It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats in Congress Oppose Tax Cuts For Americans - That is Callous - But They Want Your Vote.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
November 29, 2017

RE: www.nytimes.com...

The Senate voted along party lines, 52 to 48, on Wednesday to formally take up legislation that would cut taxes by as much as $1.5 trillion over 10 years, remake the corporate tax code, and effect large changes to individual taxation. The routine procedural vote, so fraught during the health care debate, began an amendment process that should end in the bill’s passage by Friday.

How can Democrats in the House and Senate, in good conscience, look their voters in they eye after the tax-cuts/tax-reform bill is made "law of the land" by Republicans and President Trump, without any assistance from them?

Every one of them is voting against reducing the amount of money that Uncle Sam takes from their constituency. In other words, every Democrat in the U.S. House and Senate is against giving an estimated 70% of their voters a pay raise!

Yet, they will have THE NERVE to go back home and ask people in their districts to vote for them again next year. Hard to believe, isn't it?

-CareWeMust

edit on 11/29/2017 by carewemust because: minor adjustment

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I don't understand politicians on either side.

What is the point of elected office if not to help the people who elected you?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Right. Many Democrats say that 30% of the middle class will not see a reduction in taxes. That may be true. I'm one of them. But if 70% (or even 50%) of the people who voted for me get a TAX CUT, I'm a FOOL not to back that legislation!

I certainly hope the voters are not as dumb as Democrat lawmakers think they are!

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

As I understand it, the Democrats are against these tax cuts because rich people get permanent cuts while poor people get tax cuts for 10 years, I think. After that time period, poor people's taxes go up.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Why in the world are you concerned about Democrats and their "nerve"?

News Flash!

The Republicans can pass ANYTHING they want WITHOUT the Democrats. So let them. Taxes. Healthcare. Whatever. BUT PLEASE, stop blaming the Democrats for those things being done by the Republicans. The REPUBLICANS control the government. Maybe you've heard? Please, can you guys just own it for once. It's not that big a deal. You won. Enjoy!

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don't understand politicians on either side.

What is the point of elected office if not to help the people who elected you?

The point is retaining power for themselves. How do you think so many become multi millionairs on a relatively modest salary.

Hint: it's not by looking out for the average citizen.

A very small percentage actually get elected who honestly want to help their constituents. Why, because it takes millions to get elected in the first place and you don't get that money without agreeing to be a corrupt sellout.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Why in the world are you concerned about Democrats and their "nerve"?

News Flash!

The Republicans can pass ANYTHING they want WITHOUT the Democrats. So let them. Taxes. Healthcare. Whatever. BUT PLEASE, stop blaming the Democrats for those things being done by the Republicans. The REPUBLICANS control the government. Maybe you've heard? Please, can you guys just own it for once. It's not that big a deal. You won. Enjoy!

This is not true because several republicans - flake, corker are not seeking reelection so they have no need to vote with party, McCain - in his last term likely facing death before it is over also feels no need to be loyal.

But this is besides the point. Democrats owe their constituents the best outcome they can get. They could easily get some consessions in this tax bill if a few were willing to vote yes which they should be willing to do as lowering the corporate rate, lowering taxes on the middle class and getting money back from overseas are all things the bill will do and many Democrats in the past have said they support.

But in in today's world it seems far more important to play political games then actually even pretend to be helping your constituents. It's embarrassing that people like you don't even understand you are part of the problem by supporting this inaction.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Many voters in Democrat pockets don't quite know what all the tax laws are about.

All they "hear" is what rich people make and what poor people don't make.

The worst elementary and high school education systems are in Democrat pockets.

And most Democrat pockets don't have candidate choices that are not Democrat.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

As I understand it, the Democrats are against these tax cuts because rich people get permanent cuts while poor people get tax cuts for 10 years, I think. After that time period, poor people's taxes go up.

Corporations get permanent tax cuts. That's essential so they can make long-term expansion plans.

As for what happens with the individual tax-cuts, that's anybody's guess. Depends on who is in Congress and the White House when those tax-cuts expire. But 5 to 10 years of relief is better than 0.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

Opinion noted in your off-topic post. Have a good night.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

Are you saying that Democrat lawmakers are so afraid of, and intimidated by SCHUMER and PELOSI, that they've shifted their brains into low gear?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Many voters in Democrat pockets don't quite know what all the tax laws are about.

In other words, Democrats in those districts are permanently Dumbed-Down and Screwed.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

And despite what any politician says...Republican or Democrat pockets aside...none of them give a rat's ass about saving anyone money...except themselves.

This whole 2 party system needs to be razed...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

And despite what any politician says...Republican or Democrat pockets aside...none of them give a rat's ass about saving anyone money...except themselves.

And replaced with? Which country has a better system than ours?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

And replaced with? Which country has a better system than ours?

Who says we have to model it on another country?? Just change campaign contribution laws and the 3rd and 4th parties will come forth...as it is now, only the two big "I'm right, you're side sucks" parties have a chance to compete. And I don't know anyone that agrees 100% with either party's platform.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

You should start a thread on your idea. I'm sure you'd get lots of mileage out of it.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Corporations get permanent tax cuts. That's essential so they can make long-term expansion plans.

As for what happens with the individual tax-cuts, that's anybody's guess. Depends on who is in Congress and the White House when those tax-cuts expire. But 5 to 10 years of relief is better than 0.

Expansion plans?

What a strange claim, given that "major companies including Cisco Systems Inc., Pfizer Inc. and Coca-Cola Co. say they’ll turn over most gains from proposed corporate tax cuts to their shareholders"...

The rich get richer, the non-rich get nothing. It's the way of things, these days.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

Expansion plans?

What a strange claim, given that "major companies including Cisco Systems Inc., Pfizer Inc. and Coca-Cola Co. say they’ll turn over most gains from proposed corporate tax cuts to their shareholders"...

The rich get richer, the non-rich get nothing. It's the way of things, these days.

Thank-you for sharing that link. I started this www.abovetopsecret.com... thread due to those concerns. (And will add that URL to it shortly.)

It's sad that some of the largest corporations are choosing this route initially. But at least the Opportunity is within this package for enhancing the economy and the paychecks of workers. That OPPORTUNITY is worth making this change. (IMO)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

That's their rhetoric. The truth is cuts in Federal monies is what scares the left. That leaves the states obliged to pick up the slack. The freebies is the real issue. Not taxes.

I don't for a second believe 30% of the middle class will not receive tax cuts. I challenge anyone, using the proposed number to show how that would occur. It is an outright lie, from everything I can see.

Having said that, if I'm wrong, please show me and I will acknowledge the numbers.

(This isn't directed at you but to the diatribe crowd.)

Put up or shut up. Numbers please, not 'links'. There's already many vested interests that oppose this highlighted by accounting firms that see any simplification of the insane tax code as blasphemy....

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

Expansion plans?

I owen some of those companies in my modest reteriment account.... does that make me one of these shareholders?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join