It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to all of the bugs? A 50 year observation from one location.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: EarthShine

That is a great observation as well.

We have to think about what has transpired in our technology recently when we see such change in very sensitive creatures, which certainly would be insects. The radio electromagnetic spectrum that we have imposed on the Earth is very new, with just about everything producing Microwave, WIFI and Bluetooth RF emissions ..... This is a very real possibility and if science suspects it... it may just be real.

If that is true, we are faced with the decision that these creatures may be expendable.... in exchange for our proliferation of social media.... Wow. With what is going on presently this is more important than the self righteous implications of our hypocritical society.... but do we have the responsible and ethical wherewithal to address it as a possible global crisis?

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Speaking about our little neck of the woods in the Suburbs of Detroit, I think in urban areas its our desire for pesticides in our yards and creating the natural habit again.
When we first moved here there wasn't much in the way of bugs or variety of birds. When myself and my neighbor built 4 ponds for our koi and started to really landscape with an eye toward creating an Oasis of sorts something crazy happened. We got grasshoppers again for the first time since we moved here 20 years ago. Dragonfly, lightning bugs, katydids and a variety of butterflies showed up. Without us spraying pesticides and enriching our soil, we got more bugs and worms which attracted birds and other wildlife. Planting certain things brought more types of birds, even hummingbirds. Our ponds attract wasps and birds. We've created a little ecosystem in the last 5 years. It's pretty remarkable. The next step is turtles, toads and frogs.

Its amazing what you can do even on a small scale with some planning.

For us the key were the ponds and building our soil up without pesticides.
edit on 27-11-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

"If you build it, they will come." Has remarkable implications.
If you put all we have done to impede their proliferation in retrospect, doing something positive like that, throws the bar down a notch enough that they may be able to gain a survival niche. Very nice.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Indeed the question remains at what point does the collapse directly impact us at the top of the food chain.

Look at the figures.. Insects.. Fish ..Birds all gone. It is a matter of time. The question we should asking at what point is action defined as self defense.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Indeed the question remains at what point does the collapse directly impact us at the top of the food chain.

Look at the figures.. Insects.. Fish ..Birds all gone. It is a matter of time. The question we should asking at what point is action defined as self defense.

Looking at the figures that stated that on the average, 20 species a day go extinct...
We have to understand what is natural and what is caused by us.
Intelligence will be defined by how we address this.
edit on 27-11-2017 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
a reply to: pavil

"If you build it, they will come." Has remarkable implications.
If you put all we have done to impede their proliferation in retrospect, doing something positive like that, throws the bar down a notch enough that they may be able to gain a survival niche. Very nice.

Sort of....

Nature is like they say in Jurassic Park, it will find a way.

We just have to provide it the basics, food and water without many Chemicals and pesticides. If theres food, Life will follow it. Sure we have more bug bites and plants eaten by bugs and our lawn isn't perfect, but its a tradeoff I willingly make for the increase in animals and variety of them. We actively research how to attract certain bugs and birds.When we have newts and salamanders, I'll know we have really been successful at this.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Looking at the figures that stated that on the average, 20 species a day go extinct... We have to understand what is natural and what is caused by us. Intelligence will be defined by how we address this

Its pretty much caused by us.. The main cause of extinction is habitat loss. That is our doing.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Revelation Chapter 8 makes very interesting reading related to this subject:

www.biblegateway.com...

The Trumpets

6 Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.

7 The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

8 The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood.[a] A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

12 The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night.

13 As I watched, I heard an eagle that was flying in midair call out in a loud voice: “Woe! Woe! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the trumpet blasts about to be sounded by the other three angels!”

edit on 27-11-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Im 55 and live in Minnesota and i think the bugs are just as bad as always especially horse flys at the park! and dont get me going on nats and skeeters! i used to love watching the bug zapper but the smell got so bad i had to throw it out! then i seen them on sale and i got another one and thought hell why dont i give it to my neighbor! he was so happy and most all the bugs went over to his house! brilliant, then i got one for the lady on the other side and i believe we had three years of bug free patio fun!
edit on 03 08 2017 by TimHeller because: spelling

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Regardless though when mother nature has had enough of us she will remove us like popping a pimple, it will be short and sweet.

I'm constantly blabbing on about greed and how it's unsustainable, my background is in horticulture, I have a firm grasp on environmental issues and if successful you will be well impressed with my next business venture .

I can only do what's in my power, but I'm giving back any way I can.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: purplemer

Regardless though when mother nature has had enough of us she will remove us like popping a pimple, it will be short and sweet.

I'm constantly blabbing on about greed and how it's unsustainable, my background is in horticulture, I have a firm grasp on environmental issues and if successful you will be well impressed with my next business venture .

I can only do what's in my power, but I'm giving back any way I can.

You are right about nature taking us out:

science.howstuffworks.com...

