It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials aren’t having enough babies to keep up with generation before them

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
a reply to: toysforadults

Could there be a link between the personal savings rate of the generation that gave us the Millenials?

Sure looks like it: Historical US Personal Savings' Rate

A steady, almost unmitigated, decline in the personal savings rate from 1990 - 2005...maybe their parents are to blame for not instilling a good sense of the value of money?

No it is simply mathematics.

More people in the system, less available money in the system.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Original point remains: we're not short people.

There's nothing wrong with short people.

They're closer to the floor so they can pick up stuff that I drop.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Many young people are not looking to have kids and not even marry even with a long time partner. I think it is mostly due to expense and lack of religious reasons for both.

Anyone who took population 101 knows it is not birth rate but death rate that creates population growth, we just live too damn long. If you reduce the birth rate too much you end up with not enough young people to work and your population gets old. Now we might soon reach the point that retirement age will be 75. The old 65 was based on people dying around that time in the near past.

edit on 21-11-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Could there be a link between the personal savings rate of the generation that gave us the Millenials?

A steady, almost unmitigated, decline in the personal savings rate from 1990 - 2005...maybe their parents are to blame for not instilling a good sense of the value of money?

Money is a fictional construct.

It has no inherent value - only what we assign it as we use it to exchange goods and services.

Banks create and destroy money every moment they're in operation.
edit on 19Tue, 21 Nov 2017 19:57:32 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago11 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I didn't say we were short people. What I said is that we are short on replacement.

A person is only a productive worker for so long before they start to be too old to work productively. At that point, they tend to retire and many become more of a net drain on the system than a net gain in terms of productivity.

Programs like Social Security and Medicaid are for those people in their elder years because we no longer have the closely linked extended family kin networks that we once had. Current progressive trends have eroded that type of family structure where children felt it their duty to care for their elders and revere them. Instead, mom and dad are often sent off to the retirement home on the government dime unless they were lucky enough to be able to provide for themselves.

Now, because the government long ago raided the funds for those programs, they are operated on a pay-as-we-go basis meanging there is no lockbox. The money you pay for Social Security does not get saved for your use. Instead it is immediately cycled back into the system.

This can work, but only so long as there are enough active tax payers in the system to keep financing the current recipients of benefits.

As soon as the current payers are outnumbered by those drawing benefits, the government is placed in a bind or the system crashes.

And that is where we are heading with a negative replacement rate in our population.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I am sure it is hard for Millennials to reproduce.

They are too confused about their gender.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I am sure the statistics might be a little different when comparing races vs abortion rates as well. Some people do not need a dime to keep producing. Not taking any shots at any given group of people but it is a small slice of the pie.

Last I checked, no one needs a single dime to keep producing -- some crazy economist who bought into "there is a such thing as a free lunch" idea is responsible. Or nature. Maybe even God. Clearly, either way, it was a bad economic model...

Do you have any statistics to support your assertion? Would it be the case that a declining birth rate due to economic conditions is inversely related to abortion rates? Or would abortion rates rise, contributing to a declining birth rate, because it's more financially burdensome to have children? Or, because you indeed stated, "comparing races vs abortion rates", abortion rates decline (or stay the same) in certain races -- without pointing fingers -- because they (whatever race fancies your persuasion) intuitively know they "do not need a dime to keep producing" in an altruistic manner to keep our population from declining?

After all, "it is a small slice of the pie"...care to source and clarify your counter-intuitive assertion? I read Freakonomics and all and the abortion versus crime rate data has always been an interesting discussion, IMO.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
No need to worry. The population shortfall will be more than made up for by the number of children born to immigrant families from North Africa and the Middle East.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
This is good news. When I was born the population was around 3.2 billion now it is over 7.6 billion. Modernisation will mean less jobs in the future. It seems the millennials realize this fact.

The US population is still on the increase though. About every 12 seconds it increases. 325+ million and still increasing.
edit on 21-11-2017 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

It's fine.

We already shoulder the burden of the political, economic and natural catastrophe left behind from post modern industrialization.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Lol, wut?

Clearly, it is mathematics. The graph is a rate, not an absolute. Please square that circle (re: "more people in the system, less available money in the system" = causing financial distress leading to declining birth rates among Millenials). It's gonna involve the kinda mathematics you may have trouble with...never fear, though, I can point you into the right direction showing there's more money in the system (once we attempt to get past that, we could possibly tackle the mathematics that matter). You first.

And you don't buy the idea parents are able to instill social mores and personal discipline (or lack thereof) into their kids?

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

The Govt. in Canada came out with stats within the past 5 years that said the only demographic growth were the Natives . I think it was 6 kids per household and that group is one of the poorest groups so $$ is not the factor . At that time the Gov. looked to immigration to balance out the decline in the main population . Made me think that that may be one of the reasons they start wars in other countries .

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Taxes collected alltime high

Medical insurance costs all time high

College costs all time high

No cost of living raises since Reagan was pres

Rent all time high

Housing over heating

Yes let's through kids on top of this f'd up mess. Welcome to the oligarchy that is America.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

All of those things you listed are caused by skinny jeans and lack of work ethic nothing to do with anything else.

Pshhhh 2300$ a month rent in the only communities that actually offer decent employment opportunities, no big deal

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Regardless of what money is, without enough of it surviving is difficult.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Skinny jeans didn't lobby Obama to f all the US citizens so a very small portion of corporate America can still gouge everyone. Obama could have solved one major problem with the medical system. If you think skinny jeans lead to this, please, by all means explain it so even I can understand it.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Parents instilling values will not counter lack of funds.

The wealth is being horded, it's not circulated back into the economy, there is little to no trickle down. However the population is still growing.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Millennials aren’t having enough babies to keep up with generation before them

Who would want to bring a child into a country marching headlong into Fascism.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

many of us don't want to and won't

this isn't going to affect just us though either just watch what happens as your retirements evaporate

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: olaru12

many of us don't want to and won't

this isn't going to affect just us though either just watch what happens as your retirements evaporate

What retirement, mine evaporated in 08 and I was forced back in to the labor pool. Best thing that ever happened to me.
I'm at work in the studio now....living the dream!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join