It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Sex Ban On U.N. Peacekeepers In Congo Update:UN soldiers arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
After claims of abuse of women and children, the United nations has instituted a ban on its peacekeepers having sex with locals in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The directive also includes a call for an extra 100 military police and investigators to get to the bottom of the abuse.

Update:UN soldiers arrested in DR Congo

Six Moroccan soldiers serving as UN peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo have been arrested over sex abuse claims, Moroccan officials say.

The head of the Moroccan contingent of UN peacekeepers and his deputy have also been relieved of their duties
UN soldiers arrested in DR Congo

news.bbc.co.uk
UN peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo have been banned from having sex with locals after claims of widespread abuse of women and girls.

The new rules were disclosed in a letter from UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to the Security Council.

Mr Annan also called for 100 extra military police and French-speaking investigators to "root out" the abuse.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to reports, the peacekeepers gave food or money in return for sexual favors. You have to wonder if a small population bloom occurs everywhere the U.N. is present? To date they have investigated over 150 charges of gang rape and other activities against over 50 soldiers based in one town alone. Are they supposed to help bring the peace or increase the overall level of terror?

[edit on 2/13/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I watched that on tv lastnight thought it was disgusting, there raping kids as young as 11 yrs old because the chances of them having aids is slim. The UN is suppose to be there to help and protect these people not create terror for them.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
That is so sad FredT when this soldiers take advantage of the people in the region they are supposed to help.

I wonder if they were careful enough to make sure that they did not spread HIV.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hobby
I watched that on tv lastnight thought it was disgusting, there raping kids as young as 11 yrs old because the chances of them having aids is slim. The UN is suppose to be there to help and protect these people not create terror for them.

Hobby, do you have link or online source for that? Id love to post it up in the article?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Here is a link.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is as horrific as it gets. So much for protecting the people.

Children as young as 12 or 13 were bribed with eggs, milk or a few dollars in exchange for sex, U.N. reports said.
Children Bribed For Sex

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This is outrageous, that they claim that is a difference of what they consider rape or willing sex.

This people should be punished for this horrible actions against children that their only crime is to be hungry.

Is not excused.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I personally believe that this is but the tip of the iceburg when it comes to the defunct United Nations. Remember that these UN sex scandal reports are not restricted to just the Congo.

As to this topic, I found the 20/20 ABC program link":
U.N. Sex Crimes in Congo
And a L.A. Times report on this, which is pretty damning and raises more questions:
Explicit Photos Fan U.N. Sex Scandal

I may be wrong on this, will need to research it, but from what I have been told, the U.N. troops may be exempt from persecution under Congo laws and regulations. My understanding is that their possible exemption may work like diplomats having 'diplomatic immunity'. Will check into for possible verifible sources on this matter.

But again, all this is happening under Kofi's watch.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
My understanding is that their possible exemption may work like diplomats having 'diplomatic immunity'. Will check into for possible verifible sources on this matter.

I will try to do some digging as well, but I do not think peacekeepers were immune from the laws of thier own countries at the least. I recall that the U.S. was reluctant to participate in International tribunals for fear of our own troops being charged with war crimes etc.

At anyrate as you said this has occured under Kofi's watch and we shall just have to add it the list I guess.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I personally believe that this is but the tip of the iceburg when it comes to the defunct United Nations. Remember that these UN sex scandal reports are not restricted to just the Congo.

I'm curious Seeker, what do you propose take the place of the United Nations? I just want to know because conservatives seem to have such a hard-on when it comes to taking down the UN....what do they want to happen when it goes bye-bye?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Not sure, Flinx.

The United Nations is not going anywhere.
But....
Its blatantly obvious that there needs to be a degree of significant reform within the United Nations. The U.N. is losing what credibility and validity it once had and has quickly with each passing report on its activities. This may be simply my perspective or a U.S. 'only' perspective, or the world is starting to recognize this.

Those hardline conservatives that you refer to are calling for everything from the need for the U.S. to pull out/withdraw from the U.N. to having Annan ousted, along with IAEA changes, etc. I'm sure that there is an underline agenda at play, but with such reports about the U.N. and its activities abroad, they will do little to quiet those hardline conservative calls. I think what is being missed here is that now, those calls are also slowly but surely coming from the left, as well. Example would be the L.A. Times, notorious for supporting the views of the left.

As with past subjects of accountablility, as to the Bush administration's accounting for 9/11, Abu-Ghraib, etc, etc., there also needs to be accountability within the U.N. over the growing sex-scandal situations, the Oil-for-Food program, and other issues.

Because I say or refer to the U.N. as being 'defunct' does not necessarily mean that I advocate the U.S. withdrawing from the U.N., nor do I advocate the dismantling of the U.N., but I do advocate serious reform and accountability.

seekerof

[edit on 12-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Because I say or refer to the U.N. as being 'defunct' does not necessarily mean that I advocate the U.S. withdrawing from the U.N., nor do I advocate the dismantling of the U.N., but I do advocate serious reform and accountability.

Well, I have to say that I agree with you there. As much as I think the UN is a neccesary organization, it's clear that these recent scandals are weakening it. Something has to be done, what that is I don't know. But definately not the dismantling of the whole organization.

The longer these scandals go on, the more ammo it provides to those who want to do away with the UN and any kind of multi-national cooperation. As much as I would hate it, maybe Mr. Annan has to go. Too bad because I really liked the guy.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
[ As much as I think the UN is a neccesary organization, it's clear that these recent scandals are weakening it. Something has to be done, what that is I don't know. But definately not the dismantling of the whole organization.

The longer these scandals go on, the more ammo it provides to those who want to do away with the UN and any kind of multi-national cooperation. As much as I would hate it, maybe Mr. Annan has to go. Too bad because I really liked the guy.

IMO - ordinary people need a venue for multi-national cooperation, else our international laws will be there solely to protect corporate rights, not human rights. ....Sounds like these problems are endemic though, and may require something more than a simple change of leadership.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Six Moroccan soldiers serving as UN peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo have been arrested over sex abuse claims, Moroccan officials say.

The head of the Moroccan contingent of UN peacekeepers and his deputy have also been relieved of their duties

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The women there probably don't bath or shave their underarms and legs. lets not even go to that bikini area. Combined with poor hygene and B.O. how would you expect french men to act. It must smell like paris there.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Blanket insults are not acceptable here on ATS, and if you read the update, the troops thus far charged are from Morocco.

new topics

top topics

join