It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inspired by origami, scientists build artificial muscle that lifts 1,000 times its own weight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

The researchers found that some origami muscles could squeeze down to a tenth of their original size, or lift up to a thousand times their own weight. They could produce roughly six times as much force per unit of area as mammalian muscle.

Inspired by origami, scientists build artificial muscle that lifts 1,000 times its own weight

AI did not really bug me too much but NOW the robots can actually have super human abilities. Probably not hard to make an organic muscle this way too, which could make robots impervious to the only threat they would have, an EMP.

vimeo.com...
edit on 29-11-2017 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes Umm..... Though this is nifty it is also f#ing creepy. Cool find though

:edit: I will give thread a flag but NO star for the simple fact that now I will probably have a dream about this.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

That's exactly how I am feeling about this.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes Ok I caved in
you got a star based on the simple fact that you brought our attention that I robot is about to happen. The science behind this is really cool but I would rather them put those efforts toward space exploration and curing diseases.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: tonycodes Ok I caved in
you got a star based on the simple fact that you brought our attention that I robot is about to happen. The science behind this is really cool but I would rather them put those efforts toward space exploration and curing diseases.

Thank you, Its funny you bring up diseases bc this "tech" can give rise to nano bots for that purpose (as explained in the article) BUT what a double edged sword! DO we really want to invent an AI that is small enough to jump into organic living beings and have that kind of access? I guess plants can only cure so much..

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes

I can't wait for the cold feeling of the damp ground as I lay finally out of breath. Only to look up into the dead eyes of the AI assassin that slowly puts it cold "soft" origami hands around my neck.

S+F

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes Hmm good point. I will bring this to the board at work on Monday. Would be a good topic to discuss instead of the boring here are my predictions of how we market selling pills to people that don't need them. God I hate my job. Every time I am at that stupid meeting I just want to punch these people and say why don't we actually help people instead of running a scheme to dumb them down. But then I think of mortgage payments. Then I just sit there and only put forth my input on employee benefits. Sometimes I think they all hate me being there but it is a must, in which I get satisfied in knowing that I am a must have lol.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: tonycodes Hmm good point. I will bring this to the board at work on Monday. Would be a good topic to discuss instead of the boring here are my predictions of how we market selling pills to people that don't need them. God I hate my job. Every time I am at that stupid meeting I just want to punch these people and say why don't we actually help people instead of running a scheme to dumb them down. But then I think of mortgage payments. Then I just sit there and only put forth my input on employee benefits. Sometimes I think they all hate me being there but it is a must, in which I get satisfied in knowing that I am a must have lol.

Gosh..the flash-backs you caused! I'd rather be dead than go back to that world. (Sorry for the derail, O.P.)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
And here we go down the rabbit hole. A brains structure and growth is very similar to origami. I can pretty much tell you what they are already working on for our new AI friends... great. Def impervious to EMP with an organic brain instead of a computer based one.

cbhd.org...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I need one of those to give to the daughter to lift their cat. It seems to be lead lined or something, she has had it on a diet for three months now since we told her she needs to take it back, it has been here for years. All that dieting and special foods and it hasn't lost any weight. It likes water, it sleeps near the water bowl so it doesn't have to get up for a drink.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well.. I guess they not heard ?
Hydraulics have already been invented in 1796 by Joseph Bramah.

But sure go ahead and draw a face on it and call it a new kind of robot

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not quite cybernetic, pretty damn neato invention actually. I want one!

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
And looks like AI Eyes aren't going to be too expensive either, $249 bucks...

Amazon unveils DeepLens, a $249 camera for deep learning

www.theverge.com... amera-developer-enterprise-tools

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Okay now thats a story I can use in my film...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Okay now thats a story I can use in my film...

Awesome! Keep me posted if you run with it!

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
machines have had super human abilities since day 1, obviously you can't run 200 miles an hour or fly...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Next Up.... Mixing this all with Quantum Biology. We are making Quant computers so once we fully move into Quant Biology, we will get access to control organic senses like smelling, which leads to nostalgia and a slew of other human traits of consciousness.

www.youtube.com...

And lets not forget how close we are to wrapping our hands around the science of quantum entanglement.

phys.org...

I hope I am keeping this all realistic, bc to me it does not seem like it will take long to harness this "tech" and let it run loose in an inanimate object.
Personally I felt that organic muscles would be the hardest feat to achieve and well, looks like we just got there with origami.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Just watch for when I start posting The Darkest Patterns. This would be "film" has turned into a whole 'tv series' covering the entire chronological saga of mankind in foretelling what to expect with whats coming if WE dont change our primal ways in advance of the Brave New World.

To understand the future, you have to understand the present. You cant understand the present, unless you understand the past + human nature.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What a coincidence, I literally just started to put down my bullet points for a similar 2 or 3 part novel. I look forward to seeing your work and ill send you my past, present, future, stories bullet points when I get finished some time next week.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I was in finance for some time and its the same racket, which is why I parted ways and went on my own. It hasn't been easy but I can sleep at night now.

<<   2 >>

join