It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Physics Professor claims to have uncovered ETI signals from 234 stars.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The Professor says he has uncovered evidence of communication from 234 et civilizations in the form of signals that are encoded in the emanations of stars much like our own sun.

In analyzing the composition of the light spectra of 2.5 million stars from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, optical physics professor Ermanno Borra, of Université Laval in Quebec, found patterns in the form of 1.65 picoseconds pulses (just a little more than a trillionth of a second) that existed in the light of 234 Sun-like stars. Borra posits that only extremely powerful lasers can produce such a rapid pattern, meaning that the signals must be artificial in origin. Read the original source: www.unknowncountry.com...

"We find that the detected signals have exactly the shape of an ETI signal predicted in the previous publication and are therefore in agreement with this hypothesis," Borra explains in his team's paper, submitted to the Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific. "The fact that they are only found in a very small fraction of stars within a narrow spectral range centered near the spectral type of the Sun is also in agreement with the ETI hypothesis." Read the original source: www.unknowncountry.com...

Borra and his team admit these findings need to be verified by independent parties, but claim they have eliminated the possibility of various factors such as instrument and computational error, and potentially natural sources.

The Stephen Hawking founded Breakthrough Listen Project issued a statement that the

"one in 10,000 objects with unusual spectra seen by Borra and Trottier are certainly worthy of additional study. However, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It is too early to unequivocally attribute these purported signals to the activities of extraterrestrial civilizations." Read the original source: www.unknowncountry.com...

We have to follow a scientific approach, not an emotional one," says Borra. But he admits that "intuitively -- my emotion speaks now -- I strongly suspect that it’s an ETI signal." Read the original source: www.unknowncountry.com...

source link

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: data5091
The Professor says he has uncovered evidence of communication from 234 et civilizations in the form of signals that are encoded in the emanations of stars much like our own sun.

I remember this having being posted here before and it's indeed an interesting observation. I of course hope it's ETI signals, but the source article mentioned in your source also states the opinion of other scientists:

New Scientist Article
Still, the Breakthrough Listen team doesn’t share Borra’s enthusiasm. According to a statement, they have rated the detection as a zero to 1 on the Rio Scale for SETI observations, meaning that it is insignificant.

In fact, Siemion thinks the spectral patterns were likely caused by errors in calibration or data analysis. And Plavchan agrees. He points to several steps in the team’s data analysis that “scared him” because they didn’t consider how those steps might affect their results—a red flag in any scientific claim. At the end of the day, the signal probably comes down to a human error, he says.

“It’s not a bad idea to look for a signal, it’s just that they didn’t do their homework,” says Plavchan.

Let's see who's right with their particular assumption after proper verification of the setup and data.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Been a while since this was posted.

Still no verification, but that might have more to do with priorities of work at observatories than anything else.

Either way, still waiting on that verification.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
thank you for pulling up the other thread. I forgot to check for any postings. As the article says, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, so will see what if anything comes of this.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is what happens when you allow Canadian scientists to guzzle a 12-pack of Moosehead beer before going to work in the morning.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: data5091

Good find!!

So is the signal hypothetically an intentional attempt at cross star communication, or is it supposed to be a biproduct of a civilization using lasers??

If the theory is that supposedly 234 cizilization are al pointing some really powerful beam at the sun for the express purpose of signaling their existence.. then I doubt it..

But if it is a natural bi-product of a sufficiently advanced civilization?!?!

The Who knows..

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I want to follow the emotional response and just declare ET has been found!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It would be Christmas come early if this turned out to be accurate. Two hundred civilisations too far away to be a risk to us and close enough to know *we are not alone.* That's how we like it lol!

Their original paper has two citations after a year and nobody in the field appears to have taken their interpretations seriously. There'd be a buzz and a scientific debate if their findings were legit.

It might happen one day. A paper gets published and blows all our assumptions away. One day we live in an empty galaxy and the next we're all excited by the discovery of *LIFE* out there. It'll change the world.

Not this one though...

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I want to follow the emotional response and just declare ET has been found!

Ditto. Let's just get that out of the way, and then start figuring out how to interact with the lifeforms that fill the universe.

