It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook To Inform Users If They Fell For Russian Election Propaganda

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Well, I'm sure this is going to go over really well with people who use Facebook and support Trump! (obvious sarcasm is obvious)...

Facebook will soon release a tool that lets users see if they liked or followed any Russian propaganda during the 2016 election, the tech giant announced Wednesday.

The tool will reveal to users whether they interacted with Facebook or Instagram accounts operated by the Internet Research Agency, a St. Petersburg-based company believed to have been employed by the Kremlin to spread political messages throughout the election.

The tool will apply only to content users may have interacted with between January 2015 and August 2017. Facebook expects to roll it out by the end of the year.

I'm sure that diligent, truth-seeking Americans not only want to know, but are willing to admit that they "liked" and "shared" memes, photos, and commented on fake stories. I mean, the brainwashed are always eager to undo the damage!

Since Facebook got a bit of a black eye hosting and allowing Russian propaganda, it seems they're making an attempt to clean their conscious:

“It is important that people understand how foreign actors tried to sow division and mistrust using Facebook before and after the 2016 US election,” the company said in its announcement.

I suppose knowledge is half the battle, but given the numbers of people likely exposed, I wonder how many people will actually pause and consider the things they're shown?

In September, Facebook revealed that a likely Russian-based operation spent $100,000 on thousands of ads promoting divisive political messages and that it had since deleted the accounts posting them. More than half of all eligible voters in the U.S. were exposed to that Russian propaganda between January 2015 and August 2017.

Link

In the end, however, I doubt anyone here on ATS or elsewhere will for one second believe that their incredible intellect was toyed with by Russian propaganda. I mean, we're the "woke generation"! Nothing slides by us! We see the puppet masters behind the scenes!

I'm reminded of a joke I saw recently that sadly likely reflects many Trump voters:

Two conspiracy theorists die and go to heaven. Now that they have the chance to ask any question of God, one of them asks "Who was REALLY responsible for 9/11?".

God responds "A group of Al-Qaeda terrorists led by Osama Bin Laden and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed."

The conspiracy theorist gulps and turns to his friend. "Damn. This goes even higher up than we thought."

+20 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu Well, I'm sure this is going to go over really well with people who use Facebook and support Trump! (obvious sarcasm is obvious)...

Facebook will soon release a tool that lets users see if they liked or followed any Russian propaganda during the 2016 election, the tech giant announced Wednesday. The tool will reveal to users whether they interacted with Facebook or Instagram accounts operated by the Internet Research Agency, a St. Petersburg-based company believed to have been employed by the Kremlin to spread political messages throughout the election. The tool will apply only to content users may have interacted with between January 2015 and August 2017. Facebook expects to roll it out by the end of the year.
I'm sure that diligent, truth-seeking Americans not only want to know, but are willing to admit that they "liked" and "shared" memes, photos, and commented on fake stories. I mean, the brainwashed are always eager to undo the damage! Since Facebook got a bit of a black eye hosting and allowing Russian propaganda, it seems they're making an attempt to clean their conscious:

“It is important that people understand how foreign actors tried to sow division and mistrust using Facebook before and after the 2016 US election,” the company said in its announcement.
I suppose knowledge is half the battle, but given the numbers of people likely exposed, I wonder how many people will actually pause and consider the things they're shown?

In September, Facebook revealed that a likely Russian-based operation spent $100,000 on thousands of ads promoting divisive political messages and that it had since deleted the accounts posting them. More than half of all eligible voters in the U.S. were exposed to that Russian propaganda between January 2015 and August 2017.
Link In the end, however, I doubt anyone here on ATS or elsewhere will for one second believe that their incredible intellect was toyed with by Russian propaganda. I mean, we're the "woke generation"! Nothing slides by us! We see the puppet masters behind the scenes! I'm reminded of a joke I saw recently that sadly likely reflects many Trump voters:

Two conspiracy theorists die and go to heaven. Now that they have the chance to ask any question of God, one of them asks "Who was REALLY responsible for 9/11?". God responds "A group of Al-Qaeda terrorists led by Osama Bin Laden and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed." The conspiracy theorist gulps and turns to his friend. "Damn. This goes even higher up than we thought."

No matter how much Russia hacked, influence or interfered, most everyone who went and made him the winner by voting, did so because HILLARY CLINTON IS CORRUPT! More corrupt than anyone, or even everyone else combined.

So your entire thesis is a complete joke.

Hillary lost because she is a POS plain and simple. (And a really nasty one at that).
edit on 22-11-2017 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2017 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

I liked the joke a lot.

But the rest is garbage for many reasons.

One, the idea that Facebook actually gives a sh*t and is doing this for altruistic reasons.

Two, because even if they are, no one who fell for it will admit it or even believe that what they liked was indeed “fake news”, especially considering many many people believe Facebook is a social engineering product.

Three, it’s irrelevant now anyways, and it won’t change the election results.

Personally I think this is a long orchestrated move with the intention of creating a fresh talking point that will undoubtedly cause the current divisions to continue.

link   

LOL, who takes facebook seriously?

+14 more 
link   

Pfft
Nice try.
I never used Facebook once in my life.
I bet you carry around a copy of Hillary's "What Happened" too.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I "like" what friends of mine post that winds up on my timeline all the time. Half the time I totally disagree with what they are posting, but they are my friends and I do not want to start pissing them off. Most of my facebook friends I am either related to or they have been friends of mine for thirty or more years. Or their parents were.

