It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With 'Hog Apocalypse' on hold, what do we do about the pesky wild pigs taking over Texas?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

That, or import some bigger predators.

I have a bad feeling about that.

Slippery slope.
edit on 11/22/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
How big are the pigs over there? Ours get pretty big here,biggest I've heard of is 160kg
edit on 22-11-2017 by hiddenNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

How much is that in real numbers?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I dontn know sir phage,in our term its pretty fkn big when you are jumping on it with a knife

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

In America we are more refined. And understated.

"Big 'un" is commonly used in my neck of the woods.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

OK,I understand. If its running at me,with three dogs hanging off it,it a "big bastard" and those grinders are sharp. If had to stitch and shoot a few unfortunate dogs over the years.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Hey, you're the one who's hunting it.

Are they poisonous in NZ? Or is that just in Oz?

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   

A family contracted botulism last week from one,but IMHO I think it was 1080 poison,sad we still use it over here. But that's the third case in 30yrs so no big thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
The ones here in South Texas started breeding with African Wart hogs. Read that in the local papers couple years ago.

Hog hunting season is year round for the most part.

The Texas Legislature has granted landowners some relief by stating that “landowners and their designated agents” can control feral hogscausing property damage by any legal means without benefit of a hunting license.

Otherwise you just need a hunting license to hunt hogs on other folks property. Like if you went out with a guide or outfitter.

We just find a buddy with some property and go out. If the game warden stops us, the property owner did all the shooting.. Wink wink.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

Wart hogs,mmmm,that's another level of clever pig then. We don't have them here. You poor buggers is all I can say.....oh and " we gonna need bigger dogs and knives"

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

i believe it would help if people with access to firearms had basic reading comprehension skills :

“landowners and their designated agents”

sadly - you would count as your " buddy " [ the land owners ] " designated agent "

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
We were starting to have problems in Michigan but I hear they have been pretty much wiped out. Coyotes are another story but major progress is being made on them once people started realizing their kids and pets are a food source. I have a farm and haven't heard any in close to a year since i told the neighbor he has freedom to shoot them on my property.

I'll have to look the neighbor up tonight or this weekend to see what the count is. Maybe we can get some rabbits and pheasants back.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

any sensible opinions on why michigan has succeeded in controling its feral hog outbreak - but texas is failing ???

relevant issues that i can think of :

texas has a better food source - so faster maturity // breeding

texas has better weather - so more young survive winters

the texan ferral pigs are more fertile // feccund

any others ????

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I remember about 100 acres in florida some years back, hunting was prohibited by the state.

But it was full of oak trees, and yea the hogs soon realized plenty of food, no risk and they were tearing it up so they state agreed to a hunt.

Set the number at like 200 hogs over a 2 week hunt, lottery draw to get in, they hit the limit before the first weekend was over.

They absolutely need to be on the varmint list when they hit the numbers like it seems they have in Texas.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: intrptr

That's the one i wanted to post but I thought was against T&C.

Talk about
that's unreal.

Gotta love tannerite! There are others that just blow my mind - no pun untended.

I know, I was delving down that rabbit hole too.

In the past other animal 'plagues' have prompted similar response. How desperate must it be getting today, not only with hogs but other species like tropical snakes?

Invasive species travel the world easy, they stowaway like insects on fruit, are imported illegally in the exotic animal trade, and like hogs (the wayback Spanish brought those everywhere they went) are intentionally introduced.

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

That, or import some bigger predators.

I have a bad feeling about that.

Slippery slope.

Definitely! Mostly a joke, recalling an old children's book, The King, the Mice, and the Cheese, wherein that sort of "solution was tried. Funny book, as I recall, but bad plan!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join