It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: CNNs Chief News Exec Resigns Amid Furor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The chief news executive for CNN has resigned over comments he made accusing the U.S. military of targeting journalists. Eason Jordan had made these comment while speaking at the Davos World Economic Forum. Despite his backing off of the comments and the issuing of an apology, controversy over the comments have lingered.

www.foxnews.com
NEW YORK — Worried that CNN would be "unfairly tarnished" over remarks he made about journalists killed by the U.S. military in Iraq, one of CNN's most visible executives chose to quit.

With the resignation of chief news executive Eason Jordan, CNN hopes to end a distracting controversy that had threatened to rival the Internet campaign last fall against Dan Rather for a CBS story about President Bush's military service.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the second high level person to fall victim to the blogging legions that have sprung up Rather being the first. No doubt the aggressive campaign that had begun worried CNN and this is an effort to take the wind out of thier sails. It also highlights the fundamental power of the Internet and its ability to influence event in our day to day lives

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Odd that these remarks which were not broadcast over free public television and instead a gathering in which transcripts of what was actually said can't even be handed out would make somebody resign. This an extremely sad climate of reputational fear that the media is now under. Words uttered even outside the range of a camera or microphone apparently now can kill a career.

Not that I'm a fan of the media which I think is highly complicit in government crimes.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Humm............kind of funny how was kept in the dark until now, I had not clue until this thread that something was going on.

It's been so reporters death in Iraq but nobody accused the military for killing them, that any of us knows about it.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This means the US military is allowed to kill anyone and no one can even talk about it? Wrecklessly causing murder and mayhem and no one can call them to task?

Police State here we come.

When the media begins to suck up to the Military this way how far from pure propagandists are they?

They don't have cajones to show the actual blood and gore of the War. They aren't allowed to show the flag draped coffins of service persons. Adult Americans should see just exactly what our tax dollars are buying over there. If people want to be sheltered like children that is their business, Im an adult and want the full complete story.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Slank, you speak as if there was evidence that the military was targeting reporters. If they wanted to quiet the press why do the embedd reporters? Im sorry, and I do not want to sound callous to the dead, but they were in a war zone.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Excuse me FredT,

He may have meant targeted them with missiles, not knowing they were reporters. If you blindly support the Adminstration and US military without examining the facts you become another patsy.

Any hint of questioning the military results in the end of careers. America is in a VERY sad state.

When all the reporters who tell the truth and ask the tough questions are gone all that is left is propagandists.

BTW This war zone is for totally unnecessary war That the US administration had to lie to persuade the American People and Congress to support.

Lied about aluminum tubes.
No WMDs.
No Terrorist camps or training grounds.
No link to 911.

Now you want to blame these Reporters for this?

When you get run over by a Bus i will blame you and not the Bus driver without even examining the facts.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Slank,

He came out and said that the US military was targeting reporters specifically. Also of note the CNN tape of his "talk" is missing. Call me a patsy if you want, but the media has gotten sloppy and to used to hide behind the first ammendment when they make mistakes.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Slank,

He came out and said that the US military was targeting reporters specifically. Also of note the CNN tape of his "talk" is missing. Call me a patsy if you want, but the media has gotten sloppy and to used to hide behind the first ammendment when they make mistakes.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
FredT,

Where is a credible source that says he said "The US military was intentionally targeting reporters"?

Put up or shut up.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Here you go, this is a credible source it is a report from Free Speech TV reported by award winning journalist Amy Goodman and if you go to the link you will find an interview with one of the victim's family. Democracy Now is a news show that gives reports on the world unlike anything you will find on the other mainstream news shows. and after watching it you will find yourself seeing how censored how other news really seems to be. I would reccomend it to anyone. The one hour news show Democracy Now is seen on Free Speech Tv and the Link channel, also there is at the website
Listen to Segment || Download Show mp3
Watch 128k stream Watch 256k stream Read Transcript
Help Printer-friendly version Email to a friend Purchase Video/CD

www.democracynow.org.../11/23/1457213&mode=thread&tid=25
April 8th of 2003 will be remembered as a bloody day for journalists in Iraq. On the same day, American troops fired a rocket on the bureau of Arab news service Al Jazeera, killing correspondent Tareq Ayyoub. Then the staff of another Arab station, Abu Dhabi TV, was attacked in their offices by American artillery. And finally a tank fired on the Palestine Hotel, where most of the unembedded reporters were staying. This last attack killed two people, Reuters photographer Taras Protsyuk, from the Ukraine, and Jose Couso, cameraman for the Spanish television station Telecinco who had been filming the tank from the hotel balcony all morning. Couso initially survived the attack and told his colleague that the Americans had seen him, and that he felt they had fired deliberately. He later died in the hospital.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Where you been slank?
Duh!?
Here is a source for you:
EasonGate

