It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you work a lot of OT?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   
do you think it sucks? is it forced? do you volunteer?

i usually do not work much OT. every now and then i get 2-3 hours but it is not common. when it comes down though it comes down hard.
i wok 1st shift but next 2 weeks i have to work 6pm-6am. mandatory and it sucks but at the same time its coming at a great time.
we have been having a problem at work with a certain alloy so they want me to work nights for the next 2 weeks while we run this so i can shoot chemistry in real time.
the worst part is for this project there will be boredom.
if everything is running great i will have about 2 minutes worth of work every 20 minutes.

makes for along night.

like i said coming at a great time though.
my next 2 checks will have 20 hours OT.

i bitch a lot about work but even though i need(or at the very least could use) the money if they would have asked i would have said no.

rambling again.
do you work a lot of OT?
do you like to?
some people love to crush the OT

i have been puching had to go on 9's every day. 10's at most but if i could do 9's every day and score 5 hours of OT every check the kid here would be doing ok.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I work as little as possible.

I've never been one for overtime. Even when it was paid at £time x 2. However now I am on a salary there is no financial gain.

I do however do extra hours if my role demands, however this is out of loyalty to the three owners of the six companies I work for. They are good men, therefore I am committed to making them money. In turn they are committed to giving me money and free time.

It's remarkable really, the common idea is to work people to the bone and pay peanuts in order to maximise your margins. It's counter-productive. These guys I work for pay well, take the employees out on all expenses paid nights out, give you time off whenever you need it - In turn we work hard for them, their margins are massive.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

It's remarkable really, the common idea is to work people to the bone and pay peanuts in order to maximise your margins. It's counter-productive. These guys I work for pay well, take the employees out on all expenses paid nights out, give you time off whenever you need it - In turn we work hard for them, their margins are massive.

it is.
after a point it is counter productive cause people get burned out
the operators have been on 12's for 2 years

sometimes those 12's are at 7 days a week and they will do 15 days straight.
morale goes down and everyone has the # this company attitude.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I don't get paid OT but I do work it out of necessity. Only about 5 - 10 hours per week though and it doesn't bother me too much. I only work Monday - Thursday (4 X10s plus 1 or 2 extra hours non paid OT) so I tell myself that it's only 4 days out of the 7 days in the week that I'm dead dog tired when I get home, considering my commute take 45 minutes each way. I refuse to work Friday - Sunday though. I do have a life even if only on those days. lol

edit on 24/11/2017 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I aim for 30h a week, I'm generally broke, but I really don't care.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to: TinySickTears

This coming week I will get up a 330 am and get home at 330 pm. When overtime comes it is mandatory for me not everyone. I relax when I get the time. As I get older I find I could live without it. But it is what it is. I try to make the best of it.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I will only work OT if it's on my scheduled run at the mine.
I work mon - thurs every week. The mine site is around 2 hours out of town. During my 4 days on, I stay at the mine. We all have rooms in bunkhouses. Kitchen with cooks 24/7, gym, arcade, telephone and tv, shower and sink in my room.
So it's like being at a catered hotel when you shift that day is over.
If it's needed that I work late during when I'm already there, then I will.
But I never drive up to do a shift, during my time off.

I'm salaried but if I work over 12 hours that day I still get OT at time and a half.

edit on 24-11-2017 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I do HVAC in Las Vegas, OT is an unwritten mandatory during summertime, and lots of it. It sucks, 16+ hour days 5-6 days a week, sometimes 7 days.

However....

At this time of year, I am just taking days off because I don't feel like working, all that overtime pays off. 3 months of bust-ass work allows me 9 months of casually working or not working. I kinda like it this way.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
do you think it sucks? is it forced? do you volunteer?

i usually do not work much OT. every now and then i get 2-3 hours but it is not common. when it comes down though it comes down hard.
i wok 1st shift but next 2 weeks i have to work 6pm-6am. mandatory and it sucks but at the same time its coming at a great time.
we have been having a problem at work with a certain alloy so they want me to work nights for the next 2 weeks while we run this so i can shoot chemistry in real time.
the worst part is for this project there will be boredom.
if everything is running great i will have about 2 minutes worth of work every 20 minutes.

makes for along night.

like i said coming at a great time though.
my next 2 checks will have 20 hours OT.

i bitch a lot about work but even though i need(or at the very least could use) the money if they would have asked i would have said no.

rambling again.
do you work a lot of OT?
do you like to?
some people love to crush the OT

i have been puching had to go on 9's every day. 10's at most but if i could do 9's every day and score 5 hours of OT every check the kid here would be doing ok.

