It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Physics Professor claims to have uncovered ETI signals from 234 stars.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Strange how people on this thread tend to want to think about ETIs out there perhaps widespread, but never seriously consider a single UFO report as having a shred truth.

There is no finer example of cognitive dissidence than this continuing feat of mind magic that commoner and scientist alike share. If the human spirit is that weak with mere threats to its sanctity, then heaven help us once we fully face the true situation.

Earth's history of vanquished species, races and cultures is indicative. The direction is clearly a downward spiral of the basic human spirit regardless of whether the onslaught of new everything was by violence or a man with a book.

The ETIs know the situation and quietly work to lessen the reality. This why governments have taken strange stances in basic human activities. Why earth's societies and cultures are being revamped in those modern countries into a new form that will better survive the sudden shock of the inevitable transition. Regardless of how the ETIs will work with us, we will forever remain alone with ourselves, self-disenfranchised you could say.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
This is what happens when you allow Canadian scientists to guzzle a 12-pack of Moosehead beer before going to work in the morning.

Hey! Who's to say 'ole ET isn't doing the same thing?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   
If they are detecting these signals and it is intelligent life then wouldn't there be other signals that can be detected. Its not like they went from cavemen to laser producing society. what about radio wave, nuclear signatures. There are steps that are taken to build up to the point of using lasers.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r

were likely caused by errors in calibration or data analysis

, but claim they have eliminated the possibility of various factors such as instrument and computational error, and potentially natural sources.

and this:

He points to several steps in the team’s data analysis that “scared him” because they didn’t consider how those steps might affect their results

this is what I hate about these things. He says.."might"...but he does not know if it truly did influence anything. Nor did he try to verifyBut alas...in this day of age...it's enough.

At the end of the day, the signal probably comes down to a human error, he says.

probably...therefore...we wont even bother.

Let's hope others try to validate the observations.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
I think it highly unlikely that 200+ civs would all shoot lazers at one of their suns to gain attention. I also think it highly unlikely that 200+ civs would all be using laser type technology at the same point in time. But I could and hope I am wrong.

Simple question but why? Why is it so hard to believe that there are others out there who want to make contact? Plus you have to keep in mind that those 234 stars are mixed amidst 2.5 million other stars, a pretty small amount when you think of it like that. Also do we know how close together they are? For all we know there could be hundreds (maybe thousands) of light years between each (thus hundreds or even thousands of years between when each signal originated from it's parent star) and its only coincidence that all the signals are reaching earth at approximately the same time. Add to that we have no idea how long each of these "messages" have been broadcasting for, if you assume that it's a constant signal it's then possible that they may have been broadcasting for thousands of years and it's only now that we are able to detect them.

At any rate this is moot since it's unlikely that we will find out if they were real signals anytime soon. Governments don't like sharing information with the allies let alone the people they serve. Likely if it is a real signal it will be ignored and ridiculed then likely buried until such a time as "THEY" feel we are ready to know the truth, or at least until they have no more choice, you know like an alien ship showing up in the middle of time square or some other prominent place.
edit on 29-11-2017 by looneylupinsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
I would think determining if the phenomenon could be decoded into a purposeful communication would be the key and true test that the light emissions were from intelligent life?

Honest question here, but how would you do that? Their entire language is an unknown, you have no idea what their language is like, it might not even be words as we know them. It's entirely possible that they might make sounds that we just can't reproduce (yet). It could be anything including pictures, thoughts, feelings or even some combination of all the above that they use to communicate, and it could be as foreign to us as... well.... a foreign language would be. I mean it's not like you can just run up to a local and ask for help translating it. To my limited understanding, you have to have some idea of how the language works to be able to decode it, either by knowing the root language or by having a local who can and is willing to teach you. Am I wrong?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Wouldn’t the earth have to be directly in the line of sight to even detect a laser transmission. Yet the research could detect what should be line of sight communications between 200 plus civilizations? That seems to dispel the phenomenon is laser in nature?

I could be wrong here (meh who am I kidding I likely am) but I think they meant that the civ's were hitting their star with the laser pulses to cause a reaction in the star which would not be line of sight but radial in nature sort of like tossing a stone in a pond... just bigger and MUCH hotter. You know this got me to thinking I wonder if these signals are a by product of attempts to mine stars and not meant as direct communication.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It is how the SSE communicates and is waiting for the complete take over of Earth to initiate the signal back...

Think about it for a minute high speed communication with Servers and networks on Earth already use fiber and lasers, why would it be so much of stretch to think that a persistent Networked Alien being communicates the same way across each planet it invades?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
This is what happens when you allow Canadian scientists to guzzle a 12-pack of Moosehead beer before going to work in the morning.

That Not a Bad thing! :
LOL!

Many Discoveries were from under the influence !

from Science too Music!

Well Since the 1960s anyhow..

but More Likely

DNA !! Francis Crick,
for example ..

