It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Computer An Artificial Utility

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Two centuries ago there were entire islands where people all had six fingers. That's pretty much gone today because the trait has been bred out.

Adaptation is a wonderous thing.

Maybe in another two centuries we'll develop six fingers again since most of us spend 18 hours a day pounding away on our keyboards at the average rate of 40 words per minute.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

That depends on if we leave things to chance. Look at what we've done to cats and dogs in just the last 100 years of breeding them. Look at what we've done with crops in that same time.

We are on the cusp of genetic manipulation as people are created.

Those are all things I would call evolution.
edit on 22-11-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Two centuries ago there were entire islands where people all had six fingers. That's pretty much gone today because the trait has been bred out.

Maybe in another two centuries we'll develop six fingers again since most of us spend 18 hours a day pounding away on our keyboards at the average rate of 40 words per minute.

Why? We don't use all our fingers to type now. How many people do other than "hunt and peck"?

originally posted by: Aazadan

That depends on if we leave things to chance. Look at what we've done to cats and dogs in just the last 100 years of breeding them. Look at what we've done with crops in that same time. We are on the cusp of genetic manipulation as people are created. Those are all things I would call evolution.

What happened to the last guys that tried that? As I remember, it was not well-received.
edit on 11/22/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Why? We don't use all our fingers to type now. How many people do other than "hunt and peck"?

I use all my fingers to type. Then again I'm a decent typist. I can either type with both hands on one keyboard, or on two seperate keyboards at a time with one hand on each.

Any actual typing involves using all of your fingers, with the possible exception of not using one thumb since that's mainly for the space bar.

originally posted by: Aazadan
What happened to the last guys that tried that? As I remember, it was not well-received.

Yet it still goes on today. That wasn't quite what I was referring to though. It won't be long before we have the ability to genetically manipulate embryo's into making people who are taller, have certain characteristics, and so on.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: CranialSponge

I use all my fingers to type....also

www.sciencemag.org...

Humans are still evolving and technology is influencing evolution.

www.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

The majority of people who do the old two-finger 'hunt and peck' typing are old farts who were born long before the computer age kicked in. They didn't learn typing skills because it wasn't a common everyday thing like it is now.

Kids nowadays are learning how to use computers alongside being taught proper typing skills in elementary school. Literally.

Typing is no longer just a skill that's being taught in secretarial courses.

My kid was typing 60 words per minute by the time she was in grade 6... taught as a part of her school curriculum.

Me ? I had to pay for a typing course much later in life as an adult because I wanted to get away from that whole two-finger typing thing.... I don't have the patience to spend 3 minutes playing 'hunt and peck' on the keyboard just to spit out a sentence.

Now I can type at a good speed using all of my fingers without looking down at the keyboard.

It's become an invaluable skill to me now.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Actually, from everything I've read, kids are getting worse at typing because of the keyboards on mobile devices. I wouldn't be surprised in a few years to see kids typing papers or for work, using their phones synced to a computer. It's a more comfortable environment for them to work in. People like me who use a full sized keyboard and a mouse are becoming antiquated.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Judging by this thread, there aren't many folks who use a computer to actually compute things.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Judging by this thread, there aren't many folks who use a computer to actually compute things.

It's been my experience that 90% of computer use ends up being for word processing, another 9% for simple calculations, and 1% for actual complicated tasks.

I think that's ok though. How often do we use most tools to their maximum potential? What's important is that some can and do, not necessarily how common it is.

One thing that's stuck with me is your explanation to me of Excel a while back, and how hard it was to find people that could work in it properly. Spreadsheets are in my opinion the #1 cost saving benefit to computers, previously spreadsheets were calculated by 10's to 100's of people in a room and it was something that only large corporations could afford. But now, spreadsheets are an every day tool to any business. Sure, not everyone can use them but most businesses are able to find a few people who can.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I just think the computer is undervalued by most people here who are commenting.

If the computer went away tomorrow, the world would be in deep crap. The math skills of the average American are nil, and filling the flood of new vacancies for "Accounting Admin" would be almost impossible.

At the Wells Fargo in my prior home the biggest issue with hiring bank tellers was finding people who could count cash and balance a till. 100 years ago this skill would have been fairly commonplace in any urban center. Today...not so much.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I don't disagree on the math skills or filling vacancies.

250 years ago these were common place
eh.net...

It's a chart showing the exchange rates between different colonies money values. People would do those calculations on the fly in their heads. Now, very few are capable of doing so.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Some thing that might be overlooked is how many computers are embedded in consumer machines and that are used to control infrastructure and manufacturing.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
They are required.. now. Business is married to computers and computing. Removing them would set business back decades. For home use, sure.. no one needs one. Some people live quite happily without computers, TV, etc. Do people need smartphones? Same argument.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

No doubt we are smarter in some ways, but I think dumber in that we are losing our ability to function WITHOUT technology.

That's a fact.

Out of all the animal kingdom on this rock.

Humans are the only ones that can't live without technology.

less than one percent would probably survive without it.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I learned my mad typing skillz playing MMO's. If you are not on a voice communication program, such as Ventrilo, you learn to type really fast.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join