It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Su-57 project effectively toast?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: RadioRobert

the high fiving and whatnot in the video, Robert. Not the actual test.

I have seen people who hate eachother hug after successful tests in certain projects. I have seen grown men cry at success and failures.

I remember one particularly stressful survivability test on a range somewhere deserted where the panels successfully stopped the FSP's and spall, and when we finally got our hands on it and saw it protected the structure and did it's job and still looked sound, people literally started laughing at the stress release. It was infectious laughter. Some laughed so hard they cried. Couldn't stop. Nothing at all funny. Just almost everyone losing it, and a few people looking around wondering what in the world they'd missed.

Stress and success do weird things to people.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Normally totally agree. That looked totally staged though. YMMV.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

You mean they hammed it up for the cameras?! O.M.G!

(I should see if I can find any of the old cheesy videos everyone was forced to make. Maybe on YouTube. You never live it down if you get tagged to be in one. Worst acting ever if they make actual engineers do it. "Gee, Jim. Why does the XYZ project use CBA technology?" "I'll tell you, Dave. CBA technology is the next great step in *application* technology")

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The commissar says to smile or go to gulag.

I'm starting to think China gets their engines done first. If
Their bird is ready for make first it could really crush Russian sales aspirations.
edit on 10-11-2018 by Caughtlurking because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

Uh oh, the commissar's in town...uh oh.

The Chinese have said they are not going to sell the J-20 so long as the US does not sell its top fighter (currently the F-22).

And, tbh, unless the Russians hit the accelerators, the Koreans and probably Turks will have marketable aircraft as well. And both would LOVE to be able to sell them so they can mitigate the costs.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
One of the countries needs to get all their engine tech up to scratch..

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Different view than we've had. Note: engine on the right has been pulled from its mount.

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

SU-57 in Syria.

Fluffy, apparently, the SU-57s conducted 10 sorties.

www.ruaviation.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Some details folks here might be able to interpret.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for the new engines with 360° vectoring. Maybe the price of oil helps them a bit.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

The problem is the price of oil has dropped 30% in the last 6 weeks from about $76 to $53. Circ, Russia needs it to be $65 or higher.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

The problem is the price of oil has dropped 30% in the last 6 weeks from about $76 to $53. Circ, Russia needs it to be $65 or higher.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You're pricing WTI which affects mostly the US market. Russia is dealing Urals which trends much more closely linked to the OPEC basket price ($62). Urals was trading around $70 until the last few weeks. It's still over $60. It was over $80 for a bit when crude in general spiked last month.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I was using Brent, which is the general index.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Brent is also an international benchmark tied to the OPEC, so will be closer to the trade price of Urals (which Russia trades). Right now Brent is trading a few dollars lower than Urals at ~$60 right now and was over $70 a week or so ago, not $53 (which was the WTI price a few days ago. None of the other benchmarks have dropped so low).

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join