It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now this: Reclaiming Black Friday

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It seems as many of us loosen our belts after another year's Thanksgiving dinner, some are taking to the streets to "reclaim Black Friday". Using the hashtag #reclaimblackfriday, movement organizers hope to raise money to help African American politicians. As their promotional video says, 90% of American politicians are white.

From the website:

Black Friday has become an embarrassment of consumerism. This year, experts are projecting Americans will spend over $3 billion between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. But imagine what we could accomplish if we all decided to spend just a little less with retailers and gave something to support groups doing some amazing work like The Collective.

Now what arguably will be the most visible part of this campaign, the video urging people to action itself:

Their website concludes with:

While people of color make up almost 40% of the US population, over 90% of our elected officials are white. This year, we are RECLAIMING Black Friday and encouraging everyone to support something that will really make a difference in our lives – building black political power.

That’s right. All across the country, the next Barack Obama, Cory Booker or Maxine Waters is gearing up to run for office in 2018. And we need to have their backs. Step up and join us this Black Friday.

reclaimblackfriday.com

Now, we've seen a lot of political movements get their start using hashtags and YouTube videos. It seems in the internet age a good hashtag and clear political goal can actually makes waves. Maybe with enough celebrity endorsements, this has a shot at getting some actual traction this holiday season?

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Yay, more controversy that will continue to divide people.
Is it not time that we stop caring about black, white, yellow, etc?
Maybe we should be more concerned that all these black friday, boxing days, cyber monday etc are just further putting people in debt and pushing them to consume materials they mostly DO NOT NEED.
You need this new TV, because its 20% off and the one you have at home is paid off already!

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I dont care about ethnopolitics. Id just like to see non-corrupt non-partisan people with smart ideas and a good work ethic run for office more.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yay more identity politics.

Worked so well last time around.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Please please please!
Yes, run Maxine waters for president.
That would be comedy gold.
But if she wins we might as well shoot ourselves..

On that not, I'm heading to the mall in the morning.
edit on 23-11-2017 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: UndeadWarrior

Yay, more controversy that will continue to divide people.
Is it not time that we stop caring about black, white, yellow, etc?
Maybe we should be more concerned that all these black friday, boxing days, cyber monday etc are just further putting people in debt and pushing them to consume materials they mostly DO NOT NEED.
You need this new TV, because its 20% off and the one you have at home is paid off already!

That issue is raised in their video.

People buying things they can't afford, that they don't need, for people they don't like. Instead, they suggest using a fraction of that money to support something they believe matters.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

building black political power.

This is what people are rolling their eyes about, give me a good non-corrupt candidate with good ideas for moving forward the entire country and I will vote for them, skin color, or gender does not matter.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It'll crash and burn. Why now? Why during a time where people abhor all politics?

This wont even get the amount of attention to make it worth it.... Forget about it ever showing up as a TV commercial. That'll be stopped before it's even a thought. Doubt this would even go viral in a small way. Just as many people downvoted this clip as people upvoted. 50% of the voters shot this down from the start.

People should be trying for office based on principles that help the american people, not based on race! Do they think that "people of color" are going to make any difference? Why not ask for all minorities to be voted in instead of just black folk? Is she racist against other minorities?

All I get out of this is... If they're black, vote them in. Doesn't matter about anything else. It's ok if they're crooks... They're black, vote them in.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

If this serves as a positive avenue for some to get their voices heard and raise concerns rather than rioting, destroying, or killing, I am all for it.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

People put way to much concern into the color or gender of the candidates.
How about we find a good president first and not worry about all the other stuff.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hey more power to them.

I think identity politics based on skin color are not only not helpful, but dangerous.

But I don't begrudge black people that want to advocate based on their skin color.

Next up, white folks reclaiming white Christmas.

I am sure that will go over well.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I honestly wouldn't care if the politico was mauve or a flaming hot pink, just as long as She spent $$$ like it was Her own $$$.

How about someone trying to work for ThePeople and not their own greedy wants?

Edit: I also noticed that the tail end of Your video was cut-off or removed?? Anyways the video originally stated to 'wear a silver/gold colored sash or similar' so others participating could identify each other. Why was Your video edited?
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
'tis the season for more identity politics. Ho, ho, ho.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Good lord, is there nothing we can't view through the fairy tale of race?

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Apparently not.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
"Reclaiming" sort of implies it was theirs to begin with.

Or is this just because someone called it Black Friday, so because it has the mere word "Black" in it, it must naturally be theirs? If that's the case, I'll be anxiously awaiting their push to reclaim the Black Death.
edit on 23-11-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I believe there should be a full scale HONEST investigation from the top down and bottom up... Jail the guilty based on their crimes in the order in which the common folk would be punished. We should be able to scrap the whole mess of them at once. If 50% of the nation doesn't like what's happening in government, Tabula Rasa. Every single one of those bastards! THEN have every one investigated by a group put together BY the people and made up OF the people.

I'm all for witch hunts when it comes to government. They should be held to the highest standard without exception. People literally die because of the laws that they make and do not make and laws that they don't follow through with and all the things they ignore for the sake of money.

To be honest, I believe the government should only be in control of the military and not one thing more. Individual states should decide on their own laws and regulations, their own trade and economy and the people's well being. Federal government shouldn't have the ability to have any control over anything but our countries protection via military forces. By protection, I mean defense only. ...and destroy whomever attacks us, of course.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Is it racist to be self centered on issues when it comes to race? .

is it self centered to only care about causes that deal with your own race?

well ofcourse unless those causes makes your own race look bad , such as the epidemic of your own race causing harm on to itself.
edit on 151130America/ChicagoThu, 23 Nov 2017 17:15:17 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Racism definitely exists in country. People just hate people because they are mean jerks.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
AMERICA is MORE important than subjective IDENTITIES much less SKIN.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join