The shop I work at is really big on the overtime. Each day is different. It depends on the amount of work we have that day. If we don't finish everything thay needs to be inatalled the next day we have to finish it. I used to work a lot of overtime running machines until I figured out how to make a set of tools run on automatic. No one had figured it out in the 7 years before I started working there. I work less overtime after work now but srill have to come in 6 days sometimes.

I kind of miss the overime in some ways but I get paid enough an hour now that my 85 hour cheques are the same as my 95-100 hour cheques used to be. I do kind of miss it now though at this point if I work too much overtime I end up making less money because it pushes me into a higher tax bracket and they take more off.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I'm salaried, but I do work a lot. Going in this morning to do end-of-month paperwork and payroll for my underlings that think they need to get paid for the joy of working under such a benevolent person like me.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I never got paid for overtime as ive always had corporate jobs. I worked at a management consulting firm out of college. It was pretty much expected you'd work like 60 hours a week. Every now and then it would push 80 or 90. A 40 hr work week was pretty light. Granted the salaries were high but the lifestyle was brutal.

Wall Street Mergers and Acquisitions is the worse. 100 hour weeks are normal for junior bankers.

In my job now i rarely work overtime and the hours are actually pretty light most of the time. I have a lot of flexibulty but it is hard to takw time off. I frequenrly get vacations interrupted or have to work after hours.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I work overtime when I have to, which is a lot, but I don't get paid extra for it. Just a function of unscheduled customers showing up 10 minutes to closing time for a 3 hour process.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

do you work a lot of OT?

Yes.

6-8 hours OT per day of work, but it's a contracted daily rate (up to 15.9 hours per day).

Required.

is it forced? do you volunteer?

Required.
edit on 24-11-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'm Lucky, I can work at home, in the production office downtown, on the sound stage, in the trailer on location, actually anywhere there's a wifi connection. 16/18 hr. days are common. Payment depends on the type of production, could be, hourly, salary or by contract.

Union proud, Union Strong....
edit on 24-11-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Used to do 40 hrs Sunday to Tues.. 16+16+8...then take another 40+ thru midnight on Fri=80 hrs, or equaling 100 straight. Also every holiday at dbl or triple...and most times? Those holidays were dbl time of me already on time n 1/2 o. t.

Did that for 7.5 years straight. Wife made me promise to never, ever do that again. I refuse all offered o. t. now unless employer is strapped and begging.

The years of lost family time isn't worth it...

PS...To add: Yes... It was A. F. S. C. M. E union pay too
edit on 24-11-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I average 65 hours a week. I'm over 1000 hours of OT this year.

Only time I see a 40 hour week paycheck is when I'm on paid vacation.

It is expected of my job.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I work 8:30am to 4:30pm days maximum.
I have worked a 5 day week twice this year, this week I did 2 and a half days. This is all by choice as I'm self employed, I could be rich if over the last decade or so I'd done 5 or 6 day weeks, but I prefer my leisure time to owning shiny things.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Good thread and flag for you. I worked for the USAF for 23.5 years and your on call 24/7. After forced retirement in 91 I got a job with USPS at North Texas. Overtime was required and there was a lot of it. 2 doctors got me to retire in 2007 because of the the effects of Agent Orange and I got 100 percent VA disability but I would rather work. I'm busier now than I was working but now I can set my own times. My best,

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Most people do not realize this explicitly but they do not have much time to themselves each day. If you sleep 8 hours and work 8, commute 2 hrs, shower and get ready for work or bed 2 hours, there is only 4 hours left in this case.

You do 4 hours overtime and now you have no life.

——-

Yeah it is tough doing a job where there is not a lot to do. It’s better to do a job where you are busy.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm self-employed and work from home, so to me every day involves overtime.

Add to that the fact that my Wife is a teacher, means running 07h00-23h00 Monday-Friday, and Weekends 09h00-18h00 Most of the year for the both of us, what with her:

marking tests;
setting up tests;
marking books;
planning lessons;
setting up exams;
marking exams;
filling out school admin;
parent's evenings;
sports events;
district school meetings;
ad-infinitum et ad-nauseum...

That gives me plenty of time where I have little better to do than work...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join