It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Soldiers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Some soldiers with more than one child in their family are forced to go on Food Stamps to make ends meet. This is common knowledge in the working classes. The fact however, has escaped the notice of the more privileged in our society.

Someone here on ATS asked me for references to support a statement I made in this regard - and I ignored the question. I honestly assumed the Food Stamp Soldiers' plight was common knowledge. I apologise.

Here are a few pithy Food Stamp Soldier quotes for your files.

"Twenty dollars a month is a lot of dough when a young enlisted person has a family barely making it on food stamps."

Medicare set to become political hot potato

"During his first presidential campaign, George Bush told one of his advisers that he'd "never met a poor person and wouldn't know what to say to one." ....A lottery in which 40 soldiers in Iraq become millionaires, thus allowing them to get off food stamps."

Bush puts on $40M party hat

The Food Stamp Soldier story is an old one - and conservatives have a long history of trying to 'debunk' it.

"Last week's Time (still on newsstands) makes the latest attempt to debunk the idea that there are lots of soldiers on food stamps, one of John McCain's - and now Al Gore's - staple complaints. It's just a "cheap applause line," Time's Mark Thompson argues. There are only 6,300 soldiers on stamps, he notes, down from 11,900 in 1995.

But wait a minute: Three paragraphs later Thompson reports that a change ordered by Secretary of Defense William Cohen in the treatment of housing subsidies "could double the number of soldiers on food stamps." Gee, wouldn't that put the figure at 12,600, up from 1995. Thompson's piece debunks itself halfway through."

Food Stamp Soldiers: Time Self-Debunks

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Yes when I was a young military wife back in the early 80s, I was informed of all the help for military families.

I have know in my years as a military wife that it was families of low ranking soldiers that could not feed their families with their basic pay.

Food stamps was one of the programs for soldiers and also, the mother to be programs for food supplementation.

Also the Officer's wife had their own programs for expectant mothers and they will make baskets and monetary donations.

Yes we knew that even in the military we had what we call families in need.

Also we have the navy relief society, my husband had a set donation monthly for them from his check.

And also the red cross during the first gulf war had programs for military families.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I married and had twins as a LCPL in the USMC(E3 for you other branches). It was pretty difficult. I never used food stamps but we were on WIC. WIC helped to get peanut butter, milk and other goods, in case any of you don't know about it. Other than that, it was a sort of carefree life. With base housing and a job that doesn't just lay people off, you know that you will have a place to live and food to eat. Of course you won't be wealthy, but I have been in worse situations. The times that were hard in the military are the times when I was deployed and my pay was cut because they took away the money you get paid for food. I forget what it was called, but when you're in the desert for 3 to 5 months and your family is cutting costs back home, it's quite a strain on a young struggling family. And when you beg to go back home because your family is having problems, they call you a whiner.

So, I guess it is somewhat comfortable but full of struggles. But such is life.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
My husband is a retired Marine, thanks for sharing your personal experiences with us, steggyD.

Yes the meals are called COLA, I remember the separation problems with pay checks

I went through a few headaches, but like I used to tell my husband, at least is a secure paycheck two times a month, until your finish your duty or retired and then you get only one a months pension checks.

Yes I remember struggling families back in the days, when I was more of a mature Marine wife, I used to help many young families get help when in need, specially lonely wifes with husbands oversea and not clue what to do, or what kind of help they were entitle I had a few that actually cried on my shoulder.

But that is what a military community is all about to help each other when our husbands are on duty away from from family.

My husband used to said that it makes the duty a littler bit harder not knowing if the family is well taken care off back at the duty station.

new topics

top topics

join