It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical advice needed - General Surgery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I’m in some need of help and would value any professional input regarding procedures that could possibly be done in my case. For some reason I feel I’m left in the dark as I do not get the understanding answers on my questions (even after explaining that I do not understand). It feels like the doctors think it’s above me to understand the detail.
I’m not a straightforward case as my life was saved some 35+ years ago when I was in my early 20’s. ¾’s of my stomach was removed, my spleen and 1 kidney. The cut was from the bottom right of my abandonment up and through 3 ribs on my left side. I also had a piece of rib removed for drainage around my left lung which had an abscess of 1.2L. My heart and left lung are grown together with the recovery of tissue through the years. I did however have a normal life due to Dr. Lawrence a brilliant general surgeon practicing in the then Nelspruit’s Rob Ferreira hospital, South Africa. He is now retired and I cannot get hold of him. It is believed that he moved to New Zealand but came back to South Africa, but that is where I loose track. He will remember me as he was a friend of my brother–in-law a general surgeon of Bloemfontein. He was not my doctor but stepped in on request of my brother–in-law in those days. I can still remember how he fought for my life in ICU and we even made the newspapers then.
Unfortunately due to my age and active life everything is torn to pieces by now. I had an operation in February this year to fix a torn diaphragm and two stomach hernias. I’m fully recovered by now but two new hernias appear, starting with the first one just after I left the hospital. So it’s back to square one.
I think I’m still strong enough but I’m getting older and cannot repeat this massif operation every year. The diaphragm was not fixed as they felt it was better to leave it, as is, after they opened me up. I cannot get a strait answer why, therefore the interest of getting involved and understanding the full situation is of need to me. They want to operate in the New Year, but I’m putting a hold on it. I developed a eating and massage method for my situation not to be uncomfortable until I feel ready for the next operation. My mindset and rest of my bodily functions are excellent for my age and I recover very fast from any operation or ailment.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
If you want a professional opinion ask a professional, not a "conspiracy website."

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Talk to your doctor.

And possibly a lawyer.
edit on 30-11-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
If your Doctor can't or won't explain these things in a way you understand, you need a different Dr. They work for you and if you're not happy, go somewhere else.
Get a 2nd opinion/consultation. It's your body, keep asking questions till you do understand.

As far as advice relating to your specific condition? We're not Surgeons and this is way out of our league.
Hangnails and acne maybe....not this.

ETA :

Unfortunately due to my age and active life everything is torn to pieces by now. I had an operation in February this year to fix a torn diaphragm and two stomach hernias. I’m fully recovered by now but two new hernias appear, starting with the first one just after I left the hospital. So it’s back to square one.

If your active lifestyle is doing that to your body?......you really need to think about just staying home every once in awhile.
edit on 30-11-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

As Phage points out, you're not going to find any surgeons on here unfortunately. Having been through a couple of surgeries myself the last few years I can somewhat relate to your experience so the best advice I can give you is that if the Dr./surgeon you're currently dealing with isn't answering your questions in a way that you are satisfied with please go get a second opinion and then a 3rd opinion. I had 2 orthopedic surgeons tell me that I needed spinal surgery a few years ago because crushed discs in my C spine with the worst damage at C4/C5 and C5/C6 with varying degrees of degradation above and below.

It caused severe neuropathy and while I didn't have any paralysis, the nerve damage was bad enough that the pain was agonizing and I had no feeling at all in my right arm and hand. My face was numb and I looked as if I had a stroke with my lip hanging on one side. As a musician I was ready to do whatever I needed to get the use of my hand and arm back but I was always being pushed out the door with less than satisfactory explanations and most of my questions were left unanswered and I was brushed off with " We can talk about all of that AFTER surgery".

So I went to 2 more Ortho Surgeons. one more also said that surgery was absolutely necessary and tried to book it then and there. A 3rd Ortho said that because of where it was in my neck, there was a very real possibility of permanent quadriplegia and that if I was willing to put the work in I could get the use of my arm and hand back with intensive physical therapy. He said I probably would never play bass again but I wouldn't be a quadriplegic. 5 years later, no spinal surgery and I play live and do session work in the studio for extra cash. So please... get a referral from your primary care doctor to speak with at least 2 more surgeons and don't settle for half assed answers. If they aren't willing to take the time to properly discuss things with you then don't let them cut you up.

In my case, the 2 who wanted to cut into my throat to get to my spine were going to do the surgery at a teaching hospital. I was going to be a learning experience for the med students. They used my brother as a guinea pig at the same hospital by convincing my sister in law they had no other options. Because my brother had a glioblastoma, he lost the right to make his own medical decisions and my sister inlaw had power of attorney and was his medical proxy. He lost all quality of life from the surgery and only lived another 3 1/2 months. So again... please get more than 1 opinion. Especially if they won't take the time to explain every detail you want hammered out. It's your life.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Here in the US-depending on all your ailments-the very first place we go to is a top notch hospital for a full and detailed diagnosis like John's-Hopkins in Baltimore, The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and a great heart institute in Cincinnati.

I've personally gone with family members to all the above and there are a few others like in Los Angeles that are internationally known-all the US Presidents and ultra-rich Arab Sheiks go there.

