It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At a Navajo veterans' event, Trump makes 'Pocahontas' crack

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I would have played you a Bush clip but it wouldnt trigger you into "BUT BUT BUT OBAMA!".

like a children's .. on a playground.

forget the twaddle over some nonsensical name calling by the president of the United States at a ceremony for people who actually served in the armed forces,

im curious as to what wouldn't you be willing to defend Trump against, where would you draw the line.
(try not to bring Obama into the response.. if you can)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
anyone have a link to a video of the entire event? I was just wondering if I watched it, would I walk away even knowing what the role the code breakers played during their service, or was the whole event just a political photo op..

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: shooterbrody

Trump made a bad joke, but what warren did (which you refuse to acknowledge) is much much worse.

Trump also held this meeting with a giant picture of Andrew Jackson hanging on the wall in front of the Navajos. That's like honoring Thomas Edison while having a giant picture of Hitler staring at him.

Indians see Andrew Jackson every time they touch a $20 dollar bill.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Based on the play this story is getting during a slow week of news, I'm pretty sure that President Trump used the "Pocahontas" remark for increasing awareness of Native Americans, AND that he's taking the time to honor them.

I bet THEY view it as a POSITIVE for them. And THEIR thoughts are the ones that really matter.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Trump made a bad joke, but what warren did (which you refuse to acknowledge) is much much worse.

Trump also held this meeting with a giant picture of Andrew Jackson hanging on the wall in front of the Navajos. That's like honoring Thomas Edison while having a giant picture of Hitler staring at him.

Indians see Andrew Jackson every time they touch a $20 dollar bill.

TBH Jackson shouldn't even be on the 20 in the first place. He hated centralized banking and based his entire Presidency around dismantling the 2nd BUS. But weren't we supposed to be changing the face of the 20 anyways? Nah Trump goon squad member Mnuchin doesn't want to do that.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Trump also held this meeting with a giant picture of Andrew Jackson hanging on the wall in front of the Navajos. That's like honoring MLK while having a giant picture of David Duke staring at him.

Well well well now....
Were you not the one earlier in this very thread chastising people for lumping all native americans together?
Why yes you were....

Are you aware that neither Pocahontas nor Elizabeth Warren are Navajos and that the Navajos are WORLDS different than the Tsenacommacah (Pocahontas' tribe) or Cherokee (Warren's alleged tribe ancestry)?

Please let me know what the Indian Removal Act did to the Navajos.
Also please fill me in about your misplaced contempt for a POTUS that signed a law passed by CONGRESS. Andrew Jackson did not do all of this alone as you incorrectly imply.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I was making a point Trump says wacky shia'ite, and sometimes it dont go well, but at least he can actually talk without a teleprompter when the likes of Obama as soon as his teleprompter would cut out he'd go into total meltdown. But Trump he's both the village idiot and a total asshole to ye Obama bootlickers.

Or he's just got a shrewd sense of humor; his joke delivery sometimes leaves much to be admired. Etc.

I'm curious what can you find me protecting Trump against. Check my post history good luck. Its generally only hair brained SJW hysterial lunacy, outright fabrications, and MSM tabloid tactics I call out the more insane / pure demagogue oriented the more compelled I am to keep you guys honest.

But have fun trying to run your "name calling by the president of the United States at a ceremony for people" against my arguments direct to that issue herein.
edit on 28-11-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

That wasn't the point I was making and you know it.

No, it was not.

My point is, the sky isn't falling here.

In fairness, I may be projecting a bit here as I've seen people stating that this event is "the last straw". Of all things, a well placed (albeit terribly timed) comment during an event that no one, save for a few thousand interested people, otherwise cared about.

In all honesty, if the Navajo men felt bad after having their event ruined with his comment, im sure they feel worse about having the memory of the event completely destroyed. The "few thousand" i referenced above are mostly friend, family, and comrades.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I see. I see. Andrew Jackson wasn't really an Indian racist because Congress drafted the Indian Removal Act. It all makes sense now! Why didn't I see that before? Nevermind his genocide campaigns against them or his outspoken contempt for them. He's in the clear. Congress was at fault.

Oh this was all sarcasm by the way.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

That wasn't the point I was making and you know it.

No, it was not.

My point is, the sky isn't falling here.

In fairness, I may be projecting a bit here as I've seen people stating that this event is "the last straw". Of all things, a well placed (albeit terribly timed) comment during an event that no one, save for a few thousand interested people, otherwise cared about.

Which is something that I didn't say. I just chalked this up to yet another episode of Trump being Trump. That doesn't mean I can't be upset about it. Many things about it just rubbed me the wrong way, but I don't want to apologize for having a conscious.

In all honesty, if the Navajo men felt bad after having their event ruined with his comment, im sure they feel worse about having the memory of the event completely destroyed. The "few thousand" i referenced above are mostly friend, family, and comrades.

