It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiests vs The Religious Conspiracy... Explain to Me Why Believers Believe.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I would say you have a closed mind. You know nothing of the message and the content or you might have a different opinion.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

The natural would is full of death, pain, and destruction by a dominant male for example. Or the processes of the universe is full of world destroying power, where does morality come into play? If human thought is not soulful, how can chemicals and electricity be moral?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
How is this for an illogical theory on the true cycle of creation....

Lesser man creates robots in mans curiosity of the physical world that makes men obsolete. Man withers into oblivion.

In time, Robots create biological creatures in robots bit for searching true creativity and reasoning. Dogmatic robots made obsolete by creative biologics.

I think you are assigning too much importance to the infinitesimally small thing called "Earth life".

The universe/all of creation is so huge that creation probably isn't affected (nor will be affected) to any noticeable degree by Earth life.

edit on 4/12/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

Lesser man creates robots in mans curiosity of the physical world that makes men obsolete. Man withers into oblivion.

In time, Robots create biological creatures in robots bit for searching true creativity and reasoning. Dogmatic robots made obsolete by creative biologics.

I think you are assigning too much importance to the infinitesimally small thing called "Earth life".

The universe/all of creation is so huge that creation probably isn't affected (nor will be affected) by any noticeable degree by Earth life.

But one gamma ray burst or solar storm can destroy all life on earth.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The universe/all of creation is so huge that creation probably isn't affected (nor will be affected) by any noticeable degree by Earth life.

Yep. But that doesn't mean the universe notices we are here -- nor would it notice of that gamma ray burst destroyed us. The universe would go on. heck, even our entire galaxy is just a miniscule and virtually imperceptible part of the observable/known universe as a whole.

Think of it this way: Here is the original Hubble "Deep Field Image"

Everything in this image (except for three stars with "diffraction rays"), even every tiny one-pixel dot, is a galaxy. And this is only one tiny tiny part of the sky; the actual sky is thousands of times bigger than this image.

Now, consider we are aliens living in one of those tiny one-pixel galaxies on the other side of the observable universe from the Milky Way Galaxy, and we did our own "Deep Field Image". That image might include a tiny (almost imperceptable) one-pixel dot that is actually the entire Milky Way galaxy....

...Now if that one little dot happene to disappear(i,e,m if the Miky Way magically ceased to exist), do you really think those aliens who took their own deep field image might evn notice those loss of that one tiny almost impercaptable pixel?

Maybe an alien astronomer who took a detail inventory of that image might notice, but for all intents and pruposes, it would not really make a difference to the universe as a whole.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Erm, no. We came from the sea originally. The land would be recolonised eventually by something evolving from sealife. What, did you think we were unique or something?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

That is the point. If there is no supreme moral authority, nothing maters. Especially concerning self imposed morality. Thanks for underlining that without God to define evil, what Hitler did was insignificant and part of the processes of the universe.

Or do you want to talk in terms of good and evil?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Erm, no. We came from the sea originally. The land would be recolonised eventually by something evolving from sealife. What, did you think we were unique or something?

Than why worry about morality if we are just a product of the sea. Do you believe in right or wrong. Or the processes of evolution that has no morality. Just selection.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

That is the point. If there is no supreme moral authority, nothing maters. Especially concerning self imposed morality. Thanks for underlining that without God to define evil, what Hitler did was insignificant and part of the processes of the universe.

Or do you want to talk in terms of good and evil?

I begin to fear that we are going to just go around and around in circles at this point. Why do you think that morality comes from a deity? The god of the bible forbids the eating of shellfish and pork and the touching of porkskin, demands that I light no fires on a specific day of the week and avoid any woman who is menstruating, is just fine with slavery and also lies about how large the Kingdom of Solomon was.
As an atheist I don't like hurting people, I don't lie to people and I have a moral code. I also don't want to break the law and go to jail. Hitler was a mass murderer and was not an atheist.
edit on 4-12-2017 by AngryCymraeg because: typo

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I also don't want to break the law and go to jail. Hitler was a mass murderer and was not an atheist.

Hitler was into the occult and was not religious or spiritual. Being into the occult invites evil spirits to influence your life. Avoid the occult at all costs! The reason we have bad things happening (disease, war, etc.) on earth are due to demonic influences, not God!
edit on 4-12-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

But what gives you more right to say I am more morale than x?

