It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'White Racism' course at Florida university teaches that America is 'white supremacist society'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

To put any group based on appearance together and assign a universal truth is a racist statement and idea.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

So?

Because you have a majority of people and the culture is shaped mainly be them does not necessarily make it racist. It used to be the accepted practice to adopt the dominant culture when you moved to a new country. It still is in many places. It seems to be only in majority white nations where this has suddenly become an evil/racist thing.

Go to China and tell them they have Asian privilege and need to stop being so Asian supremacist. Go ahead. See what happens.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk

originally posted by: olaru12
All I know is...That growing up in Texas, I as a white person, I enjoyed privileges that brown and black people didn't have.

With 70% of Texas being white Americans I can see how you would feel that way.....or it could just be that Texas has a large white population and it appears that whites get a lot of privileges because there are a lot of white people.

Being white doesn't mean you immediately accept guilt for anything.....no matter how much others want to put that guilt harness on you.

en.wikipedia.org...

White guilt, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

What made you think I feel guilty about being a white man? I didn't have a choice in the matter.

But I'm a realist and can see the privileges I enjoyed that black and brown people didn't.

edit on 28-11-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

To put any group based on appearance together and assign a universal truth is a racist statement and idea.

The idea put forth assigns a universal truth to a system (whether that system is a fact or a wrongful perception), not a race.
So no, it isn’t racist.

& to call it “racist” is just an easy way to shame people into shutting up and not putting forth their notion based upon experiences.
It’s the same as the accusation of “white guilt”, which again, is used to ridicule white people, who admit to having benefitted from privileges over the course of their life, into silence.

Both are ludicrous and ignorant.

White privilege is not a white mans plan put into place by the consensus of 100% of white people nationwide on some racist powertrip, it is much more a system born of the tribalism aspect of the brain which manifests in society.

& the idea that this is all part of some elaborate plan to persecute white people is nothing more than a defense mechanism popularised by certain people with very clever but specious arguments who fear the idea of equality, because whether you like it or not, there is a lot of people who do not believe we are all equal.

When a minority speaks up, the fear of “the other” overcomes these people and they go into full denial mode, even to go so far as to nefariously coin the term “black privilege”.
If things like that don’t give you pause, I don’t know what will.

& if the experiences of people of all races highlighting this phenomenon don’t cause you to consider the possibility, and you’d rather believe it’s all a lie or a pathway to persecute white people, rather than just an honest assessment of the issue... then you may as well have your head buried firmly in the sand.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Because you have a majority of people and the culture is shaped mainly be them does not necessarily make it racist.

That’s not even relevant to the point I made.

Go to China and tell them they have Asian privilege and need to stop being so Asian supremacist.

Benefiting from a privilege due to your race does not make you a racist/supremacist.
No one has even suggested you asked for or demanded privilege.
The idea is that it is an unfortunate by product of a system that enables it.

What you said is nothing but a strawman argument.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

BS

White privilege is being used to assume that the (white) individual is some how automatically granted certain benefits based on their color.

And of course, if anyone disagrees with the white privilege they have their head buried in the sand.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

"Racialized as white"?!? WTF is that even supposed to mean?? Ths guy is supposed to teach? He's not qualified to teach a kitten how to use the litter box.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Dr. Ted Thornhill professor of sociology is helping college students find the "truth". He will ensure that students know about white racism and racial inequality.

Dr. Ted Thornhill, a Florida Gulf Coast University sociology professor, told Fox News in a statement his class this spring is “about the search for truth” and any controversy around the title or description proves its “urgency.”

“Too many Americans, especially whites, are cocooned in a ‘bubble of unreality’ as it concerns racial matters,” Thornhill said.

Students will read “important scholarship” to “gain a deeper and more sophisticated understanding of race, white racism, racial inequality, and white supremacy,” in addition to challenging “widely and adamantly held, but empirically unsubstantiated myths about racial matters in the U.S.,” Thornhill said.
www.foxnews.com...

And the statement that, in my opinion, seals this wing nut college professor's fate is "all white people". When ever you take any group of people of the same race and make a wide stroke assertion that they all universally share, it is racism.
And some of the light-hearted discussions of the class is slavery, genocide, internment, rape......

“Clearly, not all white people are racists; some are even anti-racist,” Thornhill said, though he added all white people “derive, in some measure, material and psychological benefits by virtue of being racialized as white.”

Thornhill told Hello SWFL the class would discuss slavery, genocide, internment, segregation, discrimination, rape, violence, and theft against non-Europeans throughout U.S. history.

Luckily professor Thornhill is helping people get over racism----right?

Thornhill says the new course wasn’t developed in response to racially charged messages found around campus last fall, but instead to give students a broad idea of the history of racism, white supremacy and how to challenge racism in today’s society, according to FOX4.

The thing is, this viewpoint is basically standard identity politics fare now days. Especially the part about how not all white people may act racist or think racist, but derive an assortment of unearned privilege from a subtly racist superstructure.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
God I hate white people.

Glad I'm not racist like them.

#Staywoke

www.staywoke.org...

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

All I know is...That growing up in Texas, I as a white person, I enjoyed privileges that brown and black people didn't have.

Well, I spent my youth in Texas, and the opposite was true. Programs even in the schools, for Hispanic students only, and whites weren't welcome. I enjoyed literally NOTHING based on y race.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: seasonal

I wonder how much he makes to teach everyone about his oppression?

"If you white, you ain't right!". So says the idiots bitching the most about racism while being Racist!