So, being an American, I would say get here fast and get their very expert opinions if you can travel. Sounds like your life is threatened so if I could I'd get the best 2nd opinion I could afford. Best of luck and sounds like you've still got alot of living to do.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
There are some excellent Doctors who are members on ATS. I had read some answers in other treads that was professional of high quality, so hopefully one of them will answer.
I am getting second opinions but are just broadening my understanding at this stage. If I will be lucky, that's the difference but who knows
edit on 0C172017-11-30T02:47:42-06:00ThursdayAmerica/Chicago2 by ICycle2 because: Spelling mistake

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   

There are some excellent Doctors who are members on ATS.
For example?

I am getting second oppressions but are just broadening my understanding at this stage.
I would prefer second opinions.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Didn't you see? They're in the treads. Poor doctors never had a chance when they got run over.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

*sigh*

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Not sure about MD's but there are a few pretty good nurses.......

That being said and offering nothing specific as 1) I'm strictly pediatrics, 2) don't know your chart in any detail:

My general advice:
1) ALWAYS get a second opinion
2) If the doctor you have is unable or unwilling to spend the time explaining in detail, in language you are comfortable with exactly what they think is wrong and why, plus the plan for your care then its time to move on from this. Its their ethical and moral obligation and in many placed legal obligation to do so.
3) If you have faith in the surgeon from your past, its possible that he trained others that might still be practicing. They may be available if he is not
4) The doctors and nurses work for you not the other way around.

Good luck!!!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

If its not their interest, they run it down

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I'm sorry you went through what you did, that's inconceivable. There is no excuse for lousy medical assistance.

Advice from a foreigner: 'me'
1. Move to Canada.
2. Get advice from 3 or more doctors.
3. Faith is good, always rely on it when needed because faith moves mountains, even athiestic ones.
4. There's always hope.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'm very sorry you are having to go thru all this.

All I can offer is what I know from navigating the medical world ,multiple family member's surgeries.

1) Surgeons are cutters. It's what they do, and are trained do. So of course any solution will involve cutting.

2) Educate yourself about some of your past procedures. JAMA is a medical journal and with all you've had done it's VERY
possible your previous Doctor has written an article regarding your past surgeries. Of course you wouldn't be identified by name, but you may find out more information you weren't aware of this way.

There are more medical publications out there and maybe someone here can help name them?

3) You sound like you know what most of the problem is, so now it's time to double down and dig in to learn more about Post Operative outcomes from any and all procedures that may possibly help you.

Surgeons are great at the cutting, but usually suck at post operative care and don't pay as much attention to quality of life afterwards. If you survived the operation, well hey! They did their job. However if you're worse off or complications set in that doesn't do you any good.

Any good Surgeon will and can tell you percentages of patients who's functions improved, stayed the same or were worse off after surgery. You usually can google a Doctor and look up any legal suits they have been involved in. It's usually public record.

The reason I say educate yourself is the more you know about what possible surgical options you may have and the TYPES of surgical options than you are better equipped to make your own decision. For example Most Ortho Surgeons
CAN operate for disc/back problems, but in reality Neurosurgeons have better long term outcomes. Altho you'd think of them as just "brain Doc's".

For major surgeries you usually have to be "cleared". What this means is a cardio stress test, pulmonary testing and a few others to rule out unexpected problems in surgery. You will be under anesthesia so there is a need for pulmonary function to be accessed.

YOU are your own best advocate!
Researching all this is work, but just going in an asking a Doctor to "fix this" to me is unrealistic. They can only do so much and you know you better than anyone else!!!

You said the Doctors aren't answering your questions to your satisfaction. OK THEN!
Are you asking smarter questions?

In a consultation you are one of many in a Doctor's day long trail of patients. By learning some medical terminology and knowing what outcome YOU NEED you jog them into things they know but forget to verbalize. You get a better diagnosis and it helps both of you. Make them go over your chart WITH you!!! They "skim" and sometimes miss things.

Hope this helps.
It sounds like I'm tossing this back on you and 80% I am because you are who this affects. The more educated you are the better a Doc can help you. The more specific you are the more information they can get into with you.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You are not my teacher and I am not your student. Please research all the Doctor answers yourself. Maybe that will keep you busy and stop you from terrorising this thread. You left no positive remark since you started participating in this thread.

If you have a problem with my 100,000 year upgrade thread please leave your remarks there. Maybe you will then notice this one’s about my health.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Distilled water and fasting for 30 days is my recommendation.

Get well soon.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Thanx for your time, I'll check JAMA, yes I do know and understand a little bit more than it looks. I just started with ATS but as you see the starting remarks were only acknowledging conspiracy members. You just do not get a thread without negativity anymore. Do not need that.
By next year I should know as mush as the Doctor about my specific situation except for the cutting part. I got some red-ant genes and will educate myself over the next 2 months.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 23432

Do fast when needed and it work wonders. I also eat very selectively and healthy. People next to me do not even know or can realize that I have a problem

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Phage is right....Conspiracy sites are not the place for competent medical advice, opinions or diagnosis. Ive got over 30 years medical background, training and applications myself....and Im only qualified to tell you...that Im not qualified to advise you anything more than that.

See your physician or physicians, get adequaet testings and re-tesings...2nd, even 3rd opinions..going from there.

Good luck to you.

EMT
Advanced LIfe Support
Medicl Triage Assesment

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Something is leaning on the insurance-end?
The better insurance you have the more likely to get better service?
Are they saying more tests more tests more tests?

I know that when you have good insurance, doctors see that as a way to buy their new car for the year.
When you don't have good insurance, they basically discourage you from having them do any of the work.
I mean the first thing they do before they even check your vitals is make sure you can pay one way or another.

Seems to me if you're in South Africa- you could search for an organization called doctors without borders.

Good luck.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join