It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey, ATS ... Watcha Havin'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Sorry, son has been on a Phineas and Ferb kick lately, so felt a bit Isabella.

Happy THanksgiving, ATS! Our day is a bit strange. We don't go visit any family today since the family we would visit is out of state. The family we will visit doesn't hold its celebration until this weekend. So ... husband, kiddo, and I are at home and at liberty to make a Thanksgiving dinner that pleases us.

It's still fairly traditional, but we have added and dropped some elements to suit our own tastes.

Anyhow, I thought it might be fun to just share and compare menus and recipes on request. You know, I'll show you mine if you show yours. Silo already got us all started with a pie recipe yesterday.

So without further ado, what you would sit down to at my table this year:

Roasted turkey seasoned with an herb rub, some of the herbs I've been growing on my patio all summer

Garlic and cream cheese mashed potatoes

Turkey dripping gravy

Cornbread stuffing made from cornbread we made last night (has bacon in it)

Roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts with dried cranberries and Dijon vinaigrette

Edamame (microwave frozen bag - kiddo loves them and the other veggie not as much)

French bread rolls (out of the frozen case; my sister is the master bread maker)

and a coconut cream pie with bought (again, we got lazy)
edit on 23-11-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
That sure sounds good.

Classic turkey with gravy here, along with candied sweet potatoes (gotta indulge once in a while), traditional stuffing, regular mashed potatoes with herbs, a home baked apple pie, and a home baked pumpkin pie.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who's partial to edamame. I'm hooked on it.

Happy Thanksgiving!
edit on 11/23/17 by servovenford because: typo

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ours is immediate family also.

I put the ham in the oven at 5 am, with a litre of 7-Up. Slow cook at 200 for 9 hours, dinner is @ 2-ish.

Deviled Eggs

Funeral potatoes.

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Yams cooked with brown sugar

Home-made cole slaw

Corn on the cob

A turkey breast for sandwiches later. We aren't big on turkeys, but we all love turkey sandwiches.

Pumpkin pie and cherry cheese cake.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ha! We're kind of the opposite. Not huge on the ham itself, but love what we can do with it's leftovers. Have an awesome ham and bean soup that needs the meaty hambone and chunks of leftover ham for example ...

Still sounds like a good meal with all the parts that go together.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Turkey Turkey what else??? Lol.

Hotdogs and hamburgers corn on the cob?
We start with appetizers
Smoked fish cheese crackers olives pickles stuff like that. It keeps the monsters quiet waiting for dinner.

Turkey with sausage sage stuffing. I grow my own herbs.
Mashed potatoes with Turkey gravy.
Golden creamed onions.
Fresh picked greenbeans
Sweet potatoes with lemon and honey.
Cranberry sauce. The lumpy kind and the smooth just cuz.
I sometimes make a relish with cranberry and orange but not this year.
Apple pie, chocolate chip cookies nuts and fruit.

You can doze on the loveseat hubby gets the sofa no football.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm eating Thanksgiving with the family of a Japanese girl I know, so I'm sure I probably won't know what most of it is.

Being from the south, I do miss all the soul food on this day. Fried chicken, turkey and dressing, greens, homemade mac and cheese, baked beans, asparagus casserole, and lets not forget the thing we were put on this earth for, gravy. Lots of gravy.

I'm hungry right now.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Same here for us, just my lovely bride and I for Turkey Day this year. No traveling (which thoroughly sucks on Thanksgiving!)

So for dinner we'll be doing a smoked cured turkey. Turkey is getting ready to go on the Traeger now.

Along with it we will have...

- Fresh beets (one of my favorites)
- Regular herbed stuffing (not cornbread) with onion and celery (Yum!!)
- Sweet potatoes mashed (not really one of my favs but the wife loves them so I caved on the regular mashers)
- Fresh snap beans
- Boiled onions (just love these things!) (Everyone thinks it's weird until they try some
- Oh, and cranberry sauce (of course)

And for dessert we will have one of the 4 berry and apple pies we made the other day in culinary school. (which are just off the rails good)

Extra credit - Plus, the soup stock is already on with the back from the turkey. More will be added later.

So, all in all, fairly basic, but not some gargantuan feast which just the two of us wouldn't have a prayer of eating all of it. Enough to have turkey sammiches for a couple days (perhaps the best part anyway!).

edit on 11/23/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Husband spent a good part of his growing up years in Tennessee and that's where family still is for him. So the cornbread is a nod to that for him. It helps that I certainly don't mind it. He and I are far more sharply divided on the grits.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I talked to my sister and this is what's on the menu:

Ham, 2 turkey breasts, green bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, mac and cheese and rolls....banana pudding for dessert.

I'm debating on eating the banana pudding. I like it but bananas give me really bad heartburn for some reason.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

We got a small bird, 6 or 7 pounds.

It will give us food today, and we'll make a big turkey tetrazzini with it to feed us next week, and we'll still have a bit left over for some sandwiches I think.

Then we have the back and carcass for stock. We'll do that at the same time as the tetrazinni.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'm Canadian so our Thanksgiving was last month.

Its a bit cold here so I made a homemade half chicken,half pea soup with some extra vegetables.
YUUMMM!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans.
Applause for anyone with good leftover recipes after Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Thanksgiving is primarily a harvest occasion. That's even what it was here. So it makes sense you guys celebrate it earlier.

Hope yours was still great.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Turkey,
Gravy,
Dressing
Whipped potatoes,
Peas & Carrots in seasoned sauce,
Apple & Cranberry Cake Cobbler.

Mmmmmmmm...Good!

At least, that's what the box says.

Probably wash it all down with a nice 2011 Chateau Margaux

edit on 23-11-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
My 4th beer.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I ate so much afterbirth I could bust.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I ate so much afterbirth I could bust.

Gurge it up for me like I'm a baby bird.

edit on 23-11-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

My 4th beer.

I like your style.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Still at work, totally obsessed with a new project, might make it home later and have cold pizza and a Corona, My GF went to Taos skiing with her friends.
edit on 23-11-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
My wife is working tonight, and I am working today. At home i've been brining 2 turkey breasts for the last 6 days. Tomorrow they will be smoked. Tonight I am smoking 2 slabs of pork belly i've made bacon from over the last 5 days. Im also going to bar-b-que 2 more slabs of pork belly with some of my home made bbq sauce. We'll eat some pork belly burnt ends tonight for supper.

Tomorrow ill do the turkey, some roasted garlic mashed potato, a mexican dressing (cornbread dressing with carmelized onion and poblano pepper and some toasted pepitos), cranberry sauce (i like the crap from a can), and fried corn (again with the carmelized poblano and onion, with sweet corn fried with some of my home made bacon chopped into it). I got some yeast rolls that'll be served with a spread of regular, honey, and roasted garlic butter too.

Applewood for the pork, Pecan wood for the turkey. Gonna be GOOD.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I am having some peace and quiet.

edit on 23-11-2017 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join