It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats in Congress Oppose Tax Cuts For Americans - That is Callous - But They Want Your Vote.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Good use the returned tax money to pay back loans taken from my Social Security Fund.
Paying for the last round of tax breaks for the 1%..

Just pay back what was paid to the 1% that they did not pay into the Social Security Fund in the first place.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Yeah tax cuts for the 1% trickling down on the plebs from their palace on high..

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Maybe they didn't vote for it because it's a terrible tax plan. I mean the only reason the GOP passed it is because their rich donors threatened to cut their funding.

Trickle down simply doesn't work. The rich get richer. Middle class income stagnates. And the poverty level increases. Let's also not forget that it inevitably ends in recession.

The only reason Republicans continue to support it as a viable economic plan is because they associate it with some fantastical, nostalgia tinged, Golden Age of Reagan. But it is those very policies that have led to so much wealth being held by so few that we see today.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Well, to be fair, most republicans don't want us to have a tax cut either.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

It should be noted, but I know no one will listen anyways, that reducing taxes while the economy is booming is dumb. It just creates a bubble while simultaneously removing the govenrment's tools to fix the economy should that bubble burst.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Reducing taxes and NOT reducing spending is dumb.

Unless you think that government spends our money wisely.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Funny you say that since this tax bill will balloon the debt by about $1.7 trillion.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

By all accounts it wouldn’t lower anyone’s taxes except for corporations..

It raises taxes on the middle class due to the ending of tax breaks they were receiving.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Please. Everything about that "tax cut bill" is designed to Raise taxes on middle class Americans and hit poor people in the gut, repeatedly.

The removal for some small business deductions alone will cost my family thousands. Screw the GOP. They are going to lose their jobs. This bill is condemned by the CBO, by the vast majority of economists, by the AARP, by the JTC, and the entire healthcare industry.

Go sell crazy somewhere else. This is a Massive CON JOB.

Done here. Can't believe people don't see it coming...the giant vacuum sucking middle class
Money up to the 1% and .01%, and making more poverty in America with a decimated safety net. That's what those who have want for the rest of us. Why? Either they don't understand it or they are too self-interested to care? I don't know.

edit on 30-11-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

By all accounts it wouldn’t lower anyone’s taxes except for corporations..

It raises taxes on the middle class due to the ending of tax breaks they were receiving.

If you are a middle-class employee without big business-related deductions, the amount of Federal Taxes you pay to the Federal Government will decrease.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Like you, I'm likely to lose business-related tax deductions, and will pay MORE in taxes due to this Tax Reform package.

But unlike you, I'm thinking of the "greater good" that lower taxes CAN bring to society.

We'll know within 12 months if the plan worked as intended.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Like you, I'm likely to lose business-related tax deductions, and will pay MORE in taxes due to this Tax Reform package.

But unlike you, I'm thinking of the "greater good" that lower taxes CAN bring to society.

There is NO "greater good" here. This is a gift to the already abundantly gifted, and you and I will see NO benefit NOR will the nation. There will be less of a safety net, Medicaid and Medicare will be on the chopping block so they can pretend to be all worried about the deficit again (as long as all that deficit talk only blocks policies they don't like).

A recession is the result of stupidity like this. How will that work to the "greater good?" Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security will be cut. Reps think that's awesome until they realize that the "greater good" is really some private jet owner getting a new yacht- you know, a nicer, bigger one.

I'm so sad at how the voices of reason, those calling this " financial malpractice" from REAGAN'S financial team are not being heard in favor of the Merced and Koch families threats to stop donations to the GOP.

They may think they are saving their party but I and so many people are pissed and will see losses to the point that they will not survive mid-terms 2018 and MAYBE we can staunch the bleeding before the whole damn economy crashes like Kansas.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Interesting that there's not one single response to my challenge.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Reducing taxes and NOT reducing spending is dumb.

Unless you think that government spends our money wisely.

Ding Ding Ding !!!!!!

WINNER !!!!

Spending has to be reduced by the same level that taxes are cut just to keep a status quo.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

There is NO "greater good" here. This is a gift to the already abundantly gifted, and you and I will see NO benefit NOR will the nation. There will be less of a safety net, Medicaid and Medicare will be on the chopping block so they can pretend to be all worried about the deficit again (as long as all that deficit talk only blocks policies they don't like).

A recession is the result of stupidity like this. How will that work to the "greater good?" Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security will be cut. Reps think that's awesome until they realize that the "greater good" is really some private jet owner getting a new yacht- you know, a nicer, bigger one.

I'm so sad at how the voices of reason, those calling this " financial malpractice" from REAGAN'S financial team are not being heard in favor of the Merced and Koch families threats to stop donations to the GOP.

They may think they are saving their party but I and so many people are pissed and will see losses to the point that they will not survive mid-terms 2018 and MAYBE we can staunch the bleeding before the whole damn economy crashes like Kansas.

Exactly. It's not the tax cuts the left fears, it's the freebies. Yes, some will get cut. Thought not the ones YOU pose as a scare tactic. Not Medicare. It will likely get expanded as the ACA flatlines.

