of prescription opiates has been declining over the last few years. They're casting the net too wide on this one. They already dealt with the "pill mills" down in Florida and are trying to clean up coal country where dealing meds has become a staple of the economy.

We can't even educate ourselves...

Look at the above post please.

We have a FENTANYL problem.

They locked down Doctors ability to prescribe opiates.

Unless, you are a Pain Management Doctor with a patient contract.

And, we get tested like we are on probation.

My crime was I was unlucky enough to be injured.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It stems from pharmaceutical companies... Read the sources I've linked throughout the thread. First they whined and dined the doctors directly and through corruption and shady sales techniques pushed oxycotin over other products. Then they target consumers with DTC ads so that when they go to the doctor they specifically ask for the the medication they saw on tv, effectiveness be damned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join