It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At a Navajo veterans' event, Trump makes 'Pocahontas' crack

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Exactly.

You can't erase or whitewash the pavement blocks that lead you here. Each of those stones, good/bad/ugly, are part of the building, and, btw, most every one of those stones are a mixture of all three. People that have eyes to see that understand it, and have learned how to live with it.

WhoTF gets upset over Andrew Jackson's portrait?! Idiots...that's who...small minded one-layered thinkers.

edit on 28-11-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: fiverx313

I'm sure all your friends all said the same thing.

Now about you not cherry pick outt the easiest sliver of my post there to respond to.

um? i either addressed your other points in my other posts, or thought they weren't addressing. just because you write a novel doesn't mean you're going to get a point by point rebuttal -- nor does that lack of a point by point mean you won anything. welcome to the internet!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The trail runs right in front of my place. The annual Trail of Tears Bike Ride goes through here, and I tend to stop and watch them every chance I get.

a reply to: Krazysh0t

I know she checked the box on a form claiming Native American status to get minority advantage. How that has assisted her over time is a good question.

And I will even concede that it is possible that somewhere during my life, in a moment of weakness, I might have checked that box. I'm not going to denigrate her for that, but I will denigrate her for her response. Since when is "Pocahontas" an insult? It's like someone calling me "Geronimo." I would consider it an undeserved honor, not take it as an insult. That is the racist part. My response would be along the lines of "I wish," not "how dare you!"

People have forgotten what racism is. It's not a word someone used without thinking, or spending every waking hour trying to further define "equality." Racism is the inner belief that someone else is inferior to you because of some superficial characteristic such as race. The very fact that Warren considers a comparison between herself and the great native princess Pocahontas to be so heinous is absolute racism, much more so than anyone using the 'N-word' or eating too much fried chicken or watermelon.

And the fact that you see no problem with her attitude tells me you agree with her... Indians are inferior.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I was quite candid in explaining how Pocahontas as a "racial slur" etc is absurd. And then you picked the very last bit of sentence out that didnt speak to that the real point of my post by exclaiming that since one of your liberal native buddies is appalled then we're to surmise she speaks for all native americans, more or less. Which is funny of course, since in a liberal echo chamber she really only speaks for fellow liberals.

Although I was really trying to discuss in that post the merits of this "Pocahontas as an racial insult" notion.

That's what irks me about this latest daily liberal virtue signalling circle jerk. Note I have a long history of being a hardliner in sticking up for the legacy of Native Americans, my work here has been speaking this ongoing Liberal OUTRAGE Pattern.
edit on 28-11-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

It bothers me that fried chicken and watermelon are racist terms. They are 2 of my favorite foods. I eat watermelon 4 or 5 days a week during the summer. And we eat fried chicken weekly, like good southerners do.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I can't say myself, but this thread caused me to look up the event in question to see what the big deal was. Like I said, it seems to be a big to-do over nothing. If she didn't use it to further her career, then I see no problems at all.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Yvhmer

You are right and it is one of the reasons I'm not bouncing of the walls in panic or anything. I just can't help but feel a bit anxious otherwise. It's always there, and the constant need for Trump to have people around him suck up to him doesn't help. What if he installs all "yes" men into the key positions and it doesn't matter? I don't think that is the case now, but I'm not entirely sure it won't happen in the future.

And although Nuclear is an assured way to bring down a country for thousands of years to come, it is a stupid, self defeating way, as any fool can see. That is an upside, too. If war is bad for business, think nuclear is 1000 times worse for business. And Mr DJT is a businessman..

This is a good point, but Trump doesn't think about the future when proposing a solution. It is beyond obvious that he only chooses solutions that fix the problem NOW regardless of long term consequences. So while saner people can see the logic in what you say, I'm not entirely sure that would matter to Trump if another country makes him angry enough.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I can't say myself, but this thread caused me to look up the event in question to see what the big deal was. Like I said, it seems to be a big to-do over nothing. If she didn't use it to further her career, then I see no problems at all.

