It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Cop on US police force shoots suspect holding knife.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I would like to hear from our brothers and sisters across the pond, on how you feel this was handled. You can tell he did not want to. At first I thought it was just an armed UK cop. Could/should he have used his baton/taser before ever even drawing his firearm? I know many in the UK think we handle things the wrong way when it comes to police shootings, so since this is one of your own, what say you? Anyway here is the video. Enjoy!

edit on 22-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
He gave that person so many chances to drop the knife and dropped him when he was rushed

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Before I saw there was another officer I thought that guy just made the worst mistake ever by holstering his gun. He came very close to a bad day. I also wonder why if he thought to taser him did he draw his gun...that always bugs me. If you think a teaser is an option then start with that. Don't try to switch arms while the guy is 5 feet from you...

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
I would like to hear from our brothers and sisters across the pond, on how you feel this was handled. You can tell he did not want to. At first I thought it was just an armed UK cop. Could/should he have used his baton/taser before ever even drawing his firearm? I know many in the UK think we handle things the wrong way when it comes to police shootings, so since this is one of your own, what say you? Anyway here is the video. Enjoy!

It was handled the way it was supposed to be. You will get the armchair quarterbacks thinking life is a movie and the cop could have shot him in the kneecap or shot the knife out of his hand. You will also get those saying they could have tasered him (some truth to that but not always the case).

At the end of the day, when you pull a weapon on a cop, it is not going to end well for you. You may end up dead which is what happened in this case. It is irrelevant if the guy with the knife is mentally unstable. Most people are to some degree if you are willing to assault a cop.
edit on 22-11-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
ACAB.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Looks like the female was aiming for his lug hole and might actually have been the one to drop him. Anyway, The guy gave him enough warnings and knifeman took advantage when Johnny English holstered his gun. Looked kinda fatal.

No Complaints here in Scotland.
edit on 22-11-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Not from across the pond but will comment.
I don't see a problem with this, it's tragic, the officer tried and near the end wanted to deploy his tazer but the guy rushed him..I can only assume the guy had some mental health issues.
In this case I feel for cop as much as the guy holding the knifes family.
edit on 22-11-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I thought that too...surprised there wasn't more blood immediately. It looked like at least one head shot from her and one from him as the guy was falling. She also fired at him with a house right behind him which was not a very good move...but I guess without her Johnny English could have had a pretty bad day.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I also wonder why if he thought to taser him did he draw his gun...that always bugs me. If you think a teaser is an option then start with that. Don't try to switch arms while the guy is 5 feet from you...

A knife is a lethal threat, so when the officer was alone he met that threat with equal force. You don't go to a Taser for a lethal threat unless you have a cover officer that's ready with lethal force. When the cover officer arrived, circumstances allowed for him to attempt a Taser deployment.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I saw some police training films of dealing with a knife and the safest method was to draw your firearm and aim

Even from some distance a person can close the gap and kill before the officer could draw his weapon and aim

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I guess that makes sense...although I still think at that point going for the taser was a bad and very dangerous move. Also believe the female officer firing with that house right there in the line of fire was extremely reckless compared to the UK guys line of fire. I do however realise these things go down in a split second so I doubt I would do any better.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

At that distance, I don't think trying to holster and get to a Taser is a terribly great idea, no. The cover officer should have been the one to deploy a Taser if anybody was going to do it, and if she had one.

As for her backstop, a brick building isn't the worst backstop in the world. Shootings rarely take place in wide open spaces with nothing around.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
IN a situation like that the officer has less than two seconds. Closing speed is extremely fast. You don't have time to think about it.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Whatever Shamrock or any of our other ATS members in blue say...wtf does my Turkey and target shootin arse really know?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

That was by the book. The cop absolutely did the right thing.

edit on 11 22 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
IN a situation like that the officer has less than two seconds. Closing speed is extremely fast. You don't have time to think about it.

I saw a live demo with a cop with a knife and one with a cap gun.

20 feet apart.

The cop with the knife reached the one with the cap gun before he could get a round off.

Shoot 'em.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Br34kingp01nt
ACAB.

That's insightful. Spoken like a true hood rat.

So should we assume no matter what the police did you would just hate them?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

She saved his butt that guy closed the distance to fast for him to respond. She hit him 3 times i think this was suicide by cop the moment he realized they intended to bring him in alive he made a move.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
A knife shouldn't be treated much different than a gun, if the person is within range to use your firearm with some accuracy then they are close enough to throw it or lunge at you full speed and there is no guarantee the first 2 or 3 shots will put them down.

As a trained officer, he had options which he used and attempted to use. He stepped back, for instance. If this was my hypothetical wife or daughter, the only reason she should take a step back is to assume a firing stance, in which case the bullets would be flying out at him a second later.

I feel bad for this guy, he obviously was in a place of suffering and pain and confusion and I tuly hope he is in a more peaceful state of being now. And of course the officers involved as well as the mans family must be having a hard time and i am hoping that they all get the help they need to make it through this challenging chapter of life.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Nope, the officer did a fine job.

The thing with tasers is they aren't guaranteed to work. The leads can get stuck in clothing or not seat firmly in the skin. Maybe the guy is on drugs and it will be ineffective.

The officer did what he had to do to make it home alive, and nothing more. I think its a clean shot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join