It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Totally qualified expert Kellyanne Conway will solve the nation's opioid crisis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Well I thought Jared was taking this one on as well as bringing peace to the mideast and solving world hunger. Meanwhile he can't fill out a form with any accuracy.
Next month Kellyanne will announce the problem is solved as she has trump arrest all the users with the help of the military who have landed at every base to oversee the operation.
These folks will be executed ala Duturte in the Philippines and trump will be declared emperor of the United States for life. .

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The problem is prescription over drive. These people are not needle users in the park at night. Jesus get a clue.
It's veterans who have been prescribed opioid for pain. It's the lawyer, it's the priest it's the teacher.
You're archaic ideas just aren't going to fly in this discussion.
It's not 1968 dude.
The drugs aren't heroin coming over the border like the a hole thinks either. It's coming out of our pharmacies with a doctor's signature on it.
The drug is addictive and that is due to human physiology. So yeah just say no.
How stupid.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Another one. It's not a heroin problem. Yes that exist too but the problem is drugs that are manufactured and prescribed here. It's pills hot needles.
How can we solve this problem if we can't even identify it.
Get it out of your heads that this is a social issue. It's not. It's a medical issue that doctors have created with their signature. It's not the down and out behind a building with a rubber tourniquet, a spoon and a match.
Until we own it we won't help these folks.
A few years ago the VA decided that my best friend who had been prescribed opioids since coming back from Iraq would no longer be providing the pills. They gave her Tylenol instead. Yup.
Well we got through that but it wasn't easy. The VA is responsible for a lot of this problem.
The drugs are available on the street after doctors decide it's time to stop them. That is where the problem is because the street drugs are not pure and contain killer fentynol (SP) n them.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

Conway’s public record of statements on the issue is sparse and far from encouraging. She’s characterized opioids as a “war,” said the “best way to stop people dying from overdoses and drug abuse is by not starting in the first place,” and suggested that individual “will” was as important as funding while defending Medicaid cuts.

Wait. What? Many of the people who end up addicted to opiates were prescribed them by their doctors. Is Kelly Anne Conway suggesting that they should have just NOT taken the advice of their doctors?
edit on 30-11-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: bgerbger
Yes, it's true, Kellyanne Conway has been appointed as Trump's opioid czar.

The opioid crisis is a real crisis, so what better way to deal with this than the appointment of totally qualified opioid expert Kellyanne Conway

The good people over at Gizmodo have given an excellent take on this development further showing us just how much Trump is winning.

gizmodo.com...

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Conway—a pollster and Trump confidante best known for repeatedly lying to the public and who has no medical or public health experience—will be overseeing the White House’s opioid control efforts. As Conway takes the reins, the BuzzFeed report noted, the White House has left the Office of National Drug Control Policy’s leadership role empty, failed to release any written opioid-control strategy, and has not requested funds to deplete a national public health emergency fund that currently sits at just $66,000.

So to enact their non-existent policy let's draft in Kellyanne, hooray.

Actually, she has had in her portfolio for some time a commission report on how to deal with this crisis, courtesy of Chris Christie.

Christie’s report described the steps needed as relatively simple, including limiting over-prescriptions, blocking Chinese fentanyl exports, and distributing naloxone, a drug that can stop fatal overdoses, to communities.

Seems ok with a commonsense approach. What has Conway had to say about the crisis so far?

Conway’s public record of statements on the issue is sparse and far from encouraging. She’s characterized opioids as a “war,” said the “best way to stop people dying from overdoses and drug abuse is by not starting in the first place,” and suggested that individual “will” was as important as funding while defending Medicaid cuts.

Yes, those are some excellent points Kellyanne. Why didn't those wretched junkies just not start using opioids in the first place? Indeed, today I walked around the metropolis I live in, giving out that advice to the many suffering users of opioids. All of them said 'By jove, that's it. I will cease to use any opiates right away, thank you good sir!'

So what will the administration do?

While the administration has paid lip service to the role of the health care system in saving lives impacted by opioid abuse, they’ve also proposed cuts to the ONDCP and cuts to grants intended to help workers displaced by the crisis. Republicans are clearly eyeing paying for their oncoming tax cut package with future cuts to health care programs for low-income people like Medicaid.

Jeff Sessions favors law enforcement and heavy-handed 'just say no campaigns' because these have been proven so successful in the war on drugs so far.

So while millions are dying, the r̶e̶g̶i̶m̶e̶ administration has a half-baked solution favoring largely debunked methods for dealing with this crisis, and a showpony who will likely tell us just how well thethis campaign is going.

