It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slave Narratives.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: timequake

Actually, you might want to catch up on the notion of economics and the creation of wealth.

If you could, please elaborate on the specifics of that concept as it directly relates to the topic of slavery; of how an institution--the infrastructure of which largely being obliterated during the post-civil war reconstruction era--made us beneficiaries of slavery .

Sorry, I am not prepared to invest a lot of time in backing up a notion that I see as self-evident, because there are other themes at play in this thread and I recall the adage about teaching a pig to whistle. I will simply stand on what I had to say, that today's America remains the beneficiary of wealth created by a slave economy. If the topic is of interest, it may easily be explored.

Actually, not really much of a benefit. It was cheaper to pay people low wages and then not be responsible for them in old age. Old people who can't work, but still have to eat, be clothed, etc. And the north was more prosperous.

Blacks were about 10% of the population slave population a little less. If you watch the documentaries of African workers in Africa (Hugh Tracy, in black and white), Africans worked slower and sometimes wouldn't even show up (these were paid workers).

Slaves were in the South, a small section compared to the north, and like I said, north was more prosperous.

What you have heard just doesn't make sense.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Merlynn

Actually, you might want to catch up on the notion of economics and the creation of wealth.

If you could, please elaborate on the specifics of that concept as it directly relates to the topic of slavery; of how an institution--the infrastructure of which largely being obliterated during the post-civil war reconstruction era--made us beneficiaries of slavery .

Sorry, I am not prepared to invest a lot of time in backing up a notion that I see as self-evident, because there are other themes at play in this thread and I recall the adage about teaching a pig to whistle. I will simply stand on what I had to say, that today's America remains the beneficiary of wealth created by a slave economy. If the topic is of interest, it may easily be explored.

Actually, not really much of a benefit. It was cheaper to pay people low wages and then not be responsible for them in old age. Old people who can't work, but still have to eat, be clothed, etc. And the north was more prosperous.

Blacks were about 10% of the population slave population a little less. If you watch the documentaries of African workers in Africa (Hugh Tracy, in black and white), Africans worked slower and sometimes wouldn't even show up (these were paid workers).

Slaves were in the South, a small section compared to the north, and like I said, north was more prosperous.

The slave trade was conducted for some 250 years before the Civil War. I leave you to investigate the Atlantic 'triangular trade' to see how folks got rich off the slave trade. Then you can extrapolate the affect upon the creation of wealth which still resonates today.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Merlynn

NO, IT WAS NOT...cheaper...

Slaves were the primary investment of the day.. if you had money, you bought slaves if for no other reason than to resell them..

Why do you think the average male, able bodied slave sold for 1,000$??

That is equivalent to 50,000$ today..

Women sold for around 700$..

The you get to sell any children they produce..

Slave labor is and has always been cheaper than low wage labor...

The north was not more profitable either... 90% of the US’s millionaires lived in the south..

Right In the cotton boom, one man woth 5 slaves and a couple hundred acres could be a millionaire with 100 slaves In a couple years..

The reason the south was at such a disadvantage wasn’t that its elite didn’t have as much money..

There is NO evidence slavery was winding down in the south.. that is 100% based on the fact the rest of Europe was abolishing slavery..

And the rest of Europe didn’t have full blown slave society where up to half the population was enslaved..

The reaso the north was more industrialized (not richer ) Is because slavery retards progress..

Just like with everything else that is profitable, those presently profiting will spend money to keep it that way..

They never built sewer systems and other inferstructure because someone was getting paid for their slaves to dog those ditches and carry the water from the well..

So whoever owned those slaves would pay whatever politician to ensure they never upgraded the various inferstructure..

There a good argument that is why Rome plateaued..and why they didn’t go to the Moon first instead of the US..

As long as slaves are doing it , there is no need to improve upon the present system.. once you have to carry the water yourself....

Well now it’s time to put in plumbing , lol..

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Thanks for posting this.

It's amazing how lucid Mr. Hughes is at 101.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Yup, someone understands.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Well, you go invent that time machine and then you can help right that wrong! Sign up for union blue and shoot those racists for all those glorious years of the Civil War.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

The slave trade was conducted for some 250 years before the Civil War. I leave you to investigate the Atlantic 'triangular trade' to see how folks got rich off the slave trade. Then you can extrapolate the affect upon the creation of wealth which still resonates today.

Yes, and you can then go and reflect that the only thing most of us and our ancestors had in common with the people who carried on in it and got rich off of it was skin color.

And that might be why so many of us care so little for this argument that we are mysteriously benefiting from it.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, and you can then go and reflect that the only thing most of us and our ancestors had in common with the people who carried on in it and got rich off of it was skin color.

And that might be why so many of us care so little for this argument that we are mysteriously benefiting from it.

Meh

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Huh??

So acknowledging our history requires time travel?!?

I bet you make the argument that “confederate statues are our history, but everyone should forget about slavery and move on...”

Huh??

Probably SOMEHOW don’t recognize the blantant hypocracy in that either..

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Thanks for posting this.

It's amazing how lucid Mr. Hughes is at 101.

I know right. Hard life makes a sharp mind.

Did you guys catch the part where he said he saw the first electric cars when he was very young?
I have read that the electric car came before the gas type but this is the first real hand account I have ever heard of it being true.

<< 1  2   >>

join