You talk of donations to the GOP but it's the Democrat Party that is suffering from it's lowest donation levels from their 'Billionaires' in years.

Your greater good isn't mine nor 'ours'. We are not billionaires. We are those that have seen better times and more opportunity and care not one bit which or how much both parties are culpable.

Let the GOP go down. Let the Democrat Party go down.

If a complete wipe-out of the system has to go down to fix this, then sobeit.

Don't like it? Tough.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
They're just mad they didn't come up with it. They're also upset that it will help rich people while also helping the middle class. So what? This isn't a zero sum game, where one person has to lose for the other to win.

Trump has made clear he will be cutting government's size drastically, which will further serve to reduce our national debt - by simply spending less.

They're also angry because they believe government should be used to solve social problems, which is an incorrect belief in direct conflict with the founders. The founders, of course, believe that government exists only to protect the unalienable rights (like the BOR) of the people.

Glad to see the bureaucratic nightmare known as the tax code taking a beating by dear POTUS.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Please. Everything about that "tax cut bill" is designed to Raise taxes on middle class Americans and hit poor people in the gut, repeatedly.

The removal for some small business deductions alone will cost my family thousands. Screw the GOP. They are going to lose their jobs. This bill is condemned by the CBO, by the vast majority of economists, by the AARP, by the JTC, and the entire healthcare industry.

Go sell crazy somewhere else. This is a Massive CON JOB.

Done here. Can't believe people don't see it coming...the giant vacuum sucking middle class
Money up to the 1% and .01%, and making more poverty in America with a decimated safety net. That's what those who have want for the rest of us. Why? Either they don't understand it or they are too self-interested to care? I don't know.

[/quot

They know. Republicans don’t care. All that spiel for eight years about the deficit and debt, loading the kids with debt, lies, lies, lies.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So I guess all you conservatives in love with this bill are ok with is ballooning the debt by $1.7 trillion.

PS: I'm going to guess the response to this post: "BUT BUT BUT What about Obama?"

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Exactly. It's not the tax cuts the left fears, it's the freebies. Yes, some will get cut. Thought not the ones YOU pose as a scare tactic. Not Medicare. It will likely get expanded as the ACA flatlines.

You talk of donations to the GOP but it's the Democrat Party that is suffering from it's lowest donation levels from their 'Billionaires' in years.

Your greater good isn't mine nor 'ours'. We are not billionaires. We are those that have seen better times and more opportunity and care not one bit which or how much both parties are culpable.

Let the GOP go down. Let the Democrat Party go down.

If a complete wipe-out of the system has to go down to fix this, then sobeit.

Don't like it? Tough.

So...wipe out everything and burn the mother down? That's the solution?

Yeah, I don't like that and, yeah, it ain't just "tough" for me, it will be tough for everyone in the country that isn't sitting pretty in the 1% already.

As to Medicare cuts, I don't know where you are getting the "they won't cut it" idea - it is in the bill: the new tax bill could trigger $25 billion in automatic cuts to Medicare. Social Security and Medicare are both looking at being GOP options to "pay for their tax cuts" by "restructuring" (i.e. cutting funding) for Medicare and Social Security.

Medicaid is already getting hit...

Forbes: How the GOP Tax Plan Scrooges Middle Class, Retired & Poor

Every time I eye the GOP's tax plan, I'm reminded of Ebenezer Scrooge's wish to "decrease the surplus population" of the working class and poor.

Scrooge's sentiment is re-animated in myriad ways that punish retired, working folks and the poor in recent GOP attempts to reward the ultra-affluent and corporations in their version of "tax reform."

-- Retirement Benefits Will Likely Be Cut. Because the plan proposes to add at least $1.5 trillion to the national debt, fiscal conservatives say the imbalance needs to be offset by either cuts of "entitlement" programs like Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid or tax increases (see below).

-- The GOP Plan Would Really Raise Taxes for Middle Class Over Time. President Trump and his GOP allies have been crowing about how middle class families will receive a tax cut in their plan.

-- Those Who Can Least Afford It Will Pay the Most for These "Reforms." The math is most compelling because it's mostly subtraction for working people.

*sigh* Unless you are wealthy, this will hurt you. I don't know how else to say it. I don't want you or me to get hurt.

I don't want "the wealthy" to get "hurt" either, but frankly, they pay far far less than they did when the American economy was post-WWII strong and they payed, on the top portion of their income, 90% tax.

IT DOES NOT HELP THE MIDDLE CLASS.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Doing a lot of reading on this and also reading a lot of analysis on this and it appears to me to be a really bad plan with will negatively effect most Americans. I don't care about the rich getting tax breaks, but it's the large corporations that need to pay their fair share.

It just seems really bad. prop up the elites and our corporate overlords. make us little folk pay more taxes, take away our freedoms (net neutrality) Increase military spending and prop up the police state, give more land and money to big oil and coal, reduce our national parks and monuments.

I'm pretty sure Trump doesn't have any of our best interests at heart nor his minions, nor the top ( very wealthy ) republlicans. I feel the same way about most democrats too, but man. Really hard to defend these guys with legislation and policy like this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join