It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inspired by origami, scientists build artificial muscle that lifts 1,000 times its own weight

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes

'Robots' are already shielded from EMP. Drones, attack aircraft and a host of ground vehicles are armored and shielded. Thats as robotic as it gets.

But if you mean they have to look like people they will still be as vulnerable to heat, blast and radiation in the open as we are.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

gotchya, didn't realize EMP was so ineffective already.. well I guess my concern now is simply that once we pump quant into these robots in an organic way then its cyborg time and we become a Darwinian # stain.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

An interesting piece of info here. People underestimate technological advancement. This is one that should be measured, with care.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
And even deeper tech to help run an origami brain...

The Quantum Internet of Things. Probably a year or two away.

I am trying to drop the link but it doesnt like me... The article title is
How long until we have the quantum internet of things?
on internetofthingsagenda.techtarget.com...

internetofthingsagenda.... techtarget.com/blog/IoT-Agenda/How-long-until-we-have-the-quantum-internet-of-things
edit on 29-11-2017 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Lightning is far worse to airframes than EMP from nuclear weapons. If civilian Aircraft are shielded that well...

The robots are here. Whats a GPS guided bomb if not a robot? How about a cruise missile, drone, ICBM? There may be operators in the loop still but thats been changing.

Nukes destroy everything with their heat blast and radiation, don't really need EMP. Besides, missiles in subs under water, underground or in caves, in ships holds are also protected by the earth and vessel's metal hulls.

Future robots are getting smaller, not more human like.

googled

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ADSE255

An interesting piece of info here. People underestimate technological advancement. This is one that should be measured, with care.

I agree.. This origami tissue advancement is really piecing the info i know already into a grim picture. It was my final piece of the dangers of AI puzzle

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Lightning is far worse to airframes than EMP from nuclear weapons. If civilian Aircraft are shielded that well...

The robots are here. Whats a GPS guided bomb if not a robot? How about a cruise missile, drone, ICBM? There may be operators in the loop still but thats been changing.

Nukes destroy everything with their heat blast and radiation, don't really need EMP. Besides, missiles in subs under water, underground or in caves, in ships holds are also protected by the earth and vessel's metal hulls.

Future robots are getting smaller, not more human like.

googled

OK, def didnt think of lightning. lol or nukes, and correct those guided weapons systems are AI.... Whats scary here is that we seem to be very close to making self replicating semi-organic creatures now, not simply self learning machines.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Whats scary here is that we seem to be very close to making self replicating semi-organic creatures now, not simply self learning machines.

I don't know about the future. The machines already behave like real life; they fly, hover, sting and hibernate, already.

They even got us replicating them.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Lol
"Cold soft origami hands"
Thanks for the chuckle

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Here's a short from Harvard, Vimeo was a bit draggy for me.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Okay now thats a story I can use in my film...

umm not since it was posted here. read the TnC regarding un copyrighted materials posted to ATS.
ANYway. if these things are going to be organic they are easier to destroy. no EMP needed. this will make replacement limbs and full prosthetic bods possible faster. im ready to upgrade to a better model.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes Funny you say that... I have a interview with the SBA in 8 months and if all goes well I will be starting my own business. They appointed someone to help me get my proposal ready. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Congrats! Once you figure out how to build your own clientele, you can always rely on the skill. I wish you the best of luck!

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   

which could make robots impervious to the only threat they would have, an EMP.

So you're implying the robots joints and processing "brain" would also be made of paper and impervious to EMP?
Rather strange.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

not exactly, earlier someone pointed out that modern robots can be shielded well from emp. but I was thinking if the Ai muscle tissue is the non metal origami and a brain could be made of some non metal origami folds, then you would have very little for an emp to destroy. sorry for not making sense lol

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Don't apologize...very interesting thread

top topics

<< 1   >>

join