I don't see the point of Facebook doing this, don't they realize that people just give likes sometimes to boost someone's happiness a bit. Their management must be totally disconnected from reality if they can't see that happening. Most people do not want to be rude to others that are real friends. Real friends are ones you know from real life engagement with them, not internet buddies. I don't know if posts on the net are even real, they could be generated by a computer or someone getting paid to spread lies.

Facebook won't last another ten years, they will chase away all their patrons.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Sure glad I can think for myself and don't require confirmation from a biased source to lead me in my fragile thoughts.

#solarflarecantcomesoonenough

edit on 23-11-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

LOL, who takes facebook seriously?
I think there is at least one Podesta leaked Email saying that Google was on board the Hill train or maybe it was Facebook . Not sure .

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
LOL People on ATS don't use Facebook just like they only eat non-GMO, organically grown foods.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Can Facebook pick out the color tie I'm supposed to wear tomorrow?

Ima tew stooped.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
LOL People on ATS don't use Facebook just like they only eat non-GMO, organically grown foods.

All of that is true for me.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I "like" what friends of mine post that winds up on my timeline all the time. Half the time I totally disagree with what they are posting, but they are my friends and I do not want to start pissing them off. Most of my facebook friends I am either related to or they have been friends of mine for thirty or more years. Or their parents were.

I don't see the point of Facebook doing this, don't they realize that people just give likes sometimes to boost someone's happiness a bit. Their management must be totally disconnected from reality if they can't see that happening. Most people do not want to be rude to others that are real friends. Real friends are ones you know from real life engagement with them, not internet buddies. I don't know if posts on the net are even real, they could be generated by a computer or someone getting paid to spread lies.

Facebook won't last another ten years, they will chase away all their patrons.

Right.
Sometimes I like a friends post with out even looking at it just to alert them that I am online and they should pm me.
I can't be the only person that does stuff like that .
I have also liked stuff I didn't agree with at all just because I liked the girl posting it...

But personally I would like to see if I liked any russian propaganda. I mean I'll remember if it was something I agreed with. And this would be an incite into how governments interact with each other that we normally don't see.
edit on 23-11-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
imagine if they had tool for CIA propaganda...

Can anyone here make a counter?

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

You'd have to visit non-USA sites to see that, as the CIA doesn't operate domestically.

I think you're wanting to identify FBI propaganda...they infiltrate just about every grassroots group on the left and right. From gun-toting militias to occupy wallstreet.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Facebook is just like how this site is going,nothing but a bunch of liberal post's,not unlike a broken record,I'm all about being informed,but by the truth,I can make up my own lies,they pick and choose what can be posted

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Facebook is just like how this site is going,nothing but a bunch of liberal post's,not unlike a broken record,I'm all about being informed,but by the truth,I can make up my own lies,they pick and choose what can be posted

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   

You'd have to visit non-USA sites to see that, as the CIA doesn't operate domestically.

Your ignorance on the above subject is unbelievable. They aren't supposed too, yes, but it's quite empirical and well-documented that they have/do.

You can cure that ignorance by yourself very easily. Not even a difficult Google. You won't even have to go Boolean. No, I won't Google for you. Speaking of Google, take a good look at Alphabet, Inc. if you decide to self-educate.

Or you can continue to be ignorant and parade it here. Wear it loud, wear it proud, sir.
edit on 23-11-2017 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   
What is missing from these reports and claims, REPEATEDLY, is a description of exactly WHAT this supposed propaganda actually WAS.

If it was just a picture of say, Donald trump and the caption # YEAH! Then are we really to believe that swung an entire election?

If it was articles detailing how Hilary Clinton (or anyone else breaking the law for that matter) is a corrupt, criminal piece of # (so just a factual report basically) then, isn't that actually a good thing? (Also I seem to recall the email thing and all that had almost no impact on poll numbers)

I think precisely WHAT was in this so called propaganda is vital to understanding this "Russia blah election blah" narrative.

Also,

Facebook is primarily an echo chamber. If you got anti Hilary BS it's most likely because you were ALREADY anti Hilary, and the same applies to any other candidate.
They have in-depth algorithms to provide relevant content to users based on their interests etc.

If it was in the form of adverts then a good proportion of people who clicked on the adverts to read more WERE ALREADY INTERESTED and likely already had their minds made up.

Really I am struggling to see how spending 100,000 dollars on advertising (a ludicrously paltry amount in the world of advertising mind you) could have had this apparent enormous impact that swayed an entire nation of 320,000,000 people, who were definitely going to vote democrat, AWAY from Hilary Clinton and TOWARDS Donald Trump because really, that is what is being claimed here, or strongly implied at the very least... the idea is laughable..

And if you don't agree, you're basically saying you believe that spending 0.0002857 dollars per citizen of the USA is enough to take over the entire nation's democratic process and subvert it's government....
If only we'd know this earlier! The whole Vietnam war could have been avoided by spending just $10,000

edit on 23-11-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: theultimatebelgianjoke

WIKILEAKS: Mark Zuckerberg Had Secret Meeting with John Podesta, Colluded to Rig the Election

FaceBook's Zuckerberg calls users "dumb%*$&s" for trusting him with data

Leaked Podesta Emails Show Facebook Colluding With Clinton Campaign ‘I Want HRC to Win Badly’

a reply to: booyakasha

That statement sir will the prize of the biggest BS of the day ...

The Victory of ‘Perception Management’

And on top of all this, we are supposed to trust Facebook to accurately identify and count the 'Russian propaganda.'

No thanks.

I feel like there is a bubble among FB users where they feel or think that literally everyone is on FB, because they are and their friends are.

Last I heard only half of the US was on FB. And that number was people who have accounts, not people who actually use those accounts.
edit on 11/23/17 by Ameilia because: Spelling!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join