It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Government Shuts Down Flat-Earther's Rocket Launch

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
At first glance you would think this was a good idea.

But what if the government shutdown the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk?

Article

Mad" Mike Hughes, a flat-Earth conspiracy theorist, will have to wait a little longer to test his science-busting rocket.

Hughes had previously announced plans to launch himself in a homemade rocket to a height of 1,800 feet (550 meters) above California's Mojave Desert. But the launch, which Hughes had said would take place Nov. 25, did not happen. NPR reports that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) "got wind" of the plan after the Associated Press reported Hughes' announcement. The agency shut down Hughes' launch, which would have taken place on public land.

First off, this is going to do nothing but fuel flat earthers fire. Secondly, what business is it of government to shut down this guys fantasy? If he hurts himself so what?? Doesn't he have the right to hurt himself?

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

If he hurts himself so what?? Doesn't he have the right to hurt himself?

Isn’t it also possible he could hurt others?

I don’t know what he expects to prove at 1800 feet though.
What a retard.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
At first glance you would think this was a good idea.

But what if the government shutdown the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk?

Article

Mad" Mike Hughes, a flat-Earth conspiracy theorist, will have to wait a little longer to test his science-busting rocket.

Hughes had previously announced plans to launch himself in a homemade rocket to a height of 1,800 feet (550 meters) above California's Mojave Desert. But the launch, which Hughes had said would take place Nov. 25, did not happen. NPR reports that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) "got wind" of the plan after the Associated Press reported Hughes' announcement. The agency shut down Hughes' launch, which would have taken place on public land.

First off, this is going to do nothing but fuel flat earthers fire. Secondly, what business is it of government to shut down this guys fantasy? If he hurts himself so what?? Doesn't he have the right to hurt himself?

I'm with you on if he hurts him self so what. 100%.
Now let's apply that to all things. I don't need the gov to step in and save me

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Ummm. People can not start firing big rockets into the sky. What if he hurts someone or kills an endangered species.

The guy just wants to fly on a rocket, if he wants to find out about the flat earth, he can just take a jet ride to Hawaii. He will see a lot more and he can enjoy having a couple of drinks there and watch all the people walking around the beach.

Hey, this would have been a perfect target for the military to test their anti-missile defense system on. Maybe they should let him do it. That lasar thing is cool.
edit on 27-11-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

This is a conundrum insofar that there will now be multiple YT vids proving the earth is flat, without actual footage, just an article proving the government stopped a launch by a flat earther to prove the earth is flat.

This is why too much government irritates me.
edit on 27/11/2017 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
personally this is a great move. i mean the guy was only going up about 1,800 feet. go climb a small mountain, rent a plane, fly anywhere on any airline and have a look for yourself from a much better view. it was a moronic idea and quite honestly would probly end up costing us taxpayers a hefty chunk to deal with whatever aftermath when his rocket smashes back into earth. maybe he can rent a barge and just go out into international waters and feed the fishies.
edit on 27-11-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I listened to a interview today on YT with Mark Sargent . He is a flat earth proponent the Rocket Man was not . He put the FE sticker on his rocket as a form of publicity and advertising according to Sargent . Sargent even makes mention of the height of the flight not being very ideal ...

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

If he hurts himself so what?? Doesn't he have the right to hurt himself?

Isn’t it also possible he could hurt others?

I don’t know what he expects to prove at 1800 feet though.
What a retard.

How are you going to hurt others, way out in the Mohave desert when you will only go to 1800 feet? It's a false narrative. He could hurt his own crew I suppose, if he has one. Maybe this guy should have just chartered a Cessna and had the pilot do a few banking turns at 2000 feet. Even with that he could see the earth is definitely curved and not flat.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I would imagine it has more to do with the fact he has no training or licence?

If you want to fly, you have to have a licence that has deemed you competent to fly. Simply shooting yourself into the air with a homemade tube full of propellant is just asking for it when it comes to the FAA.

Same kinda rule for all pilots really. Otherwise everyone would be doing it??

He would have to lodge flight plans, airspace would have had to been cleared. etc etc etc

Capt.
edit on 27-11-2017 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

so where did the Wright brothers get their license??

just curious

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Maybe it could be because of air traffic concerns?

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I'm sick of the government sticking it's ugly corrupt nose into everything, most commercial flights are way way above 1800 feet

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

There was a whole thread on ATS about how this guy was specifically doing the rocket launch to prove the flat Earth theory.

ATS: Self-Taught Rocket Scientist Plans Launch to Test Flat Earth Theory

From the article cited in the thread:

Science is littered with tales of visionaries who paid for pioneering research to prove their theories, and this weekend “Mad” Mike Hughes is hoping to join them. He plans to launch a homemade rocket in California as part of a bid to eventually prove that the Earth is flat.

Anyway, now that the government shut down his launch, he has the "proof" he needed.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

There was a whole thread on ATS about how this guy was specifically doing the rocket launch to prove the flat Earth theory.
Yes I had seen the thread but apparently according to Mark Sargent that was not his intention .He just seen it as a story line to get more publicity ...here I found the vid its at the 6 min mark

edit on 27-11-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

If I cannot drive my self without having to wear a seatbelt...he can't launch himself in a rocket. Safety first!

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Yeah.

The government needs to shut down a rocket in the desert because it might hurt somebody.

This is the same government that invades countries based on lies about weapons of mass destruction. 'Cause that don't hurt nobody.

Thanks government

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Oh noes....da guvmint is censuring da troof!!!

Thats what I'm waiting for!!

Flat earth LOL

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Well, that's one hell of a dumb idea.

Now, I always find it rather ironic when governments official try and stop normal citizens to do things that they allow themselves and affiliated organizations to do. It's not like NASA didn't take risks at all now and in the past to harm nature and living beings.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
" to a height of 1,800 feet (550 meters) above California's Mojave Desert"

That MUST be a misprint, heck that's scarcely over a quarter mile, 4-5 city blocks in a small town. We flew 2,000 to 3,000 every day in our Huey Slicks in Vietnam. A jet like United or Southwest flies at 36,000 feet routinely.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

so where did the Wright brothers get their license??

just curious

uh...

That's a joke right ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join