It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hawaii Mulls Public Beach Smoking Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The state of Hawaii is pondering the enacting a law that would prohibit smoking on public beaches. The ban would also extend to parks as well. While several cities have already enacted this type of ban, Hawaii would be the first state to do so. Opponents of the measure have warned that international tourism may suffer, but supporters point to the restaurant ban that has had no effect.

story.news.yahoo.com
HONOLULU - Visitors flock to Hawaii's shores to snorkel, surf and sink their feet into the unblemished white sands of the state's beaches. But camouflaged among the coast's glassy granules lies a hidden peril — seemingly indestructible cigarette butts cast away by smokers.

In a state where every beach is public, it is possible to light up in the sand outside the toniest oceanfront homes.

State lawmakers want that to stop. Under a bill before the Legislature, smoking would be banned on public beaches and parks, and cigarette butts would have to be tossed only into designated trash bins. Violators could be fined $250.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nothing kills me more than to spend half a day hiking to get to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park and finding cigarette butts scattered about the summit. it perplexes me as to why most smokers feel that the world is thier ashtray. I hope to see California push this soon.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Nothing kills me more than to spend half a day hiking to get to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park and finding cigarette butts scattered about the summit. it perplexes me as to why most smokers feel that the world is thier ashtray. I hope to see California push this soon.

*applaudes* I agree wholeheartedly FredT, as a fellow Californian I am agast at smokers blind eye towards the environment. I am gonna start harassing people on the road who flick their butts out the window...maybe start flashing highbeams...and if their in a Hummer or Excursion they get the pleasure of the finger

join