Welcome to the new normal. Everything Trump touches is broken afterwards.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
In this case I don't think he was trying to purposely mock anyone. He is just insensitive, crude and in general, stupid. So this sort of stuff spews out of his mouth.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I see. I see. Andrew Jackson wasn't really an Indian racist because Congress drafted the Indian Removal Act. It all makes sense now! Why didn't I see that before? Nevermind his genocide campaigns against them or his outspoken contempt for them. He's in the clear. Congress was at fault.

Oh this was all sarcasm by the way.

No you just opened your yap again about things you have no actual knowledge of in order to slag trump.
What is hilarious is you railed on people here for the very thing you did yourself.
Jackson had nothing to do with the navajo, but hey you lump them all together in your conglomeration of ignorance in your race to be the first to slag trump.
Still no comment on warren tho.
Typical from your current sjw stance.
trump jokes=bad
warren lies=good

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
sry you pepople are just blind when you not see anything on this guy
[ats]http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/55db30f0eab8ea3f48b3e4df/we-got-our-hands-on-donald-trumps-failed-1989-board-game-and-its-bizarre.jpg[/a ts]
edit on 28-11-2017 by sedna9 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-11-2017 by sedna9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have known I had Cherokee and Creek blood almost all my life. When I was younger, the school sent home a form for my folks to fill out so I could join a tribe. Maybe we should have done it, but... nope. We felt that I wasn't knowledgeable enough to join one and it would be offensive to tribe members who understood their ways if I just showed up out of nowhere.

So, I never joined a tribe. I know very little about that part of my heritage... but I would like to know more. I don't check the box on forms that says "Native American" (although I will admit to hovering over it occasionally in the past) out of respect for those who have an understanding of that culture that I lack.

But yes, I am Cherokee. And damn proud of it.

So when Pocahontas decided that she was going to use a lie to push her political career ahead, a career that I know has never tried to honor the tribes, I am offended. I am badly offended. She becomes offensive to me. I do not believe she has any respect for the Indians (yes, that is still the term I use, and as I see it, I am allowed to use it).

I saw no disrespect from Trump... a little good-natured ribbing, punctuated with statements of appreciation, held in a manner that in itself was respectful of the Navajo. The wind-talkers are legends in their own right, just as are some aspects of the Cherokee, the Seminole, the Sioux, etc. One does not have to have the atmosphere of a church funeral in order to acknowledge that.

One only need accept that these peoples are unique, special, talented members of our world and not just someone else to be used as a stepping stone for career advancement.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: sedna9

No trump made a bad joke.
Guess a bad joke these days is worse than actual cultural appropriation.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

But yes, I am Cherokee. And damn proud of it.

Im not much proud of it, but me, too. Great, great grandma marched the Trail of Tears. Its how my grandma ended up being born in Oklahoma to meet my grandfather.

Were my grandmother not burned over the majority of her visible body from a kerosene accident when she was alittle girl (it was her turn to fill the lanterns that night), it would have been fairly obvious she was indian.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

How much do you know about the event in question actually? For one, she maintains that she has never used the native angle to further her career. For two, this dates back to her college days and something that Harvard Law school said about her after listing herself as a minority in an Association of American Law Schools directory. She didn't do that while a student though.

For two, she didn't even make this political in the first place. It was her opponent during the 2012 Senate race that made this a political issue. She merely defended herself. It's not like she was campaigning as a Cherokee or anything.
Here's the deal with Elizabeth Warren's Native American heritage

You can believe what you want about what she said and are free to believe if she is really native or not, but it really looks like this is an issue that was blown out of proportion by idiotic republicans during the campaign trail and Trump has refused to let it die.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: sedna9

No trump made a bad joke.
Guess a bad joke these days is worse than actual cultural appropriation.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I dunno man. Why did she list her name in the directory as "native american" then?

I've heard all my family lore, as well. I've never claimed anything other than "caucasian". Im sure Warren was the same, until that particular moment when she decided to list herself as a minority in a directory.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Interesting imagery. A bit akin to the vid: Land of confusion, where RR pushes a button ....whereas in reality, the order itself is the presidents prerogative but never ever in a vacuum. To a degree I find it reassuring that there still are high ranking military officers who think about their orders before executing them or decline to execute them. I also find it reassuring that NO nuke has fallen on NK, despite the many who have argued for such a scheme.

And although Nuclear is an assured way to bring down a country for thousands of years to come, it is a stupid, self defeating way, as any fool can see. That is an upside, too. If war is bad for business, think nuclear is 1000 times worse for business. And Mr DJT is a businessman..

There are far more devious and convoluted ways of bringing down a country by subversion of standards. When above becomes below, when left becomes right, when what was once light becomes dark .... when your wage is not enough to sustain a family of 5, this is when a nation loses it's ability to defend itself and get's destroyed from within.

And to undo subversion on this scale is a scheme of such enormity, where would you begin. Even when talking to Trump supporters they are quite unhappy, as their personal pets have not been elevated to the level of implemented policy. What we now are seeing is on public display: how deep the rabbit hole actually goes.

In a sense this looks like a sort of forced public vaccination with the red pill.

Funny, when you think about it.

Look at the discussions going on here. ......

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join