It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nintendo Switch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hey what's up guys I finally gave in and bought a Nintendo switch and I did end up getting Zelda for it pretty sweet.

Been thinking about picking up a few more games today obviously going to get a Mario Odyssey Mario Kart 8 and then I'm waiting for December 1st to get the Xenoblade game.

At first I was thinking I need to buy Skyrim and doom but then I was like oh yeah I got to beast ass pc so I don't have to stoop to the levels of true console peasant more so I'm just visiting and let's be real I don't see me playing Skyrim without mods I mean it might be cool to play with the motion controls but MEH.

I can't wait for octopath traveler to come out and lost sphear.

I would say my only complaint though is the joycons they're a little too small for my hands so like when I'm done being around I sometimes hit the wrong button another thing I didn't like on Zelda is a can't truly customize the keys I can't change every button into whatever the hell I want and that's kind of lame maybe I don't want to use the same as everyone else sure I could switch switch it was friends or some s*** but I don't know only thing twisted my titties.

By the way I made this whole Post in the shower using voice to text so if it doesn't make sense that might be why.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I recently got an X1S to use mainly as a 4k player, and was.. "surprised" at how different console gaming has become (only have had an older 360 til now).

Frankly, I've never been more certain of my choice to be a PC gamer.

Does the switch require full game installations, gb of updates, etc? Gears of War 4 required 85 some odd gigabytes of updates beyond the 50 or so for the "main" install. I laughed, then returned it.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My gamer days are long past but if I were to get back into it i'd be buying a switch with Zelda, Mario kart, and Starfox

I've played them vicariously through youtube vids

back to the good ol days..

edit on 21-11-2017 by Tucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

You have to install on those consoles?

Holy suck ass!

On switch I just put the lil cartridge in and its ready to go, one thing I like going from portable to console mode is instant, don't have to wait for anything to boot up.

I got the switch for the Nintendo exclusive games mostly, anything I want with sick graphics I can fire up on the PC. looking at you Mechwarrior 5.

It's fun to play Zelda in bed.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

Yeah seems to be Nintendo specific Titles scratch that Nostalgia itch.

I'm hoping Square Enix cranks out the gems on this system.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Mario Odyssey is tremendous. Almost done with it, and have found it to be very easy, but it is still a ton of fun. It mixes in elements of the original Mario with lots of new stuff.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Yes!

Wild, huh?

I think they are only still relevant because of ignorance about PC's. So many think you need to spend thousands upon thousands to play PC games at all. I think some would be shocked at what they could achieve by just slapping a modern GPU into the desktop they already have. At most, it would require an additional investment in a decent PSU, but those can last forever, through multiple builds, and save a good amount of money over time.

Lookit those numbers I posted again too.. WELL over 100gb for the install, and if its connected online, you can not play the game until those updates are installed.

I honestly thought they would have come up with some clever solution for BD limitations. Nope!

For a 4k player though, that I got as open box on a discontinued bundle.. it was still the best option.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Certain games have "extra content" that must be downloaded onto the system memory or an extra SD card. I think Doom might have that for multiplayer and that basketball game has that as well as neither of those games is smaller than the 16GB standard SD card.. Nintendo makes there's fit of course..

I remember the first time I tried to play somones Xbox 360 I think it was and it said i was out of space.. i was like what? I don't need space I just want to play the game.. I have to install the game?? Fine... go make space delete a 25GB file.. nope you need 7 more GB wtf??

Then I got it installed and guess what?? Now I have to update it?? 30 minutes later I was playing a game that was not to my liking so to try another one that I also had the physical disk to play would have been the same thing all over again.. I got bored...

I like the idea of just putting a game in and playing it.. I never remembered having storage issues on my pc builds.. I havnt been a gamer for sometime but are pc games 100 GB these days?? Seems unneeded.. lol.

The only console id consider is a switch. A switch and a pc. Well you know.. if I find some money somewhere hehe..

edit on 21-11-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I am jealous. I have Wii U, and it was/is great. I loved Xenoblade X, it was a beautiful game on Wii U, and I was playing it on a 4k TV that upscales, so it basically cleaned it up, I had like 600 hours total on 3 files almost all offline. Zelda Breath of the Wild, is great, but it just seemed to be lacking something, also I felt the audio approach they used, was underwhelming. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic. There are now a ton of Switch games I finally want (I was not buying all of my Wii U games, just to play them on Switch at 1080p with some added content. Nintendo made a ton reselling those games on Switch though. I decided to get Xbox One instead, and its been great.

I have only played Skyrim on an XBOX ONE free play days, it was great. I think that is one that I would like to pick up, when I finally pick up a Switch. That way I can play it on the go, if I want. I am just torn between Switch, and XBOX ONE X, there are a ton of games that have free 4K XBOX X enhancement patches. I cant afford either one right now, unless I put myself in debt, I should not. Less I want to be kicked out, and live under a bridge, because my partner blew up at me
LOL.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

It wouldn't have been the 360, I don't think.

Purely with gaming in mind, I think the only real options are the Switch and PC. From what I've seen, Switch has some exclusive titles that look really good and it retains so much of what makes a console a reasonable alternative.

Doing a 4k player on PC is pretty annoying right now though. But, plenty haven't adopted 4k anyway, so...

Just have to watch GPU price peaks due to those damn miners!

In all seriousness, something like a 1070ti is a genuinely impressive piece of hardware.

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Yep. The XBone requires all games be installed. I have a 4 TB external HD hooked up to mine. It's odd at first, but not really that bad. Obviously plug and play is dead now, but COD WW2 took maybe 20 minutes to install and simultaneously downloaded and applied a 35 GB update. You can now run mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4 on the XBone, so we've got that going for us...

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Yep. The XBone requires all games be installed. I have a 4 TB external HD hooked up to mine. It's odd at first, but not really that bad. Obviously plug and play is dead now, but COD WW2 took maybe 20 minutes to install and simultaneously downloaded and applied a 35 GB update. You can now run mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4 on the XBone, so we've got that going for us...

I have a ps4pro for 4k gaming, and have never really had a problem with download speeds and installs.

Destiny 2 didn't take to long either

posted on Nov, 22 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I dunno... I love playing Skyrim on the PC, but I'd love to try it on the Switch, too. I could really use it during those times when I'm forced to go out into public. Gas, groceries, etc.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Also got a Switch recently. Loving Super Mario Odyssey. Game is HUGE. Only got like 300 moons out of 800+ total.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Been playing TF out of Mario Odyssey too, my gal loves it. It's great, seriously great

About to get Skyrim for the third time said I wasn't going to but hey I'm a liar.

Might pick up Doom again too haha.

top topics

join