It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slave Narratives.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I came across a clip of this while reading cracked.com article.
Words of wisdom from an old ex-slave.
It's amazing to me the thickness of the accent and I'm a southern man myself.
What he is saying about debt speaks directly to me.
Search the title of this video on youtube and you will find hours and hours of this stuff. It's amazing.

Teaser: His grandfather belonged to thomas jefferson.

edit on 23-11-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Being southern, I had no problem with his accent. However, I do have a problem with dragging back up again and again slavery.

It's bad, it was horrible and it still exists today. All over the world not just in the US.

I appreciate listening to elders and their opinions; but really, slavery? Ug. Please, no more. We have enough problems without digging up a horrid past.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Being southern, I had no problem with his accent. However, I do have a problem with dragging back up again and again slavery.
It's bad, it was horrible and it still exists today. All over the world not just in the US.
I appreciate listening to elders and their opinions; but really, slavery? Ug. Please, no more. We have enough problems without digging up a horrid past.
With respect, clapping one's hands over one's ears doesn't change the ripple effect that still emanates from the former slave-based economy.
edit on 23-11-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: Yup!

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
www.antislavery.org...

I personally feel for these guys [above] quite a bit more. They are not past their misery, they are still, right now being slaves, yet the oldtimers are highlighted.

Yes, it is interesting to hear historical accounts but I feel sick for a variety of reasons.
First of all, the old guys are not slaves any longer.
All black people who live in modern, civilised countries have made a whole business [getting money, special status etc] out of something that most of their families weren't even part of. Just because you are black doesn't mean your ancestors were actual slaves.

Black slaves were more expensive than Irish slaves and were hence looked after in the same way you'd look after anything that cost you money.

Not all slaves were mistreated. Most humans are actually empathic enough not to mistreat a fellow human, those that do are basically bastards. They probably mistreated their wives and kids and white maids just the same.

Slaves were rounded up by their own people who didn't give a toss. Anyone want to have a 'go' at them?

The biggest slave owners then and now are not white people but arabs.

White people fought against slavery until it was made illegal. Anyone want to thank them? No?

I really care about modern day slaves. Why are black people not on the forefront against these practices [considering their ever present experience] or does it only count when it is black people and everyone else can go and make love to themselves?

I care that slavery happened in unenlightened times but it isn't keeping me awake, considering it has been made illegal and is not done by whitey any longer. However modern day slavery does keep me awake. Those poor souls that are right at this moment, beaten, burned, raped and who would love to pick cotton instead; deserve our [and especially black people's] attention and actions.

I can't stand victim mentality for gain. Stop moaning and help others now.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Yea, hate for people to point out the atrocities you still benefit from.. right??? right???

Lol.. just lol..

Also I bet you say removing he confederate monuments is “erasing history.”

As you just specificlly asked to erase history.. lol

I posted the same thing about anold cobfederate General... I bet you stared and flagged it....

I’m gonna check..

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Says the guy who never witnessed chattle slavery....

None of the modern slaves had ANYTHING on chattle slavery..

Every atrocity you can point out with modern “slaves” you can double and add on “they also own your offspring in perpetuity..”“

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Slavery is over in the U.S. It was stopped by those evil "white people".

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Hecate666

Says the guy who never witnessed chattle slavery....

None of the modern slaves had ANYTHING on chattle slavery..

Every atrocity you can point out with modern “slaves” you can double and add on “they also own your offspring in perpetuity..”“

What guy?
You are talking about the atrocious conditions on ships?
Yes that was bad, but in all fairness it didn't happen to all of Africa. It happened to a comparatively small amount of people and has been rectified and acknowledged as bad.

You say modern day slaves have it better?

Ever read about the conditions in Dubai? Ever heard of all the chinese slaves that died building the railway in inhumane conditions?
Ever read about the horrible, horrible stories of female slaves to arabs who have been burned with hot irons, beaten and killed?
If you saw some of these victims, you would not say it is 'better' than being on a ship. It is a nightmare resulting in pain and death.

Being stolen from your family as a young boy and used for riding camels, whilst sleeping on a floor and being beaten with no chance of ever seeing your mother again is not as bad?

Being a young woman and given drugs and then sold so that dirty men can have their ways with you, whilst nobody cares if you live or die is not as bad?

You have blinkers on and all you see is 'but black slaves had it the worst'.

No they didn't, they had it incredibly bad but as I said several times now, white people put a stop to that and it is an awful long time ago when people were just different.

This is now. Right now, a woman/girl/child is being raped, beaten and mistreated, a man is dying in Dubai because he has to work 18 hours without adequate food or drink in extremely hot temperatures, another human is so badly beaten they will die soon at the hands of their masters.