Who knows if it furthered her career or not. That would be impossible to assess.

What I have to question is why she did it. It looks like something someone would do to score some kind of points. If her intention wasn't to position herself to check off a few minority boxes, what was it?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
And I will even concede that it is possible that somewhere during my life, in a moment of weakness, I might have checked that box. I'm not going to denigrate her for that, but I will denigrate her for her response. Since when is "Pocahontas" an insult? It's like someone calling me "Geronimo." I would consider it an undeserved honor, not take it as an insult. That is the racist part. My response would be along the lines of "I wish," not "how dare you!"

Come on man... Really? There is more to an insult than just the syntax of the word used. There is inflection. There is the context it was used in. I mean, maybe, I can see your point on it not being an insult just looking at it by itself, but we both know Trump wasn't using it as a term of endearment. Not the first time and not this time. Pretending otherwise is just ignorance. Plain and simple.

Maybe she responded poorly, but then again being a politician isn't supposed to be about who has the best school yard comebacks. It should be about writing effective policy and the ability to get it passed.

People have forgotten what racism is. It's not a word someone used without thinking, or spending every waking hour trying to further define "equality." Racism is the inner belief that someone else is inferior to you because of some superficial characteristic such as race. The very fact that Warren considers a comparison between herself and the great native princess Pocahontas to be so heinous is absolute racism, much more so than anyone using the 'N-word' or eating too much fried chicken or watermelon.

Again. When you use that word as an insult then yes it can be seen as racist. It is showing insensitivity towards her and also her alleged native race as it shows Trump doesn't care to even differentiate these things. It's like telling a black or asian person they all look the same.

And the fact that you see no problem with her attitude tells me you agree with her... Indians are inferior.

TheRedneck

Did you just call me racist?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I was quite candid in explaining how Pocahontas as a "racial slur" etc is absurd. And then you picked the very last bit of sentence out that didnt speak to that the real point of my post by exclaiming that since one of your liberal native buddies is appalled then we're to surmise she speaks for all native americans, more or less. Which is funny of course, since in a liberal echo chamber she really only speaks for fellow liberals.

Although I was really trying to discuss in that post the merits of this "Pocahontas as an racial insult" notion.

That's what irks me about this latest daily liberal virtue signalling circle jerk. Note I have a long history of being a hardliner in sticking up for the legacy of Native Americans, my work here has been speaking this ongoing Liberal OUTRAGE Pattern.

sorry, i thought it was pretty clear that if you're trying to insult someone who claims native ancestry by calling them pocohantas, when the tribes are completely different, and pocohantas has nothing to do with anything about the person in question, it is in fact racist.

the fact that it's the only insult that could be thought of by a person, or the insult they thought would be the only thing other people would 'get', is in fact part of that racism. it's ignorant as all hell. it's showing you don't even care enough about the culture you're mocking to try and understand anything basic about it.

to bring it up for no reason at that ceremony, just because your tiny brain made a connection between indian things, is just doubling down on how stupidly racist it is.

like when some conservatives compare every black person they don't like to jesse jackson, or don king.

ahem.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: TheRedneck

It bothers me that fried chicken and watermelon are racist terms. They are 2 of my favorite foods. I eat watermelon 4 or 5 days a week during the summer. And we eat fried chicken weekly, like good southerners do.

got damn right fat man
watermelon is banging. ive been known to eat an entire watermelon a day for several days in a row. seedless. salt. yum.

this would be funnier if he were actually native and not italian

hahahahahahah

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Perhaps she did. Though, keep in mind, it happened when she was much younger. We all make mistakes and it doesn't look like she benefited from this dumb decision too much, so why harp on it? Unless you have evidence to the contrary that she DID benefit from it that is.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Perhaps she did. Though, keep in mind, it happened when she was much younger. We all make mistakes and it doesn't look like she benefited from this dumb decision too much, so why harp on it? Unless you have evidence to the contrary that she DID benefit from it that is.

trump used to claim his family was swedish instead of german, no? shall we start calling him Swedish Chef?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Because her motives for making that directory listing are not clear, but call to my mind rachel dolezal.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Swedish Meatball would be funnier

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Okay now that you finally have your thinking cap on, to save repeating myself I did two posts back to back on that page:

Native American group: Trump ‘Pocahontas’ line ‘smacks of racism'

Does that mean that Native American's hate Pocahontas?