How did Lake Nyos suddenly kill 1,700 people? by Susan L. Nasr

Lake Nyos had long been quiet before it happened. Farmers and migratory herders in the West African country of Cameroon knew the lake as large, still and blue. But on the evening of Aug. 21, 1986, farmers living near the lake heard rumbling. At the same time, a frothy spray shot hundreds of feet out of the lake, and a white cloud collected over the water. From the gro­und, the cloud grew to 328 feet (100 meters) tall and flowed across the land. When farmers near the lake left their houses to investigate the noise, they lost consciousness...

People in the affected areas collapsed in their tracks -- at home, on roads or in the field -- losing consciousness or dying in a few breaths. In Nyos an­d Kam, the first villages hit by the cloud, everyone but four inhabitants on high ground died.

People, we have NO measure of the concept of what is lurking down there in the molten depths toxin wise and what is lurking out in space in terms of of a big lump of rock that right now may be not even as close as Pluto, but Wormwood is the name written on it with us as the delivery recipient; "Wormwood" John, kinda has a ring to it!

Everything is just for a while.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Same thing here in the Scottish highlands.

Used the in the summer at night the windows would not swarming with midges and moths and all sorts. This year? I barely saw a single insect.

Seriously weird. And scary.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
It ain't just the bugs dying. LOOK:

Today's news:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Scientists warn Lake Victoria is dying Scientists are warning that Lake Victoria, Africa's largest freshwater lake, is under threat of dying. They blame over-fishing and pollution for severely damaged fish stocks. A Ugandan fisherman has told the BBC his catch has declined in recent years.

The same is happening to many other lakes. Think of all the plastic in the oceans. Think of all the flooding in recent years. Think of all the nuclear accidents and weapons tests. Think of all the uranium and diamond mining watelands:

People are dying of hunger and disease and in wars because the resources are being destroyed as human need rises:

Around 9 million people die of hunger and hunger-related diseases every year, more than double the lives taken by AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis in 2012. Every 10 seconds, a child dies from hunger.

www.theguardian.com...

International Institute for Strategic Studies says despite fewer wars number of deaths has trebled since 2008 due to an ‘inexorable intensification of violence’

Our population numbers are growing as resources tighten. By our overuse and abuse we make less of the resources. Our abuse destroys our own food cupboard and of course nature has some seriously powerful forces that are unleashed by this. However, we also must appreciate that we are nature. Nature will make us fight in wars more and more over less and less (war is a very quick means to ruthless population control). There is a clear indication now that conflict is on the rise. There is no doubt that shortage of resources will unleash wars on us all over the earth.

If you are not seeing this you are very blind. I see it clearly. I think those who don't can't face reality and they bury their heads in the sand and think that will somehow make it go away or it does not concern them. it does concern everybody. I think they are greedy and don't want to lose their luxury for the sake of living a lifestyle more in suit with the way nature works (environmentalism). They will lose more than their luxury maintaining that level of blind ignorance. It even shows physically in the West how selfish and greedy we are. We even abuse our own bodies. Look how obese we have become! When I go o the supermarket I see all the huge amounts of junk people buy. They have all become so overweight. To see a thin person now is getting honestly quite rare. Twenty years ago people were not like this in my locality. They look awful now and they act as awful with horrible manners and no care for anything but themselves.

Bugs are only the beginning of what is going to be "bugging" us.

Quite simply we reap what we sow. We have sown abuse, destruction, lack of care on the earth, the animals and other humans. Sure we shall reap what we sow. I wrote the other day that this is a fact, not just some hocus pocus religious nonsense. It is real and it applies.

The next few hundred years are going to be very difficult for us. It will be a case of us having to constantly adapt to nature's punishments. it is not going to be very nice for any of us, rich or poor. Look already how people are turning against all the celebs that used to get away with flaunting themselves. Nobody wants to know any more. They can't make money out of celebrity like they used to. Who now, with their hard lives, wants all that shoved in their faces? Certainly, I do not. It is bad feeling all round now and I think that is a precursor of much worse to come. This will only lead to a war like collective mentality then someone will exploit that politically to their own ends if they get the chance.

Just when we think it is peace and safety then sudden destruction.

"Eating up all the flesh from off the earth"

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   

can only do what's in my power, but I'm giving back any way I can.

I think thats very important and can make a differences. I have started doing this too. I think regenerating ecology is very important. I have been learning permaculture techniques, which is in essence permanent culture.

I have learnt what insects are struggling in my area. I have identified plants which they feed on and provided habitats..

If enough people try in different ways we can make a difference and that difference is in my opinion important.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Our entire biosphere is collapsing. The evidence is all around us. Growing dead spots in the ocean, Ocean currents changing, mass extinction, habitat loss, acidification of the oceans etc

There are not too many people on the earth, we have a problem with over consumption and resource allocation, There is enough for everyone is we can work out how to work it differently..

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: Revolution9

Our entire biosphere is collapsing. The evidence is all around us. Growing dead spots in the ocean, Ocean currents changing, mass extinction, habitat loss, acidification of the oceans etc

There are not too many people on the earth, we have a problem with over consumption and resource allocation, There is enough for everyone is we can work out how to work it differently..

It's a nice way to think. However, the deforestation is happening because of overpopulation.