But Hey , The signaling is Out there ,
just in different form that We Humans dont Use
Here on Eath,

I would say this Discovery would go along with the
Mega Structured Star : KIC 8462852'
the Uneven interruption of Light

well time too Read On .. about this Dsicovery

from Quebec eh!!

Not too far from Me..

Nice...

The Professor needs to get a hold of

Paul Hellyer - Minister of National Defense

I know he is 94 years old ,

still has sharp Mind and can Speak well..

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: looneylupinsrevenge

I think it highly unlikely that 200+ civs would all shoot lazers at one of their suns to gain attention. I also think it highly unlikely that 200+ civs would all be using laser type technology at the same point in time. But I could and hope I am wrong.

Simple question but why? Why is it so hard to believe that there are others out there who want to make contact? Plus you have to keep in mind that those 234 stars are mixed amidst 2.5 million other stars, a pretty small amount when you think of it like that. Also do we know how close together they are? For all we know there could be hundreds (maybe thousands) of light years between each (thus hundreds or even thousands of years between when each signal originated from it's parent star) and its only coincidence that all the signals are reaching earth at approximately the same time. Add to that we have no idea how long each of these "messages" have been broadcasting for, if you assume that it's a constant signal it's then possible that they may have been broadcasting for thousands of years and it's only now that we are able to detect them.

At any rate this is moot since it's unlikely that we will find out if they were real signals anytime soon. Governments don't like sharing information with the allies let alone the people they serve. Likely if it is a real signal it will be ignored and ridiculed then likely buried until such a time as "THEY" feel we are ready to know the truth, or at least until they have no more choice, you know like an alien ship showing up in the middle of time square or some other prominent place.
I didn't say there wasn't and I am sure that we are not alone!

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Our Leaders Are SCARED As Hell! But WHY? UFO Disclosure 2017
www.youtube.com...

edit on 32017WednesdayfAmerica/Chicago11332 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I didn't say there wasn't and I am sure that we are not alone!

True but you did say

I think it highly unlikely that 200+ civs would all shoot lazers at one of their suns to gain attention. I also think it highly unlikely that 200+ civs would all be using laser type technology at the same point in time
Now to me, it sounds like you believe but have a hard time getting your head around that many places all doing the same thing at the same time (from our perspective anyway). Which is why I went on to explain why it could be possible, maybe not probable but at the very least possible. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were meaning.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Wouldn’t the earth have to be directly in the line of sight to even detect a laser transmission. Yet the research could detect what should be line of sight communications between 200 plus civilizations? That seems to dispel the phenomenon is laser in nature?

I could be wrong here (meh who am I kidding I likely am) but I think they meant that the civ's were hitting their star with the laser pulses to cause a reaction in the star which would not be line of sight but radial in nature sort of like tossing a stone in a pond... just bigger and MUCH hotter. You know this got me to thinking I wonder if these signals are a by product of attempts to mine stars and not meant as direct communication.

Aside from the press-release, most things we say in thread are supposition. Seems we all like to do that.
Good to see you are thinking outside of the box.

As we see in the other posts: some just focus on the negative, and try to justify why it's not possible.
Others try to imagine how it might be possible.
Neither knows.

Shall we surmise-on?
A galaxy-wide, or universe-wide recurring signal, could really be previously unknown natural phenomena.
Or: could it be an intelligence-driven phenomena? What could it be?

The idea that came to me was: it might be a universal carrier signal.
Perhaps advanced civs generate the base carrier signal, then bounce it off off their sun, in some way so that it becomes multi-directional.
Other civs have agreed to this convention, so this is the carrier-base, to which they all sync-in.
Then: information; data; or other communications could be embedded within, or ride-upon the carrier signal.

If this were so: we might not be able to understand anything of the signals, but if we attempt to sync-in the the base-frequency, perhaps we would be noticed, and someone would try to communicate with us.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: data5091

i dont have much to add to this topic, i just wanted to monitor this thread and see where it goes.

i remember in high school we all had the SETI at home screensaver.....or at least i had it.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage
It is how the SSE communicates and is waiting for the complete take over of Earth to initiate the signal back...

Think about it for a minute high speed communication with Servers and networks on Earth already use fiber and lasers, why would it be so much of stretch to think that a persistent Networked Alien being communicates the same way across each planet it invades?

In the context of economy, rise of quantum computing, and the rise of quantum commutation; the only possible way for those civilizations to communicate is to make some ridiculously powerful laser that causes enough interaction with a star to turn it into a beacon? That is the most efficient means for communication?

Why not use a laser about 100 times less in magnitude and resources to hit stationary space relay stations.

How is a laser causing reactions on a star driven by gravity and nuclear forces?

Common sense does apply....,,
edit on 30-11-2017 by neutronflux because: Fixed

top topics

<< 1   >>

join