I mean if I was a fake asshat like Warren, and an [insert racial minority person type here] called me "Benedict Arnold" for my behavior, the last thing that would ever ever ever come to mind is it was a "racial slur".

It was in bad taste no less, so perhaps they just lacked a better buzzword for it there. Then again I've been gathering that many of the individuals you actually hear these days sound an awful lot like properly instructed SJW's (I mean their words SJW Language verbatim).

But cmon its not like Pewdiepie's bad Jew joke that got him into trouble, and even that case could be argued as extremely bad joke with abysmal execution.

Note that here it WAS certanly a racial joke in that case, but if something is genuinely meant to be a joke then special rules apply to these situations. Unless that is you're an Proper SJW, whom are out actively trying to ban comedians to such a degree the likes of Bill Maher (liberal jew), Jerry Seinfeld (jew) & Chris Rock (black) are all leading outspoken critics of their social disaster that is the PC Religion.

Without using the Google, How many famous native american heroines are there that, well, anybody and everybody could hear the name and immediately get its a native american character reference? Pocahontas hell half the world probably seen the Disney movie, and since our political circus is all the worlds to see, what other name would there be?

And now that I'm checking her out in this context, finally, I could see where to natives she'd easily come off as a Benedict Arnold type character, meaning its usage applied to fake ass Warren some could argue was brilliant.

But then there's people whom have no sense of humor, are hyper-sensitive to humor that in any workplace I've been in jokes likes these would be bonding rituals, and in this equation 100% of the outrage is up to the native americans NOT virtue singaling upper class "white privileged" millennial minded dooshbags.

Note numerous question marks in there, which nobody has made any attempt to answer.

But you did immediately follow up with this:

originally posted by: fiverx313

and in this equation 100% of the outrage is up to the native americans NOT virtue singaling upper class "white privileged" millennial minded dooshbags.

white people have the responsibility to call out our own. but if it makes you feel better, my native friend is just as pissed

ETA: she says it was disrespectful to the code talkers, disrespectful to lump all the tribes together, and disrespectful to an ancestor to use her name as an insult. so there ya go.

Which now on this page since I've called out on the general topic I was pushing for you've now done a pretty good general approach to said topic.

And we've both made our point. Together.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Well then maybe do some investigative work then instead of jumping to conclusions. As it stands there is nothing really to hold against her except she made a dumb decision many years ago, but then again. Don't we all? But if this concerns you so much, then you need more information to make a judgement call.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
to bring it up for no reason at that ceremony, just because your tiny brain made a connection between indian things, is just doubling down on how stupidly racist it is.

I've actually criticized it as being dumb, abysmally executed, terrible timing, etc.

And then I've been criticizing how HUMOR being outraged as ZOMG RACIAL BIGOTRY by 'half' the population is even more disturbing than one silly individual whom the media cant stop showering in attention.

But despite criticizing Trump's end opn this, for daring to call out the even more disturbing social decay this event is exposing, that makes me a "Trumpologist" or whatever.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Well then maybe do some investigative work then instead of jumping to conclusions. As it stands there is nothing really to hold against her except she made a dumb decision many years ago, but then again. Don't we all?

Oh come on man.

She lied about her ancestry. If she didn't lie to Harvard, then she's lied on every other form. Why would someone choose to lie about their ancestry?

I don't need to research it any further. Im not a criminal court, and until she (or someone) presents information that explains why she chose to lie at that time, my opinion is set.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join