So excuse me if I don't really agree with your callous ignorance of actual living/ suffering people, telling them they don't have it as bad...seriously?

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
I came across a clip of this while reading cracked.com article.
Words of wisdom from an old ex-slave.
It's amazing to me the thickness of the accent and I'm a southern man myself.
What he is saying about debt speaks directly to me.
Search the title of this video on youtube and you will find hours and hours of this stuff. It's amazing.

Teaser: His grandfather belonged to thomas jefferson.

The 2nd video title is misleading. She wouldn't know slavery, she is more my parents age and my great grandparents wouldn't have known slavery (if they had lived in the south).

Whites did walk to school, my dad had to walk over a mile just to get to the road and he had to milk a lot more cows than 2 (Wisconsin farm). He almost starved his last year in high school, his family moved, but he wanted to finish school. I, myself had to walk over a mile to school (middle school) and my mom walked over 2 miles for grade school (Wisconsin winters are cold).

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Geez-can you possibly live in this century without whipping you and everyone else for something that happened almost 200 years ago??

We have enough in our present society to deal with. Get over your self-righteousness. Please. It's old.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Are you still living in a 200 year ripple effect? That's real sad. 200 years later. Real sad. Try to catch up.
edit on 23-11-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Yah, bury the past. It might reflect upon the present.

Lets tear down more statues, ban some films, remove some flags and change some street names.

Then make a ton of warmonger films about comic book superheroes.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah-that really addresses my comment. Do you read English?

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Everyone else????

Who do you mean???

You say something ridiculous, that almost certainly is as hypocritical as humanly possible , because I bet you have personally said that removing the confederate monuments is “erasing history..”

Then you say no one should ever mention slavery again...

Just so you don’t get things F’d up....

““His zeal in the cause of freedom was infinitely superior to mine. Mine was as the taper light, his was as the burning sun. Mine was bounded by time. His stretched away to the silent shores of eternity. I could speak for the slave. John Brown could fight for the slave. I could live for the slave. John Brown could die for the slave.
* Frederick Douglass, as quoted in A Lecture On John Brown.”

Freedom vs oppression is not a black vs. white fight..

You get to choose your team, you are not born into one..

You only need to run from our history of slavery if your on team slavery..

Plenty of white people have championed the fights against it..

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

You don't even begin to address what I wrote. So, continue to speak to yourself. You might want to see someone about that-and your extremely outspoken self-righteousness.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Are you still living in a 200 year ripple effect? That's real sad. 200 years later. Real sad. Try to catch up.

Catch up to what , conquering foreign nations and subjugating (enslaving) them under the New Hegemony?

Making debt slaves of entire populations?

Importing workers under temporary visas to slave for the largest corporations?

New chains in the new world order.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

A) It hasn’t been 200 years..

B) that is less than 2 life times ago..

We are not talking Ancient Greece or Rome..

We are taking about great, great grand parents..

Still operating Businesses are older than that..

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

Yeah-that really addresses my comment. Do you read English?

So far all you got is ridicule.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Yea, hate for people to point out the atrocities you still benefit from.. right??? right???

Lol.. just lol..

Also I bet you say removing he confederate monuments is “erasing history.”

As you just specificlly asked to erase history.. lol

I posted the same thing about anold cobfederate General... I bet you stared and flagged it....

I’m gonna check..

I'd like to know how I've benefited?
My family were farmers, farmers don't make much, they are robbed of anything because people like you want free or practically free food. Growing crops and raising animals is hard work.

My Grandpa lost his farm because his wife was sick, so he lost his living and everything he had that was worth anything.

I joined the Army, something most young people could do. That's how I paid for college.

While in the Army, I was a victim of black crime (black crime is very common, check the numbers), that took a lot from me. I got nothing from the injuries incurred from this black military guy. Hopefully he was caught doing something else and has served time.

My kids were bullied by a group of blacks at school for years, the school would always say they would do something about it, they never really did and their crimes never were even put on their records.

Until blacks start owning up to their issues, stop blaming others, protecting black criminals,I have no respect for blacks in general. Individually, some I can.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I have put up countless posts exposing that slavery, segregation and civil rights has never been a black vs white fight..

It has always been slavers vs abolitionists, segregationists vs intergrationists, racists vs nonracists, good vs evil...

We are not born to a team, we choose our team..

I think perfectly proven by this quote...

““His zeal in the cause of freedom was infinitely superior to mine. Mine was as the taper light, his was as the burning sun. Mine was bounded by time. His stretched away to the silent shores of eternity. I could speak for the slave. John Brown could fight for the slave. I could live for the slave. John Brown could die for the slave.
* Frederick Douglass, as quoted in A Lecture On John Brown.”

That is the most influential black abolitionists freely admitting a white guy wanted it just ridiculously more than he did.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join