We need the forest to cover much of the earth for it to be healthy. That requires us to leave it well alone and occupy only certain areas. Yes, there is lots of room, but the ocean takes up over two thirds, the trees should take up two thirds of the other third to be a healthy eco system. Perhaps you do not believe me, but I bet if science were to calculate we would need that many trees. That leaves only pockets for humans to cohabit with all the other land species and yet we grow crops and need big spaces. There is always a land issue with nature. Tigers come out of the jungle when it shrinks too much and start eating people. It looks a lot, but it is in fact very little.

We are in trouble. Look what the Independent says:

www.independent.co.uk... 306.html

Four out of six great apes are now critically endangered as 'global extinction crisis' escalates 'To see the eastern gorilla – one of our closest cousins – slide towards extinction is truly distressing'

It's hard to accept and rather worrying especially if we have children. This only matters to intelligent and caring people and they are the ones who see it for what it is. The ignorant don't notice because they can't or are too scared to look beyond their noses. The selfish are out for what they can get. Only the immediate short term matters to politicians.

This competition is gonna get ugly. I was always trying and hoping for things to get better. As I have tried I have been totally destroyed. I am spiritual and I think the earth is actually cursed any way. It requires restoration that humans can't achieve. It's Creator knows what to do with it and will intervene at the time They choose, but I really think They are going to make us learn the hardest lesson of all this time and it is going to hurt for a long time, too.

After what has happened to me and people that mattered to me I have little regard for this shadow world. We have read about gaining the world and losing our souls. It is their playground and their play destroys it violently. They are violent. Their lives are selfish, brutal and violent no matter how rich they are. They prove this point every day by their actions, their denial of self consciousness and conscience because it is not good for business.

All they have is this broken world, a world they broke with their own greed. I don't have this world, but I am trying to gain another world. There is nothing more I can do in my silly short life. I have been far too bullied and abandoned. Yet didn't they do that to Christ? Didn't they kill Him? That is what the world did to my Hero so it is sure to do the same to me.

Those vain humans are under the illusion of human omnipotence, but I am not. I know we do everything wrong and nothing right. We have slowly destroyed the world and ourselves. We had it all and blew it like trailer trash winning the lottery (sorry to be blunt, but it's a good simile).

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Same observations in New Jersey. I've seen one bee in my yard in the last 10 years.

Plus, I never remembered chemtrails growing up. I always had my head in the clouds with model airplanes or looking for UFOs. I think whatever they are adding to jet fuel is air polluting. I'm sure the additives somehow save the airlines money but I'm sick of seeing lines across the sky.

edit on 27-11-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Great and important thread!!!

I mentioned 15 or twenty years ago that the last time i saw a cockchafer/May bug alive was when i was a child, in the 1980`s. And that everywhere, every summer, were winged ants to find.

Nowadays you have a lack of every insect here in Germany, maybe except those insects that get on somebodies nerves, like flies and mosquitoes. Ok, mosquitoes are less too, now, but not completely gone. If you are lucky you can spot one or two butterflies per year, one or two bees and/or wasps. I can´t remember me having seen more or any other insects(ah, one or two little spiders i had in my appartment when it got colder here) in the last years.

When i was a child i we were chased by hornets once, guess that was the last time i saw a hornet roaming free here. Grasshoppers, how long didn´t i see a grasshopper anymore. And all these insects are/were food source for other animals, like birds, for example, or bats. What do they eat now, do they buy food in supermarkets, or do they just extinct, too? If i think about this, i feel ashamed to be a human being!

Poor childs of today, never saw animals live that lived here not long ago, some even never saw real snow in their life yet. I remember that we had snow for at least six to eight weeks every winter, now it´s, literally taken, six to eight minutes every winter, if it snows at all.

But hey, we need more monocultures to grow plants like rape, for bio fuel. We need more Glyphosat and other chemical timebombs, for a short time of profits. We need more people cruising around in cruise liners, flying in a planes to visit the next city(looking at germany, here you can reach every effing city almost by foot), riding SUV´s in cities. We need more wars, predatory exploitation, more nuclear waste, because we, mankind, are:

The cream of the crop...

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Ya'll, the sky isn't falling. You've all read too many "scientific" articles to scare you to death. There are certain to be areas of changes as the world changes. You are probably friends with our fellow Vice President Al Gore.. We now know the "scientists" have lied and written many false academic papers. The MSM love to exacerbate the issue.

Try to update the many articles you postulate as evidence. I don't see the problem as many here have stated emphatically-we see it and live it every day.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Ya'll, the sky isn't falling. You've all read too many "scientific" articles to scare you to death. There are certain to be areas of changes as the world changes. You are probably friends with our fellow Vice President Al Gore.. We now know the "scientists" have lied and written many false academic papers. The MSM love to exacerbate the issue.

Try to update the many articles you postulate as evidence. I don't see the problem as many here have stated emphatically-we see it and live it every day.

My own observation over the last decades, same as OP´s, were from articles or Al Gore´s propaganda???
Hell yeah, i forgot, the earth is flat, 6000 years old and "The Lord"(TM) is the saviour, after Trump...

With such narrow-minded and blind people living on it, the earth is hopelessly doomed!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join