Way to go Kellyanne, let the new war on drugs begin (because the previous one went so well).

So is it your position that we suddenly hit this opioid crisis in the last 10 months?

It would appear the 8 years before this point would have been a good place to start addressing it.

Maybe give a person a chance before dogging them?

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Wow IQ goes south.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Nothing to do with opiate users stopping using their drug of choice.

You never addressed this: Who are you to tell someone else what to do with their own bodies?

Just because it makes you feel better about yourself isn't a good reason.

Perhaps I phrased that incorrectly, as I don't tell people what to do with their bodies, but I would allow their addiction to be looked at as a health matter, not one of law-enforcement. Sessions is a heavy handed law-and-order proponent, and Conway backs his words.

Harm reduction tries to reduce risk with the ultimate goal of the users being able to cease their addiction on their own terms. It's not always successful, but better to give them a chance rather than lock them up, or leave them on the street with no viable treatment options.

This is why we have an epidemic.
Someone will always be there to take care of us when we make poor decisions.
What incentive does a drug addict have to never start in the first place?
Why they even have a drug to revive me when I OD nowadays.
I don't believe we need to put anyone in prison over using drugs.
We need to raise a generation that doesn't rely on a 'momma' government that will take care of us when we choose to do unwise things.

Dude. You need to go research Portugal. Helping people who fall into addiction isn't a moral failing and doesn't lead to more addicts. This includes needle exchanges.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

And again.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

Every one of us is prone to abuse. Sorry that's the nature of the drug and the human body and opioid receptors within our brains.
Everybody could become a victim. Anyone.... you me anyone. It's not a matter of will.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Question. How does Obama's actions over the last 8 years justify hiring Kellyanne Conway to combat the opiate crisis? Like you said, Obama didn't do enough during his tenure, but Obama isn't the President anymore. Donald Trump is. So WHY are you doing a "what about Obama?" routine when Trump is appointing someone who has no business being NEAR this problem?

Dammit. You people need to move into 2017. Hell it's almost 2018. Obama stopped being President a while ago.
edit on 30-11-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Question. How does Obama's actions over the last 8 years justify hiring Kellyanne Conway to combat the opiate crisis? Like you said, Obama didn't do enough during his tenure, but Obama isn't the President anymore. Donald Trump is. So WHY are you doing a "what about Obama?" routine when Trump is appointing someone who has no business being NEAR this problem?

Dammit. You people need to move into 2017. Hell it's almost 2018. Obama stopped being President a while ago.

I'm not, just pointing out that apparently appointing the stereotypical drug czar hasn't worked in the past so what makes it work now?

Sure, a doctor can understand all the reasons why a person overdoses from a medical standpoint, but what good does that do anyone? Hiring someone that can organize those under them to do what's needed is more important. Who's to say she isn't going to hire a slew of medical professionals under her?

To think a doctor or other politician is going to be some magic bullet is thinking just like those in the past...and look where that's gotten us.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

You know. If I go into surgery and the surgeon botches the surgery, I don't turn around and go to a mechanic to perform the surgery instead. I go to another surgeon. Listening to not-doctors about medical concerns, ESPECIALLY involving drugs, has gotten us the war on drugs. It's not like there isn't precedent for this behavior in government. It's people like you who want to doubt expert opinion and allow this silliness that has resulted in the biggest and longest lasting infringement on our rights in US history.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
well she looks like someone who loves to abuse the opiates so maybe she knows just what to do.
i seriously doubt it though.

maybe they thought they needed someone who looked experienced

lets get the leather skinned skeleton to be the opiod czar

could call # face

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Nothing to do with opiate users stopping using their drug of choice.

You never addressed this: Who are you to tell someone else what to do with their own bodies?

Just because it makes you feel better about yourself isn't a good reason.

Perhaps I phrased that incorrectly, as I don't tell people what to do with their bodies, but I would allow their addiction to be looked at as a health matter, not one of law-enforcement. Sessions is a heavy handed law-and-order proponent, and Conway backs his words.

Harm reduction tries to reduce risk with the ultimate goal of the users being able to cease their addiction on their own terms. It's not always successful, but better to give them a chance rather than lock them up, or leave them on the street with no viable treatment options.

This is why we have an epidemic.
Someone will always be there to take care of us when we make poor decisions.
What incentive does a drug addict have to never start in the first place?
Why they even have a drug to revive me when I OD nowadays.
I don't believe we need to put anyone in prison over using drugs.
We need to raise a generation that doesn't rely on a 'momma' government that will take care of us when we choose to do unwise things.

