It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GAH!!! GRRRRRrrrrr!! It never fails!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I swear...every frigging Thanksgiving...almost without fail...some grand plumbing / appliance disaster happens!! I can go all year without a plumbing / appliance problem, but come Thanksgiving something in the kitchen is going to go kaput! I just can't believe it, always right before or "on" Thanksgiving.

One year it was the kitchen faucet (and those totally suck to replace)

Another year it was the main refrigerator.

Another year it was the entire sink (why I can't stand under-hung sinks!)

Another year it was the main water line to the house

Another year it was one of the main freezers (just hours before we were getting on a flight)

This year...I'm standing there rinsing off the turkey after removing it from the brine. I look down and there's water pouring out of the cabinet below the sink. S#!! Not again!!! Dig everything out from under the sink to investigate. Looks like the garbage disposal just took a dump, water pouring out of the bottom of it.

Here I took a half day off today, and was looking forward to just relaxing with a beer or five, but NOoooooo! Now I'm going to be going out and getting a garbage disposal, and replacing it. Fortunately, garbage disposals are a snap to replace, but still, that something always seems to happen just before or during Thanksgiving is just unbelievable!!

Maybe I'll just skip the beer when I'm done and just go straight to whiskey!

Unbelievable!

edit on 11/22/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Skip steps 1 - 10 and just go for the whiskey. You won't get the sink fixed, but you won't care.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!

You Brine your Turkey? I realize it keeps it from drying out. But the saltiness.

On sub..
Mine went in july. It was old and rusty, easy to replace. However it only lasted a month because certain guest think you can put bones from meat products and chop away...
Aaaargh...

Before that..
The central heating and AC.
Bathroom pipes burst.
Bathroom sink pipes rusted..
Tv blew..
Roof started leaking and all of it needed replaced.
The AC unit (outside) went.

All a year apart right around sept...

Now the water heater is leaking like mad... $$$$$$$ and alway inconveniently timed.

Feel your pain.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

OK, it won't help with the frustrations of the repairs, but ...

Be grateful you have a sink, turkey, and even a garbage disposal. Plenty do not. Gratitude helps bring on happiness even in the face of adversity.

Also, think about what a relief you will feel when you do get it finally hammered into place, and then you can kick back with a nice drink for a bit.

I'm still fighting a miserable cold, feels like I'm coughing up slabs of my throat, and I have to take kiddo to his doctor checkup and bake cornbread so we can have cornbread stuffing tomorrow. Husband and I will be reviewing our recipes to see what else we can prep ahead tonight, too. Might be roasting Brussels sprouts and squash tonight.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It's those damn gremlins, man. Give them some turkey and whiskey and they'll leave you alone.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

You Brine your Turkey? I realize it keeps it from drying out. But the saltiness.

Actually, I wet cured it, not straight brined. So, not as salty, but extra-delicious!

Also, thanks for the shared pain. Makes me feel a little better! Just wish it wouldn't happen every frigging Thanksgiving (when everything is closed, etc.).

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Will they fix the damn garbage disposal for me????

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Nope. They just screw stuff up, not fix things. It'll make them too sleepy to mess with anything else though lol.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The sink one still kind of cracks me up. Who would ever think their sink could just fall out????

I would have never believed it unless I'd actually seen it! The freaking sink just fell right out..BOOM! Just dropped right into the cabinet below. Was sitting at the kitchen table and heard this crash. WTH??? Went and looked and the sink was gone. JEZUS!! (face palm!) That one was on Thanksgiving Day at about 10am...just couldn't have a more horrible time to have your sink decide...well, that it just didn't want to be a sink anymore!

My wife heard me growling in the kitchen this morning before daylight. She asks me what' wrong. I tell her to just guess. She comes in and sees me clearing stuff out of the cabinet and water everywhere...and says... "Not again!! REALLY???"

We just had to laugh. It's like the Thanksgiving jinx!

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Maybe you are psychic; because you worry its going to happen, it does.

Or...

...the resident ghost disapproves of strangers in their home.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Maybe the Universe wants you to give thanks that only one thing a year breaks.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

So, any relation to Murphy? Seems like he might be your twin.

Sucks, man, and I feel your pain. We just moved out of a house this past spring that was a money pit and a half where I had to replace:
    - Rotted moldy subfloor in two locations (kitchen and laundry room)
    - Flooring in kitchen, laundry room, and one bathroom
    - Replace and finish base cabinets in kitchen
    - Repair poor floor joist repairs from previous owners
    - Replace rear exterior door
    - Replace faucet in kitchen and bathroom
    - Redo plumbing (there were at least 6 separate water leaks in plumbing in the walls and crawlspace)
    - Replace exhaust vent in bathroom
    - Many other trivial things that take up time that I don't want to list

Keep in mind that we lived in that house for less than three years, and I did every single thing myself. It was three years of constant projects, and it seemed like every time that we had plans to go do something or that family would come to visit, one of these issues would come up.

Point being, I feel your pain, but if it's any consolation, just be thankful that you have a home and the ability to repair what goes wrong. You could be the guy that I see every day that I drive home from work--living under an overpass.

Nothing says that you still can't have those beers, anyhow...

Happy Thanksgiving?

You're either related to Murphy, or you're a Griswold. I seem to fall more on the Griswold side of things.
edit on 22-11-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

November is bad too. After the expensive repairs/replacements around the house, then comes the yearly auto inspection and registration. 2 cars, the one gets driven less than 2000 miles a year. No matter where I park it, critters always get into it and coast hundreds in damages.

Inspection: $45
Parts and labor to make it pass inspection: never under $800.00

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Be grateful you have a sink, turkey, and even a garbage disposal. Plenty do not. Gratitude helps bring on happiness even in the face of adversity.

It's kind of nice when you and I can agree on one thing. Happy Thanksgiving, and I mean that sincerely.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Cripes!

What did you put in that post?

Our furnace isn't kicking on. So now it's the day before Thanksgiving and we have no heat.

Of course, I went downstairs after cranking our thermostat to see what the furnace is doing, and the filament is kicking on, so is the blower, but there is no "WHOOSH!" So right now, consensus is that the sensor just needs to be scrubbed off and we'll be good to go. That usually needs doing every couple of years. Cross fingers that is it.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Do you have room in your house to build in a second small kitchen? A back up kitchen.....

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Clean the sensor.. use a fine grade sand paper. If it's trying to kick on but not staying fired up.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Your wife is sabotaging it all to make you work more.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

It used to be on some disposers that if you bought the same brand of garbage disposal, you didn't have to take out the part attached to the sink. It had a twist lock attachment on a couple of them that I installed. It was a little more expensive to buy, maybe twenty bucks more, but they were heavy duty and you could take it loose to get out a fork stuck in it. Which I had to do. Is yours like that or do you have to start taking it all apart.

The problem with that is that they keep changing things, what was standard twenty years ago isn't standard anymore. The seperate ring makes it much easier to install, holding that thing up when trying to put it together sucks. It becomes a two man job.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Yeah, husband was able to come home long enough to trouble shoot and that's what it is. Too bad he has a meeting he must be at this afternoon, so he couldn't just stay home and take care of it right away.

He'll have to get to it later on this evening.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join