S&F

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Claiming it could only be artificial due to the pulse speed (which could only be accomplished by lasers) just a little more than a trillionth of a second, I recall an OP about a month ago about a 'Zombie star that keeps on Exploding'. www.abovetopsecret.com... These peculiarities are not well enough known to pin it down to Alien as the story seems to suggest.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Plotus because: girlfriend remorse.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think it highly unlikely that 200+ civs would all shoot lazers at one of their suns to gain attention. I also think it highly unlikely that 200+ civs would all be using laser type technology at the same point in time. But I could and hope I am wrong.

I do however believe that we are not alone and I mean that in a big way. I also believe that we have and are being visited by both ourselves from the future and other civs!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

we truly do not know what is out there, but we are gaining some ideas with our more and more powerful ways of detecting exoplanets and more. I share your same line of thinking about life all over the universe. I have read stories about ufo/military contacts and it has been mentioned before that our government/military is aware of at least 6 civilzations in our own Milky Way Galaxy, so far.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Dr Paul LaViolette has already speculated that lasers are unnecessary when they have the technology to actually create/ craft the Pulsar Stars themselves...

Read his excellent book "Decoding the Message of the Pulsars". Required reading for the ATS connoisseur. Incredible work, as with his other books.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The Stephen Hawking founded Breakthrough Listen Project issued a statement

Yawn.....

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Breakthrough Listen has a legitimate position.

That doesn't mean Ermanno Borra is incorrect in his hypothesis, it just means that Borra will have to come up with a convincing reason based on further observations.

I don't know why people feel the need to be so dismissive of other views when it comes to ETI. Shouldn't we want to have these scientific debates and approach this staggering issue with some metered skepticism and rationality?

In fact, Siemion thinks the spectral patterns were likely caused by errors in calibration or data analysis. And Plavchan agrees.

This is the peer review process. It's how its supposed to be conducted. This is how you find errors in your experiments and make refinements so that later observations can be more accurate. It is not fair to dismiss this concern outright.

SETI and Breakthrough initiatives have an SOP and years of experience in signals analysis. Maybe the good professor has something, maybe he doesn't, but that result may hinge on Barra's experience and training in signals analysis. Only time and further study will smooth these wrinkles out.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Breakthrough Listen has a legitimate position.

That doesn't mean Ermanno Borra is incorrect in his hypothesis, it just means that Borra will have to come up with a convincing reason based on further observations.

I don't know why people feel the need to be so dismissive of other views when it comes to ETI. Shouldn't we want to have these scientific debates and approach this staggering issue with some metered skepticism and rationality?

In fact, Siemion thinks the spectral patterns were likely caused by errors in calibration or data analysis. And Plavchan agrees.

This is the peer review process. It's how its supposed to be conducted. This is how you find errors in your experiments and make refinements so that later observations can be more accurate. It is not fair to dismiss this concern outright.

SETI and Breakthrough initiatives have an SOP and years of experience in signals analysis. Maybe the good professor has something, maybe he doesn't, but that result may hinge on Barra's experience and training in signals analysis. Only time and further study will smooth these wrinkles out.

Well said.

My sentiments exactly!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Claiming it could only be artificial due to the pulse speed (which could only be accomplished by lasers) just a little more than a trillionth of a second, I recall an OP about a month ago about a 'Zombie star that keeps on Exploding'. www.abovetopsecret.com... These peculiarities are not well enough known to pin it down to Alien as the story seems to suggest.

If there was Intelligence behind the phenomenon, wouldn’t you need more than speed to determine it was indicative of purposeful communication? I would think determining if the phenomenon could be decoded into a purposeful communication would be the key and true test that the light emissions were from intelligent life?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Good find!!

So is the signal hypothetically an intentional attempt at cross star communication, or is it supposed to be a biproduct of a civilization using lasers??

If the theory is that supposedly 234 cizilization are al pointing some really powerful beam at the sun for the express purpose of signaling their existence.. then I doubt it..

But if it is a natural bi-product of a sufficiently advanced civilization?!?!

The Who knows..

That's the very question I was about to ask, but it does say signal, and signals don't tend to be gobbledygook.
It would be nice then if there was some clue as to what they are talking about.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Wouldn’t the earth have to be directly in the line of sight to even detect a laser transmission. Yet the research could detect what should be line of sight communications between 200 plus civilizations? That seems to dispel the phenomenon is laser in nature?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I think it's probably much more likely that it's something we are just not familiar with. Space I'm sure is full of phenomena we have no experience with at all. Including alien civilizations. : )

But the known universe being as vast as it is.. could be just about anything, and almost certainly something we have no knowledge about yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join