It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminist Satire Site Shuts Down Because Feminists Believe The Satire Is Reality

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Oh look another post trying to make the left sound crazy where as the Right are normal and balanced...
Despite the right reposting many of this sites satire as the truth. Hilarious.

edit on 28/11/2017 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I think they fairly obviously expected a certain portion of "the right" to believe that their satire was real. I don't think they were prepared for having their satire become the latest bar of achievement in the social justice olympics and to become positions people would actually adopt and try to defend.

That explains it if this is the case. I can see three reasons for satire
One, through flagrant exaggeration, to point out to any persuasion of people the fallacies within that persuasion
Two, Simply to make fun of another's persuasion, but maybe not as that wouldn't be satire, just poking fun.
Three. To sucker people with opposing belief systems into demonstrating just how stupid they are by believing overly exaggerated examples of the other sides idiocy.

So, even if #1 was the case for this website, it failed because the fallacies of the persuasion were were not spotlighted as fallacies, but rather picked up and championed by what they would have hoped to be the more moderate caste of that persuasion.

OR

If #3 was the case for the website, it was successful in pranking right wing publications but a failure because it was taken seriously by some radical feminists who sided with the satire not knowing it was satire.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Oh man, you're still not getting it. This is something most leftists struggle with. Read and understand the whole blog post by the author.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

Oh man, you're still not getting it. This is something most leftists struggle with. Read and understand the whole blog post by the author.

Well it certainly looks like they don't have a monopoly on smug condescension.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

This is a running theme with you guys in this thread. You don't even realize how damning it is of your ideology. It's so out of hand the satire is not just plausible, but believed about you by your opponents. But the kicker is not only do your opponents believe it about you, your proponents use the arguments given by the satirical site to justify their position! So, your opponents believing it, is not them being duped or crazy because your proponents perpetuate it, making it an actual part of your ideology. Your ideology is satire! They're hanging it up because everything that they satirize becomes normal operating procedure by the people they're satirizing.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I thought it was a facetious question. I dont think shes a feminist. Or that she isnt. I just dont think much about her at all.

Bur she (and WaPo) have labelled her as such.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I used to try to be more civil but after dealing with their reading comprehension problems for so long, I have come to the point where I just have to condescendingly laugh at them to keep from going crazy.
Starred for truth, though.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I would call it fair to label her, at least somewhat of a feminist.
She referred to the republicans, not only as republicans, but "old white republican men"
She also seems to OK with having terrible people in office, as long as they vote in a way that she deems to be protecting women’s rights and freedoms.
Lastly, she says:
"The legislative branch will remain chockablock with old, white Republican men who regard women chiefly as sex objects and unpaid housekeepers, and we’ll show them how staunchly Democrats oppose their misogynistic attitudes by handing them more power."

In this statement, she sounds like a feminist to me.
Putting all republicans in the same box like that is pretty typical (in my opinion) of feminist behavior.

But, I guess we would have to ask her, if she considers herself a feminist.
I would guess yes.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

That's because there's a thin line between comedy and tragedy.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

`Stop thinking and fighting about left or right, then humanity has already lost.

Think about good ideas or bad ideas, either from east, west, below or above.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Next you will tell me The Onion is just satire.

Whatever........

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

They didn't even get their websites quite right. There is a big difference between The Federalist and The Federalist Papers - the one that took them seriously.

But the point is that even if they were trying to satirize modern feminism, they couldn't go over the top enough. That's how crazy modern radical feminism is.

I mean, we're talking about people who make sourdough with their own vaginal yeast! How do you satirize that? That *is* satire.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Not sure if I should laugh or cry, or drink... and I do not know if I should direct it at the WAPO, or the people in this thread that cannot grasp the OP.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Don’t Gender your Pets
You may think it is of no importance whether you gender your pets but why would you do such a thing to such an important member of your life? Pets cannot speak for themselves. They cannot tell you that they are being misgendered. It’s important not to make assumptions about what gender your animal is based off of its sex.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Most people have been too stupid to appreciate satire for a long time, definitely before this newly fueled "alt" vs "alt" idiocy took over.
edit on 28-11-2017 by wheresthebody because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
Most people have been too stupid to appreciate satire for a long time, definitely before this newly fueled "alt" vs "alt" idiocy took over.

Too many have had their sense of humor disabled as well.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I couldn't agree more, I think it all goes hand in hand.

And really, people just take themselves too darn seriously these days, it's like some people think that they are something more than another bag of flesh who eats, poops and screws just like everyone else.
edit on 28-11-2017 by wheresthebody because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Then there's free bleeding. Even the transgendered can do that!

This is all satire without being satirized.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

W...T....F??

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Confirmation bias happens on both sides.

I wish conservative satire sites would do this. I have a read a couple of threads or posts where they quote from them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join