It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China Says It Will Seek North Korea Talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
China has indicated it will attempt to use its influence to try to press for more 6 nation talks regarding North Korea's nuclear program. North Korea recently raised the stakes by admitting publicly that it had nuclear weapons. It also ceased participation in the ongoing 6 nation talks and demanded that the United States negotiates with them one on one.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIJING - China has told the United States it will push for a new round of six-nation talks on the North Korean nuclear standoff and would be in contact with Pyongyang and other countries involved, the government said Sunday.

Chinese Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing spoke by phone with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Saturday night and told her Beijing stands firm in supporting a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula, the ministry said in a statement.

"China will stay in touch with all relevant parties ... so that the six-party talks could be resumed as soon as possible," Li told Rice, according to the ministry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

People have really gone to town being critical of Bush foreign policy, but this is a brilliant move. By putting pressure on China to use its influence its a win/win situation for the U.S. If China is successful the U.S. will get a non nuclear North Korea. If China fails, doubt will be cast as to its wannabe superpower status and its influence in the region.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Chinas like N Korea's big brother if theres one country they cant piss off it would be China. Heck they already saved their butts in one war.

I really think N Korea will do whatever China wants them too. If a nuclear N Korea cause China alot of trouble I bet they wont remain nuclear for long.

I think its a smart move to use China in any talks with N Korea

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Chinas like N Korea's big brother if theres one country they cant piss off it would be China. Heck they already saved their butts in one war.
I think its a smart move to use China in any talks with N Korea

Brilliant move as I said. However, China's influence only goes so far and the elder Kim invaded the South on his own the first time.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Brilliant move as I said. However, China's influence only goes so far and the elder Kim invaded the South on his own the first time.

I thought even he asked permission from Russia (Stalin) back then as they were the power player in the area.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
From the accounts that I read, it caught both powers by surprise at the time and it was something that did not want to occur. If China was on board why did they wait so long to help?

top topics

join