Maybe this?
Eason Jordon

How about this?
A CNN Executive Says G.I.s in Iraq Target Journalists

Maybe this ATS topic thread?
Two Recent MSM Incidents

seekerof

[edit on 13-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Is it possible he is telling the truth? That the US military is targeting independent reporters?

They lied about aluminum tubes to get us into this pointless war, why is it such a stretch that they are now lying about this? The US government is the one with the credibility gap here. Certainly the military and Administration have their agenda to promote, that Iraq is a beacon of democracy and everyone is happy, peaceful, employed and thrilled the US military invaded Iraq.

The US military could probably say just about anything and some people would believe them. Torturing prisoners [most of whom are innocent civilians] in Abu Graib certainly is a story they didn't want out. They are afraid to show the flag draped coffins of soldiers.

The Rocket Attack on Al Jeezera because of some sporatic gunfire sounded a little suspect to me. The further Firing of Artillery on Abu Dhabi TV makes one wonder. All they have to do is say some gunfire was coming from a place and the flag wavers think it is ok to hit ANYTHING with a slege hammer.

The media sometimes pumps up a story where there is none. The US government often tries to bury it when there is a story.

I think blind and ignorant patriotism lead to a dead end.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Where is a credible source that says he said "The US military was intentionally targeting reporters"?
Put up or shut up.

Ohhh more rhetoric:

TextDuring a panel discussion at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland last month, Jordan said that he believed several journalists who were killed by coalition forces had been targeted.

Funny you mention this as the CNN tape is missing, but from the same article I posted the story from. You may not like foxes spin, but they are a credibale news source. As well as the link posted above.

Blind patriotism may very well be a dead end, but so is this endless strawman argument that you keep trying to engage in with your aluminum tube rhetoric.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
FredT,

I traced the links. It appears that he did [and in the past] has said such things.

I still have zero faith in the American Government and military to tell the truth. They are as likely to put a spin on it as a media reporter is.

Like that poor kid/soldier who got caught on film offing that wounded Iraqi in Fallujah. I don't really blame him, tired, under pressure the iraqi was like as not an enemy. But don't you see how easy it would be [is] to make up any kind of story in a war zone? The military can say anything. Anyone who disagrees ends up with a bullet in the head and a tag that says 'the enemy' or oops another 'friendly fire' accident.

Since the government lied to get the public to support this 300 Billion dollar waste of money, they have to make it look like everything is all hunky-dory. The question is does that put someone saying something else on their Sh*t list or Hit list?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
April 8th of 2003 will be remembered as a bloody day for journalists in Iraq. On the same day, American troops fired a rocket on the bureau of Arab news service Al Jazeera, killing correspondent Tareq Ayyoub.

Am I on ignore or something? This is on my post on this thread, it talks about journalists in that hotel that was fired upon, the same hotel American journalists were staying at the time.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Eason Jordan was obviously lying and playing up to the anti-Americans in the audience. An American reporter immediately called him on his allegations and asked him to provide proof; Jordan danced around and evaded the question.

David Gergen, the moderator, was "startled" by Jordan's remarks.

Barney Frank, anti-war US Rep. from Mass., was present and told Jordan that if he would supply proof, Frank would launch a congressional investigation. Jordan danced around that also, saying his words were taken out of context.

IMO, I'm glad he was fired. Comments like this can have far reaching and dangerous ramifications if these attention seekers are not made to back up their statements IMMEDIATELY, before any damage is done.

I believe CNN is liberal in their reporting, but I applaud them for firing this man.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Well I guess am being totally ignored!!

top topics

join