It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking About Getting Bitcoin...Advice Please?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

This just in.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Ameilia

www.amazon.com...

Offline key storage, or cold storage. Some alt currencies aren't supported however.

If I bought that, does it come with a Help section that explains how to use it?

I'm leery because when Dogecoin came out (which is basically nothing now, anyway) someone gave me like 20,000 Dogecoins. I had them in one of those offline wallets that is in your computer. After not touching it for like 3 years, I decided to give my coins to my brother. I help him with retirement, he was going to help me with crypto.

Well, the coins are gone! Luckily they aren't worth much, imagine the sick feeling if I'd lost a coin that was really worth something!! I synced up the wallet which took like 6 days. No coins appeared. I read online about getting the new Doge client, and putting my wallet.dat into it and that would make the coins appear. Except it doesn't.

I don't think I was hacked, I think my own ignorance and lack of understanding about these things is what lost the coins. Worse, there appear to be no recovery websites that help you recover the coins. I'd be willing to pay out a percent as a service fee if there were people who helped idiot users like myself, but there doesn't seem to be any service like that.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: angeldoll

This just in.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Zooming!.... on my way. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
yea now is a good time to keep an eye on the price.

Heads up though. It might take you two weeks to open a coinbase or gemini account.

My advice is to download coinbase and get it connected to your bank account. Then when you want to buy you can wire the money directly and buy when the price is right.

Otherwise your going to wait 2 weeks till you can get your money in.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Im not familiar with dogecoins, but for crypto in general what you had was not an offline wallet but the exact opposite; a hot wallet. I'm not claiming you've been hacked, but it looks like you've been hacked. And I got the haircut to prove it.

If you're not looking to be active and just invest and leave them alone, the best solution for you would be 'ye old' pencil and paper. How bout that
edit on 30-11-2017 by Jubei42 because: loathe the your you're folks... and now I'm one of em

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Well, there are tons of tutorial vids out there.

When you loaded up your wallet, did you wait for it to sync? Over time, as blocks get added to the block chain, that ledger needs to be distributed. Over time, especially in the instance where the wallet is not connected to the net, many blocks will be added and thus your wallet will need to be synced with the current chain.

So, you can try loading the wallet back up and look for indications that it is sycing with the chain, or just give it time to do so. After that, your coins should be displayed provided there has been no theft etc.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
I wonder if this news will drop the price:

IRS Nabs Big Win Over Coinbase In Bid For Bitcoin Customer Data

www.forbes.com...

last time i checked it was down to 9600 and was at 10,700 last night

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Water glass half full/empty scenario.

cointelegraph.com...

Everyone knows the IRS is coming. Coinbase is doing everything within their power, in my estimation, to keep their searchings legitimate and their customers private. As feasibly possible anyway.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Ironically, I'm currently watching a movie about the 17th. century Dutch tulip market bubble.

I did a search using 'Tulips and Bitcoins'...and got at least a dozen pages comparing/contrasting the two.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The comparisons certainly highlight the 'mania' aspect very well. Are we there yet?

The tech bubble in the early 2000's got into the trillions before it burst. money.cnn.com...

7 trillion in the housing bubble.

Crypto in its entirety is around 300b at the moment.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Well, there are tons of tutorial vids out there.

When you loaded up your wallet, did you wait for it to sync? Over time, as blocks get added to the block chain, that ledger needs to be distributed. Over time, especially in the instance where the wallet is not connected to the net, many blocks will be added and thus your wallet will need to be synced with the current chain.

So, you can try loading the wallet back up and look for indications that it is sycing with the chain, or just give it time to do so. After that, your coins should be displayed provided there has been no theft etc.

I'm pretty sure I let the old .exe sync last year. It's still sitting on my computer, so I guess I will let it sync one more time. Then I'm deleting it. I did do research and watched several videos, probably spending more time than the coins are worth.

Will let everyone know.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42

Im not familiar with dogecoins, but for crypto in general what you had was not an offline wallet but the exact opposite; a hot wallet. I'm not claiming you've been hacked, but it looks like you've been hacked. And I got the haircut to prove it.

If you're not looking to be active and just invest and leave them alone, the best solution for you would be 'ye old' pencil and paper. How bout that

Well if I did it was my own damn fault and no one elses. Didn't even know what a 'hot wallet' was until I read this. I hate being bad at things.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It is way too risky and dangerous now, up to your "feeling" & your own risk.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Up to $12,250!!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Wow it just hit 14,000. Anyone want to loan me some money so I can buy some more?

I saw a video with a guy saying he expects it to go to a million $ a coin. I have 1.6% of 1 coin lol. Bought at 9600

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

There is something to genuinely be weary about now.

Futures market for BTC starts next week. There stands to reason that there are folks pumping the price for the profits AND the shorts.

In essence, folks could pump the coin, buy the shorts, claim the profits (crashing the price), claiming the shorts and then starting all over again.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Definitely not true. The company is CME. They trade on the results of Bitcoin price as a reference from only 4-5 p.m. each day. That's it....

www.cmegroup.com...

Read the facts yourself.

P.S. I'm not saying this will or will not impact Bitcoin pricing overall, but I do not believe this will have the negative impact boomers are saying. Contrary, I believe we'll see 16,000 before Christmas, then a decline back to 12,500. Settling at 38,000 by next christmas. Or, it could be worth 2.00.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ArcAngel

Definitely not true.

But it is. Among CME, also CBOE. Also TDAmeritrade and Ally FInanical.
www.investors.com...

Japan is even wanting in on the action.
www.coindesk.com...

I don't know either what impact it will have. However I won't deny the reality of manipulation in an unregulated market.

ETA: Just in the time it took to dig up those sources, BTC went from 14.5k to 13.5k. This market is crazy!

edit on 6-12-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

ok so I clicked the link in your signature, signed up at coin pot , and then used all your links to sign up at the faucet sites, hopefully you will get any referral bonus .

I have a ton of a questions because I am such an amature.

Can I trasnfer anything I get from coinpot and the faucet sites to my coinbase account?

few of those links do not update riht to coinpot so how do I get my BC or any crypto all in one wallet?

I really dont know anything but I want in on the fun. Im up like 80 bucks in 3 days on my BC and I only put in a couple hundred.

I need a BC for retarded people book.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Sometimes they'll have minimum withdrawal limits or even scheduled dates for withdrawals. I'm not familiar with coinpot, but given the reasoning (saving on fees, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Bitcoin.org is an extremely valuable resource!

Also, note that some wallets use full node authentication. While it maintains things, its also ~150gb.

Many suggest NOT storing your money in exchanges, so something like a Ledger Nano S is a good option for storing multiple currencies. Just make sure to check its authentic, there are guides to do that on ledger's site as well as Google.
edit on 7-12-2017 by Serdgiam because: Nano, autocorrect, nano!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join