Dude. You need to go research Portugal. Helping people who fall into addiction isn't a moral failing and doesn't lead to more addicts. This includes needle exchanges.

I have read of Portugal's work on their problem. Good for them, but my initial reference to the needle handouts was about what has been done so far.
The problem is exploding.... what has worked so well here?
Believe it or not, I have been through a drug treatment program, although not as an an addict, so I have seen the inside of the issue. It was one of the best at the time... with a recidivism rate of around 98%. Yes, 2% stayed clean.
I still advocate for the abolition of drug possession/use laws.
What business of mine is it if you are weak and decide to use heroin for that first time, whether due to peer pressure or whatever other reason?

There is no mystery about it, opiates and opioids are addictive and destructive. So who decides it is a great idea to start using them? Dumbasses.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

You know. If I go into surgery and the surgeon botches the surgery, I don't turn around and go to a mechanic to perform the surgery instead. I go to another surgeon. Listening to not-doctors about medical concerns, ESPECIALLY involving drugs, has gotten us the war on drugs. It's not like there isn't precedent for this behavior in government. It's people like you who want to doubt expert opinion and allow this silliness that has resulted in the biggest and longest lasting infringement on our rights in US history.

Well, we had a military and LEO lifer, then a recovering alcoholic prior to now....how is it exactly that they were qualified anymore than Conway? I find it funny that you think there is some expert opinion that will fix the issue across the board and can be implemented widely.

And not sure how your rights are being infringed right now.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

That's the key. We should strive to emulate Portugal. They decriminalized all drugs like you suggested, but they also treat addiction as a medical disease. Provided you want help, they'll provide it. Nothing forced about it. As such, their usage and recidivism rates have plummeted since they implemented this policy.

It baffles me why more attention isn't being called to this country. Usually the go to defense is that Portugal is far smaller and their policies can't translate to our policies. Uh. Yes they can. It's called up scaling the policy. It may not be as easy to implement due to a larger population needing to be in agreement, but it is certainly worth pursuing. It's gotta be better than what we've been doing for the past 100 years plus.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
well she looks like someone who loves to abuse the opiates so maybe she knows just what to do.
i seriously doubt it though.

maybe they thought they needed someone who looked experienced

lets get the leather skinned skeleton to be the opiod czar

could call # face

Pretty sure you are thinking of Pelosi....

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Wow IQ goes south.

No, what you are seeing is lack of emotion from me.

I simply don't care about the addicts.

I really don't.

That is the job of their family. The ones that started them down the path that made them think that injecting a substance bought from a guy on a street corner into their veins is a bangup intelligent idea.
Might want ti push the IQ thing on them.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Well, we had a military and LEO lifer, then a recovering alcoholic prior to now....how is it exactly that they were qualified anymore than Conway? I find it funny that you think there is some expert opinion that will fix the issue across the board and can be implemented widely.

HA! The solution is blindingly in our faces and is beyond easy to implement.
How Medical Marijuana Could Help End the Opioid Epidemic

Where have you been?

And not sure how your rights are being infringed right now.

So there isn't a single part of the Constitution that entitles the government to tell you what substances you can or cannot put into your body. The fact that the war on drugs exists shows that Constitutional law was manipulated from it's original source material to reason that this was legal. Originally they had to use stamps and required you to own a stamp to buy drugs. Then they just stopped issuing the stamps. Then they just stopped pretending and started the war on drugs.

There is NOTHING on the up-and-up on the history of the war on drugs. It is the biggest farce against the people our government has EVER undertaken against its people.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

That's the key. We should strive to emulate Portugal. They decriminalized all drugs like you suggested, but they also treat addiction as a medical disease. Provided you want help, they'll provide it. Nothing forced about it. As such, their usage and recidivism rates have plummeted since they implemented this policy.

It baffles me why more attention isn't being called to this country. Usually the go to defense is that Portugal is far smaller and their policies can't translate to our policies. Uh. Yes they can. It's called up scaling the policy. It may not be as easy to implement due to a larger population needing to be in agreement, but it is certainly worth pursuing. It's gotta be better than what we've been doing for the past 100 years plus.

There is always the possibilty that someone in our government might push for that.
I hear people here saying that Kellyanne looks like she is using opioids, that is really giving her a chance.
I do not like Sessions. I don't agree with his stand on various issues.
But that doesn't mean that Conway will follow his lead. She could put together a commission with people on it that would make good decisions that would help the weak ones that succumb drugs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join