It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conyers steps aside from Judiciary post amid sex allegations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
U.S. Congressman John Conyers is stepping away from his seat on the House Judiciary Committee.

This announcement comes in the middle of his scandal(s) involving sexual harassment.

He's been in Congress for many years and apparently "settled" some kind of case a while back.

Lots of problems with politicians lately.

Conyers steps aside from Judiciary post amid sex allegations

Michigan Rep. John Conyers, under investigation over allegations he sexually harassed female staff members, said Sunday he will step aside as the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee while fiercely denying he acted inappropriately during his long tenure in Congress.

In a statement, the 88-year-old lawmaker made clear he would prefer to keep his leadership role on the committee, which has wide jurisdiction over U.S. law enforcement, from civil rights and impeachment of federal officials to sexual harassment protections.

But Conyers acknowledged maintaining the post would be a distraction “in light of the attention drawn by recent allegations made against me.”

“I have come to believe that my presence as ranking member on the committee would not serve these efforts while the Ethics Committee investigation is pending,” he said. “I cannot in good conscience allow these charges to undermine my colleagues in the Democratic Caucus, and my friends on both sides of the aisle in the Judiciary Committee and the House of Representatives.”

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Why step aside so quickly if you're innocent?

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Because he isn't.

Lots of political sex scandals lately

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: gdkknxnqkc

Because he isn't.

Have you seen recent videos of John Conyers? The old dude can hardly stand up, let alone do the nasty.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Good. He needed to step aside, in fact he needs to pack up his desk and go home. There is no way out of this John.
You paid a settlement with tax payers money. You should pay that money back and go home.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Charges aside, WTF is this guy still doing in Congress????

I swear the guy behind Conyers was pulling strings to make the old man talk.
He read every word from a script somebody else probably wrote, that was nothing but progressive talking points.

#TERMLIMITS

edit on 11 26 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll Well by that logic then Trump may have some explaining to do. Honestly John should be tried amd serve his days locked up.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: angeldoll Well by that logic then Trump may have some explaining to do. Honestly John should be tried amd serve his days locked up.

Trump has a lot more than explaining to do. We will be calling for a full investigation into the sixteen sexual misconduct allegations that have been made against him.

Have a nice day.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Trump has a lot more than explaining to do. We will be calling for a full investigation into the sixteen sexual misconduct allegations that have been made against him.

Have a nice day.

Key word is "allegations"!!

Speaking of allegations, remember the time you slipped a roofie in my drink and did terrible things to my body????

Guilty until proven innocent isn't nor should it be a standard in our judicial system!

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll Well by that logic then Trump may have some explaining to do. Honestly John should be tried amd serve his days lo

Who is "WE"?

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

This better not stop the investigations.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Have a nice day.

Really? When? Those allegations have been around since long before the “coronation that never was” in November 2016...

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: gdkknxnqkc

Because he isn't.

Have you seen recent videos of John Conyers? The old dude can hardly stand up, let alone do the nasty.

Yep...another billboard for TERM LIMITS!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust Well clearly "we" means the Russians. But really though I think they meant all those that despise Trump. Btw I am one of them. But he is my POTUS so until such a time I will follow my country to the dirt

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

To avoid problems. Personally I believe the women.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: gdkknxnqkc

Sex scandals yes. Political no. Has nothing to do with politics.
Or it shouldnt.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Seems to me the moment he used tax payer money (any of them that have) to pay off the settlement, he made it a political problem.
edit on 26-11-2017 by Irishhaf because: forgot words... words are hard

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Still waiting for trump to own up. No I won't hold my breath.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: gdkknxnqkc

Sex scandals yes. Political no. Has nothing to do with politics.
Or it shouldnt.

So you're perfectly fine with your money paying off sexual allegations without your knowledge?

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Now he's denying its him on the Access Hollywood tape.
Setting up a real defense against them already. Then he'll say...there's no proof, no evidence, like sexual predators are not very good at making sure there's no evidence or proof and when there is deny deny deny until...just like last year...let the issue expire...people just move on and don't do a thing... Forget about it ...
I don't hold out much hope for any kind of change in the power hold of men over women in the work place or anywhere else. This fervour will peter out and in the end the behaviour will continue and people who know about it will keep quiet so as not to make waves and they'll say things like boys will be boys and it's locker room talk or hey he's an alpha male. And pat each other on the back. And women will still be victimized.
Sigh...
edit on 11262017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join