It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla: The new truck a game changer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Electric based tractor trailers may be the future of trucking. Electric trucks would be much cheaper to run. Less pollution. Better acceleration. This may be the next big thing.

Tesla: The new truck a game changer

What will determine the transition to new technologies like this will first of all economics, and that really stacks up on this one. There will be initial resistance from the truckers who skill set will be dumbed down (no gear changing) but I am sure they will adapt especially when they can make more money by travelling much faster over the same distance. Being overtaken like they are standing still on 5% grades will soon make converts of them.

It's all about economics. Electric trucks would be much cheaper to run.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

www.abovetopsecret.com...
This was brought up a few days ago. My reply there was, this is all great and neat, but once they go autonomous, it wont be pretty for Mr. trucker.

edit on 22-11-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Might be even less pretty for vehicles that decide to cut off the driverless truck....that happens far too often

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Tesla can't even sell their cars so how are they going to sell large trucks?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

NWTrucker, an actual truck driver wrote a thread regarding this trucks build ...and it has it's limitations with a human operator, as well as an automatic pilot.

I will go look for the thread...it was very informative.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I could see them in town or used for shunting ...Long haul not so much .Off road ,not so much .

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The starter barely turns the engine over here when it is twenty below zero F. My Table saw won't start sometimes when it is really cold and some electric power tools take a beating because of starting them when they are really cold

Do you think I am going to buy an electric car? It would require an engine heater to keep if warm all night and while you are at work.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
They're pushing these driverless transport trucks in Canada too, but it'll be interesting to see how they chain up on hills in the winter (maybe there'll be spikes that come out of the tires?), how the batteries do in extreme cold, and when the trucks decide to shut themselves down because of road conditions- how will products make it to their destination if the trucks are shut down half the time?

They talk about the comfort of the electric trucks, they don't seem to realize how comfortable and easy the trucks are already.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I don't think semis can ever be operatorless - unless Tesla invents and installs automatic antifreeze sprayers with temperature sensors for the engine and other components of the semi, otherwise the engine will seize up in Manitoba's -40+ Winter temperatures, or along the new Arctic highway they are building.
edit on 011CST02America/Chicago04820230 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Imagine getting the red light at scales to bring your paperwork in if its a bot truck . Or like you say when its time to throw the chains on going over the Coke in BC

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Like any battery powered vehicle,they go like hell till the batterys die,they would be limited on range,then would have to recharge batterys for an extent of time,or have to change batterys out,which could take hours,unless they develop a way of recharging while charging it will have it's limitations,diesel just put more fuel in

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
Like any battery powered vehicle,they go like hell till the batterys die,they would be limited on range,then would have to recharge batterys for an extent of time,or have to change batterys out,which could take hours,unless they develop a way of recharging while charging it will have it's limitations,diesel just put more fuel in

Ummm...Elon Musk already commented on that aspect...He stated that with an average fill up with Diesel it takes approximately 25 minutes to fill both tanks...He then stated that when you've expended the 500 mile range at 80,000 lbs load...you simply pull into a service station...while you shower and hit the crapper...shave and eat lunch...your truck will have taken on an 80% charge in 30 minutes...then...on the road again...

It's an idea whose time should have come decades ago...better late than never...

YouSir
edit on 23-11-2017 by YouSir because: (no reason given)

top topics

join