The beginning of my disenchantment with mainstream liberalism, especially identity politics now days, was when I began to see too many double standards. I still lean left, but I can't handle the discourse anymore in social justice, which is unfortunate because there are some foundational OG social justice ideas that have merit, the basics.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Agreed.

What are these privileges that no other race can enjoy?

What are the punishments (if any) for a non white some how getting these privileges?

Can a white person sell these privileges?

Can a non white buy into the privilege game?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Except the only idea of privilege to be found is that I enjoy a mythical privilege because most of the people around me are also white.

If that's the case, then my comparison is no strawman because that would be the condition enjoyed by someone who is ethnic Chinese in China where the majority of people surrounding them are also ethnically Chinese.

Yours is basically a tribal analysis.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Racism does Not exist.

It is a construct of 20th Century mentality to try to demean people born in a certain demographic, all in the name of "Equality".

What we have is Tribalism......It has existed since the dawn of Homos.

Natural mistrust of anyone or anything, Not of Your tribe...or peoples.

The Biggest Tribalism "Race" are the African Peoples.

They hate Anyone, not of their tribe. particularly other "Black" people.

Oriental Asians are next, China still maintains privilege if you are a "Han" Chinese as opposed to Non Han.

Even tribalism of Europe, The English fought the Germans in 2 WWs, but Genetically, they are the same people....same tribe.

Perhaps if man stops this Fantasy of Racism and all its associated meanings.....and accepted that, Yes, We are tribal and for "Our" kind.....then maybe we can embrace the differences, instead of try to make one big happy family, that doesnt exist.

Even Animals of the same species are tribal and protect their Gene pool and territorial areas.

edit on 28-11-2017 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Wouldn't this disprove your theory?

Even tribalism of Europe, The English fought the Germans in 2 WWs, but Genetically, they are the same people....same tribe.
a reply to: gort51

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So?

Because you have a majority of people and the culture is shaped mainly be them does not necessarily make it racist. It used to be the accepted practice to adopt the dominant culture when you moved to a new country. It still is in many places. It seems to be only in majority white nations where this has suddenly become an evil/racist thing.

Go to China and tell them they have Asian privilege and need to stop being so Asian supremacist. Go ahead. See what happens.

They won't listen.

"Go home Gwailo" is all I get.

I was joking with some Indian friends at a church outing a few weeks ago and I brought some hot sauce a friend picked up for me in Japan. Blair's After Death Sauce. Hot #! 150,000 on the scoville scale.

Anyway, I said, "YOU GUYS, like hot stuff, right?" lol.

Then they went off on indian jokes. Too funny.

But yes, only white people can be racist, must be because we are a minority in the world. How's that for irony?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk

With 70% of Texas being white Americans I can see how you would feel that way.....or it could just be that Texas has a large white population and it appears that whites get a lot of privileges because there are a lot of white people.

Being white doesn't mean you immediately accept guilt for anything.....no matter how much others want to put that guilt harness on you.

en.wikipedia.org...

White guilt, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

What made you think I feel guilty about being a white man? I didn't have a choice in the matter.

But I'm a realist and can see the privileges I enjoyed that black and brown people didn't.

Like wearing sheets and lighting tiki torches?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Agreed.

What are these privileges that no other race can enjoy?

What are the punishments (if any) for a non white some how getting these privileges?

Can a white person sell these privileges?

Can a non white buy into the privilege game?

I think that the idea had merit when there were laws explicitly de-privileging other groups, such as African Americans. So in that sense relatively yes white people would enjoy more rights, from housing to access to power, etc.

The social justice types say that the intergenerational cycles of poverty and lowered capital accumulation, education achievement, etc, still are vestiges of that. I.e. intersectionality. While there may be some truth to this, I think it's far too simplistic.

The narrative of identity politics requires for "privilege" or the lack thereof to be seen as monolithic categories by race, rather than overlapping bell curves. The reality is that while it may be true that your average black guy has less privilege than your average white guy, there are very privileged black people, and very underprivileged white people at different points on their respective bell curves. This perspective is more fair, but it's not admissible in identity politics because then affirmative action would have to be based on purely poverty and evidential underprivilege, for a person of any race. It also would not allow the so-called "progressive stack," which mystically allots credibility and wokeness based on how many oppressed identities one can claim.

Any disagreement, of course, is heretical and a symptom of privilege, ignorance, or racism (gasp).

Original sin? Whiteness. But there is no salvation from it because no matter how much a white person studies the topic, works on related issues, or performs feats of allyship, they can never be truly woke AF and are always secretly racist in some way or another.

In short, it's becoming its own mystical, dogmatic religion.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Oh here we go, same old crap. Why can't some white people just hate themselves? Why do they always have to attach it to some huge problem in society. Explain to a poor white person how they benefit from affirmative action

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMZA
Oh here we go, same old crap. Why can't some white people just hate themselves? Why do they always have to attach it to some huge problem in society. Explain to a poor white person how they benefit from affirmative action

'The plan' imho, from an elite group of world leaders which some of whom we know not:

Divide and conquer the prosperous....... It knows of no society it will not try to control, this entity that wants to rule us all. We are seeing the symptoms of their discourse and are not going for the source. Perhaps because we do not know all the players in the cabal. What is bad and good maybe how Trump is making them so mad, he is showing us who is cray cray and then all we do is see who their friends are like the Weinstein' brothers. With him, they are showing their true colors. Hate alone cannot describe what I see from those moving forward with 'the plan'. They are using money and influence and for their power and they are corrupt to the core. Divide American blacks from whites and hispanics. Then pick of the pieces of your empire from the divided.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join