Take the statements I have seen claimed by people. “Religious is evil”.

Or. “I am atheist, so when I do good it’s more moral. I don’t have to be good.”

If there is no supreme source of good, then there is no evil. No evil no morality. No morality, only process. That makes WWII only a process which the suffering was meaningless.

If you honestly think you have no soul, your just a chemical machine of electric impulses, that is your choice. But one must ask why you enjoy the beauty of the universe? Was that evolution? Why enjoy beauty at all? Why honor the word of law if there is only natural order?
edit on 4-12-2017 by neutronflux because: Added

edit on 4-12-2017 by neutronflux because: Added natural order.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Than why worry about morality if we are just a product of the sea. Do you believe in right or wrong. Or the processes of evolution that has no morality. Just selection.

My morality would exist whether God exists or not. I have no idea if God exists, but I know for a fact that I need to treat other people with the same respect that I wish they would treat me.

I don't need God to tell me that is the right thing to do. If I didn't do that (and I have on occasion not acted totally respectfully toward fellow humans), then that would make me feel bad about myself and disappointed in myself. I don't like feeling that way.

There is a humanistic morality that exists above and beyond any religious morality. I think it is that humanistic morality (common decency) that is the basis for religious morality, not vice-versa. Again, I don't necessarily require a God to tell me how to act with common decency.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Morality is culture based. Not right or wrong. Or good or evil.

If you are against child labor, are you more moral than a country that practices child labor?

In the natural order that is selective of dominate creatures, why be “nice”.

What from evolution teaches the value of the written law?

Why as humans do we appreciate manufactured beauty such as art or music? Or appreciate the beauty of Jupiter?

Lots going on in that soulless electro chemical machine called the brain.

So there is no spirituality. This is as real as it gets, with no hope of overcoming the limitations of this physical world. No good. No evil. Just morals based on culture? With repeated examples of those willIing to murder and deceive are granted power? And it is all meaningless.
edit on 4-12-2017 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

So, is there a spirit of kindness in you? Or you are just taught to be nice by society. Either way you are programmed by your own logic.

I see that man is born with a soul that has to prove its worth in good or evil. God has given us free will.

By your logic, goodness only exists to make you feel good? Which is pointless, because their is no point to that kindness.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Which is pointless, because their is no point to that kindness.

Except for successfully co-existing with society. Which makes life easier.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BStoltman

"Athiests vs The Religious Conspiracy... Explain to Me Why Believers Believe."

The simple answer is because they want to believe they are more than just the sum of there own parts.

And they may be correct but if they are, chances are it won't be in the manner or fashion described in any and all religious text which are simply a creation of Man with all his fear and fallibility at play.

If there's is any true word of God to behold it will be spoken in the language of mathematics.

edit on 4-12-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I want to try to be good, stay clear of evil to prove my worth. To pass the test of having freewill.... the test of having the ability choose good or evil? Vs I am good cause I want to feel nice?

Being of the Kingdom of God is not having to be nice. It’s the willful choice of choosing Good over Evil.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

That test just like the notion of free will may very well be illusory.

Just like the rest of the reality, we think we experience.

If that turns out to be the case then what?

Give this short vid a view if you have a spare 6 minutes.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

If I don’t have free will, will the video change that? Are you saying a video will determine if I have free will or not? I choose to not watch the video.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

"If I don’t have free will, will the video change that?"

Nope.

"Are you saying a video will determine if I have free will or not?"

It's not "The Ring" mate, just a 6min vid that should not offend anyone's sensibility or cause offense short of a few profanities in the guys rhetoric.

I'm just saying he posses, and so have others, some rather interesting questions regarding freewill.

You choose to accept the words in a book created thousands of years in the past, written and edited, over the millennia, time and time again, by Man as the word of God........i assume?

I really don't know which way i lean as to whether or not we possess a modicum of free will but i will say that should predestination also be the case as apparently, God has a plan, then free will must be illusory, one ideology not exactly being synonymous with the other.

Choose whatever you wish, or think that you do, six of one and a half dozen of the other really and that's the interesting part of the equation.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join