It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Totally qualified expert Kellyanne Conway will solve the nation's opioid crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Yes, it's true, Kellyanne Conway has been appointed as Trump's opioid czar.

The opioid crisis is a real crisis, so what better way to deal with this than the appointment of totally qualified opioid expert Kellyanne Conway

The good people over at Gizmodo have given an excellent take on this development further showing us just how much Trump is winning.

gizmodo.com...

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Conway—a pollster and Trump confidante best known for repeatedly lying to the public and who has no medical or public health experience—will be overseeing the White House’s opioid control efforts. As Conway takes the reins, the BuzzFeed report noted, the White House has left the Office of National Drug Control Policy’s leadership role empty, failed to release any written opioid-control strategy, and has not requested funds to deplete a national public health emergency fund that currently sits at just $66,000.

So to enact their non-existent policy let's draft in Kellyanne, hooray.

Actually, she has had in her portfolio for some time a commission report on how to deal with this crisis, courtesy of Chris Christie.

Christie’s report described the steps needed as relatively simple, including limiting over-prescriptions, blocking Chinese fentanyl exports, and distributing naloxone, a drug that can stop fatal overdoses, to communities.

Seems ok with a commonsense approach. What has Conway had to say about the crisis so far?

Conway’s public record of statements on the issue is sparse and far from encouraging. She’s characterized opioids as a “war,” said the “best way to stop people dying from overdoses and drug abuse is by not starting in the first place,” and suggested that individual “will” was as important as funding while defending Medicaid cuts.

Yes, those are some excellent points Kellyanne. Why didn't those wretched junkies just not start using opioids in the first place? Indeed, today I walked around the metropolis I live in, giving out that advice to the many suffering users of opioids. All of them said 'By jove, that's it. I will cease to use any opiates right away, thank you good sir!'

So what will the administration do?

While the administration has paid lip service to the role of the health care system in saving lives impacted by opioid abuse, they’ve also proposed cuts to the ONDCP and cuts to grants intended to help workers displaced by the crisis. Republicans are clearly eyeing paying for their oncoming tax cut package with future cuts to health care programs for low-income people like Medicaid.

Jeff Sessions favors law enforcement and heavy-handed 'just say no campaigns' because these have been proven so successful in the war on drugs so far.

So while millions are dying, the r̶e̶g̶i̶m̶e̶ administration has a half-baked solution favoring largely debunked methods for dealing with this crisis, and a showpony who will likely tell us just how well thethis campaign is going.

Way to go Kellyanne, let the new war on drugs begin (because the previous one went so well).
edit on 30-11-2017 by bgerbger because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
The old liberal solution was to hand out free needles to addicts.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

Opiod deaths have surpasses car deaths for the first time in American history.

Crazy considering how much Afghanistan produces. Almost reminds us of Vietnam... How odd.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

And that reduced the major problem with sharing used needles, you know it as HIV which leads to AIDS. Totally different problem and solution.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

And needle exchanges have proven their worth in reducing the transmission of infectious diseases.

www.hri.global...

Needle and syringe exchange programmes (NEPs) are a scientifically proven intervention to reduce a wide range of harms for drug injectors (not least HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, bacterial infections, injecting wounds and overdose).

Would you prefer to have ever escalating infectious diseases due to the reuse of dirty needles by addicts?

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: bgerbger

And needle exchanges have proven their worth in reducing the transmission of infection diseases.

www.hri.global...

Needle and syringe exchange programmes (NEPs) are a scientifically proven intervention to reduce a wide range of harms for drug injectors (not least HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, bacterial infections, injecting wounds and overdose).

Would you prefer to have ever escalating infectious diseases due to the reuse of dirty needles by addicts?

And they solved the crisis?
Or is it worse.... as you seem to be saying?

Myself?
I don't GAF about it.
I am against drug laws.
It is a case of it being their own bodies, who are you to tell them what to do with them?

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   

And needle exchanges have proven their worth in reducing the transmission of infection diseases.

www.hri.global...

Myself?
I don't GAF about it.
I am against drug laws.
It is a case of it being their own bodies, who are you to tell them what to do with them?

Apples and oranges, the spread of infectious diseases, and the opioid crisis.

Through harm reduction the spread of infectious diseases has been reduced. Nothing to do with opiate users stopping using their drug of choice.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   

www.hri.global...

Myself?
I don't GAF about it.
I am against drug laws.

Apples and oranges, the spread of infectious diseases, and the opioid crisis.

