It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

He thought he saw a deer and fired his pistol. Now his neighbor is dead.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
a reply to: seattlerat

First off...I think the basic rule of hunting is..."know exactly what you are shooting at."

Thats the base rule for everything where a gun is involved not just hunting. I don't really believe the guy shooting should of had that fire arm in the first place as his lack of responsibility towards them are showing.

The only reason he likely wont face murder charges is because he went to render aid to the person, but who knows?

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A paramedic should be able to confirm her location where treated/found.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

That's what I'm thinking. And that he was a LOT closer than he said he was - not close enough for powder burns of course, but close enough to hit her with a black powder pistol - then run like hell.

So why didn't he use a rifle? Hey - it would be nearly impossible for this guy to hit her with a black powder pistol at 200 yards. He would use that very excuse to back up the killing being 'accidental'.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Black powder pistol?
Was that in the police report or did you get it from some other source?

edit on 11/26/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Mr. Billquist said he kept calling his wife’s phone until Mr. Jadlowski answered it and told him where to meet him. When Mr. Billquist found his wife less than 100 yards from the back of their house, she was unresponsive, he said.

www.nytimes.com...

Thomas B. Jadlowski, believed he saw a deer in a field and fired a single-shot pistol.

She was less than 100 yards from her house.

This man's story about being at his house doen't sound right from what I have found.
edit on 11/26/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
The only way I can imagine somebody even attempting a shot at that distance with a pistol is if said pistol was actually a Rifle. If there is no stock and the barrel is short enough, the SBR becomes a technical pistol, but still has significant more range due to the rounds used compared to standard pistol cartridges.

I don't know if that has been disclosed in the investigation yet or discussed on the thread, but it would be interesting to know if this was the case. Also, deer can be pests if they like what your growing on your land. If that vegetation/agriculture generates income, than I would say shooting the dear had there been oneis justified, especially if it were in fact the case of the technical pistol being a short barrel rifle.

Has it been determined if the pistol was an SBR w/out stock ??

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Deer are pests? With all due respect, Humans are the pests. We leave our trash and homes accessible to rodents, then call the exterminator to get rid of creatures trying to survive. We build homes next to (or on top of) wildlife ranges, fail to build proper fencing and then SHOOT A DEER FOR TRYING TO FIND A SNACK? Modern humans believe we are special, but we should be SHARING this planet with the animals that were here before us (and will probably re-inherit it after we destroy ourselves if we leave anything left of it for them).

I can't think of any valid excuse for toting a loaded pistol on your property unless you have had some previous problems that included SEVERE threat to your life. You can always grow more plants or get new stuff- a harmless deer munching on a plant doesn't justify killing it.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
Deer are pests?

They are in many places because we have chased off or exterminated all of their natural predators such as coyotes, wolves and big cats.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Deer are pests?

They certainly can be.

With all due respect, Humans are the pests.

No argument there.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I haven't checked NY game laws but I doubt deer can be shot as pests damaging crops.

I wonder if he had permission to hunt on someone's property. Otherwise it kinda looks like he is a poacher wondering around the area. Although I could be wrong about the properties I looked up, and if so, my apologies.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
ok, so your anti-gun and nothing is going to change that view I see. Moving on from the ideological fantasy about living in harmony vs protecting the income of the property owner from pests, was there any mention on the specific firearm used??

FWIW, there should be no questioning a citizen's right to carry loaded firearms on their property, PERIOD. He would have had every right to drive around on a pickup mounted with twin .50's if he so wished and had all the legal paperwork.

As far as deer being pests, I typed the question "are deer pests" into an internet search engine. Ironically, this was the first article I got and it is from 1983!

AP
Published: November 27, 1983

ALTAMONT, N.Y., Nov. 26— There are so many whitetail deer in the Altamont Orchards here that a wildlife official estimated that 90 percent of the trees in a 180-acre plot had been chewed by the animals - even after the farmer shot 40 of them.

The problem at the orchard is increasingly common across New York, according to Nate Tripp, a state wildlife expert. ''Deer have been known to do $10,000-$12,000 worth of damage in one season, to wipe out a whole planting,'' he said.
edit on 11-26-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I haven't checked NY game laws but I doubt deer can be shot as pests damaging crops.

Regardless, it was apparently after sunset, in which case it is illegal to hunt.

The investigation showed that Jadlowski reported the shooting at 5:24 p.m., which was 40 minutes after sunset. It is a violation of state hunting laws to hunt deer after sunset, sheriff's officials said.
Link

This (heavy) has another picture of the property. It's entirely probable he could be 200 yards away from her and her also be 100 yards from her house.

As we've established, guy is an idiot, regardless, for firing near a house other than his own after dark with failure to positively identity his target.

It does appear to be an accident.

In addition:

Jamie Billquist said that his wife was on the property of their next-door neighbor when she was shot. He said that Jadlowski didn't have permission to be hunting on the neighbor's property.

edit on 26-11-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If those are the actual houses involved, It doesn't look like much more than 100 yards is possible. But of course I could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Your assumption that I am anti-gun is incorrect and I said nothing about his RIGHT to carry- what is the point of having a loaded pistol with you unless you think it is cool or NEED protection?. I am anti-idiots with guns. If you are concerned with protecting your property from deer, I suggest investing in a fence, or perhaps some dogs to chase them away.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I said nothing about his RIGHT to carry-what is the point of having a loaded pistol with you unless you think it is cool or NEED protection?

Because...the right to carry on one's own property if one so wishes is all that matters, whether it makes one look cool, one is scared, or one wants to scare away deer.

If you are concerned with protecting your property from deer, I suggest investing in a fence,

Or a wall, to keep those illegal deer from crossing over and invading your land.

Fences and dogs are considerably more expensive than firearms, and dogs don't always do the job.

edit on 26-11-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
If those are the actual houses involved, It doesn't look like much more than 100 yards is possible. But of course I could be wrong.

Yeah, I don't know. The distance looks accurate, but I do not know whose house is whose, or where each person was in relation to the incident.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
definitely a idiot. 200 yards is pretty far away especially if it was a hand gun.. i would never even bother to try and hit something 200 yards away with my hand gun and if there are people living in the area and your taking out your gun and shooting at things.. you are a major idiot, if you are not sure what it is that you are shooting at you are also a idiot, this guy should probably go to jail..

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I think 200yrds with a black powder pistol is extremely unlikely..supposedly the round went straight through her.
200 yard handgun..I'm thinking something like a Remington XP100.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

200 yard handgun..I'm thinking something like a Remington XP100.

Sheriff's office said single-shot, high-powered pistol, so perhaps. No other details, yet.

Black powder is unlikely, but it is single shot.

supposedly the round went straight through her.

In through hip, out through back, reportedly.

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: silo13

Black powder pistol?
Was that in the police report or did you get it from some other source?

From the original article I read - not sure if it's the same one in the OP.
Said he had a muzzle loader tag (which is why he shot) - but then they called it a pistol, so I'm thinking black powder, same thing just a small distinction, at least where I came from.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join