Through harm reduction the spread of infectious diseases has been reduced. Nothing to do with opiate users stopping using their drug of choice.

Then maybe we need to look at what 8 years of Obama leadership did to give us what we have now?

Instead of faulting someone before they have had a chance to even try (Kellyane)?

Or we could just let the stupid #s die and consider it consequences of poor choices.

No one, including those on prescription opioids are forced to take them.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Nothing to do with opiate users stopping using their drug of choice.

You never addressed this: Who are you to tell someone else what to do with their own bodies?

Just because it makes you feel better about yourself isn't a good reason.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Like most of Trump appointments, Conway IS NOT QUALIFIED for the job. Just like Carson for public housing. Would you hire a plumber to preform brain surgery on you? Of course not. A PLUMBER WOULD NOT BE QUALIFIED!

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Drug abuse will never be eradicated.
Education and making those prone to abuse aware of the devastating consequences of drug abuse, and offering them an oppertunity and/or alternative depending on how long and severe the addiction is.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   

You never addressed this: Who are you to tell someone else what to do with their own bodies?

Perhaps I phrased that incorrectly, as I don't tell people what to do with their bodies, but I would allow their addiction to be looked at as a health matter, not one of law-enforcement. Sessions is a heavy handed law-and-order proponent, and Conway backs his words.

Harm reduction tries to reduce risk with the ultimate goal of the users being able to cease their addiction on their own terms. It's not always successful, but better to give them a chance rather than lock them up, or leave them on the street with no viable treatment options.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   

The same reason why needle exchange programs exist. It costs the people more money to save these users lives by treating them from overdoses and other issues that fallout from so many people on drugs than it would be to try and reduce the amount of users.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Perhaps I phrased that incorrectly, as I don't tell people what to do with their bodies, but I would allow their addiction to be looked at as a health matter, not one of law-enforcement. Sessions is a heavy handed law-and-order proponent, and Conway backs his words.

Harm reduction tries to reduce risk with the ultimate goal of the users being able to cease their addiction on their own terms. It's not always successful, but better to give them a chance rather than lock them up, or leave them on the street with no viable treatment options.

This is why we have an epidemic.
Someone will always be there to take care of us when we make poor decisions.
What incentive does a drug addict have to never start in the first place?
Why they even have a drug to revive me when I OD nowadays.
I don't believe we need to put anyone in prison over using drugs.
We need to raise a generation that doesn't rely on a 'momma' government that will take care of us when we choose to do unwise things.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Incentive to never start? Are you kidding? There are ONLY incentives to start.
You have no idea what hard drugs does to a body. Do you think people start abusing drugs because others have their back?
Oh brother

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I don't even trust Kellyanne Conway to solve her own Bolivian Marching Powder crisis, let alone somebody elses opiate crisis.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Yes, as we have seen with his White House staff, trump only chooses the very best, and most qualified people. Conway looks as though she may have personal experience with the opioid epidemic.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42

Incentive to never start? Are you kidding? There are ONLY incentives to start.
You have no idea what hard drugs does to a body. Do you think people start abusing drugs because others have their back?
Oh brother

I could be a junkie right now.... except that I had the good sense not to use heroin.

I am a guy that made the right choices, and you are telling me that I don't know what is right?

What I am saying is that we are raising generations that do not have to be responsible for their own actions.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Raising generations never involves telling them that they are not responsible for their own actions.
Given the wrong circumstances it doesnt take a whole lot of bad decisions to end up a serious junkie.

And once you start using you become a slave to your craving. Being a drug addict craving for your next hit is somewhat similar to not being able(in a very absolute and abstract way) to go to the toilet but you really REALLY have to go.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Drugs are not going to go away, EVER. In the 80s we had "The War ON Drugs" it has always been and always will be a problem. I take Oxy for sever pain, I have to go to a pain management dr, every single month. I am written a script physically. I have to take it to the Pharmacy and have it filled. My name is entered into the data base, and the pharmacy would know if I had ANY narcotic prescription filled, at another pharmacy. If I did, I would be flagged and reported.

The days of DR shopping are over, so as far as LEGAL prescription, what more can they do? I need my medication, its already ridiculous how much I have to go through...Oh yes I also am submitted to a drug test, randomly it seems to be about once every 3 months. If I test positive for ANYTHING other than my own medication, I am terminated and reported to the state. Also if I do not test positive for my meds, I can be cut off, because my pills have a $10 street value, and I get 120 per month. Some people were getting them filled and selling them.

The problem is all of the synthetic drugs, and Heroin out on the street now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join