It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God a narcissistic bastard?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have often thought the very same thing, who gets to go to heavan the bad man who accepts god, or the good man who denied god?

I think that if God truly exists it is so omniscient, so perfect, so vast in his/it's/her wisdom it would judge us accordingly.

If God is petty and only let's those is in to heavan who suck up to his cult of personality, I would never want to be a part of that god's design or heavan.

Personally I never liked ascribing anthropomorphism to deities anyway, that is a failing of man. Man needs to identify and understand God, so he gives it personality characteristics like vengeance driven, narcissm, stuff like that.

The real "god" would be so beyond our boundries of comprehension, as would it's ability to judge a person based upon their merits, not their ability to suck up by believing in God.

I believe in "God", but I don't believe in religion, religion is Man-made. God exists without the need for defining, or religious rituals to believe in it.

Just My Thoughts,

-ADHDsux4me

[edit on 14-2-2005 by ADHDsux4me]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It all goes back to the point that we are all one. If you disbelieve this, i'll just say you can't prove it any more than you can prove your own belief. Any action wrong or right, (simply human interpretation) compaired to the magnatude of god is always wrong. We are the finite trying to understand the infinite (god). Human beings always have to evaluate a situation to understand it. It is coming from a subjective, singular experience. Cause and effect. In the instance in the beggining of this thread is it the one who sins his entire life and repents, should he go to heaven or is it the one who does good deeds yet doesn't believe in god and isn't excepted by god? These are purly human (finite) evaluations of the situation. The Bible is men's inturpretation of God the infinite. God can't judge us any more than we can judge ourselves. Besides it doesn't matter if you believe in God because God believes in you... obviously or you wouldn't be here...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
The only question is where to go from here? Maybe out to the mountains to discover that "narcissistic bastard," within yourself, who protests too much. Then after hours of beating on drums and doing the Hopi rites, you realize the real thing or something better.

LOL! I loved that post, sincerely. It had me brainstorming. Good post, mate.
I am a narcissistic bastard, I admit it. I haven't yet beated on drums though, or done Hopi rites. I'd rather go to Tibet and live among Buddhists, thats more my type of thing.

[edit on 01/27/2005 by TheBigD]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The slogan of this site is supposed to be "Defy Ignorance" right? I dont know why this god nonsense ever gets discussed. Usually it is just the butt of another joke for me. haha

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

why should he feel insecure???

Theoretically there could be many things because we don't know what God is. Is he a human with super powers and super intellect? What is God? Is God gas, solid, or liquid? Is God capable of thought or is God an autonomy? Is God everything our assumptions make he/she out to be? What gender is god? Is God multi-gendered? God, what is....it? How can we base our assumptions on something we know nothing about? Your assumptions of God are based on nothing, and my assumptions are also based on nothing, nothing conclusive that is. We base our assumption of God based on other assumptions made by people prior to our present time. So, the assumption of knowing what God is, is irrelevant and a mystery in itself. Obviously I have contradicted my own posts here.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Wow, lots of good viewpoints coming in while Im at work. Maybe I should stay away from the thread more.

Several people have pointed out that we can't comprehend God as he is infinite. I agree. If he exists he probably is. However, the bible points out clear human guidelines, so if he inspired the bible, he must have some common ground with us. Otherwise, what we do would be inconsequential to him.

Narcissism is a human condition. I wanted to explain my question to fellow humans. It's probably not accurate (presuming it's even close to that) but at-least everyone on this thread knows what we are discussing.

Some christians here have dragged Jesus into this. I intentionally left him out of the first post because he obviously was a brilliant guy. The difference between Jesus and god though, particularly the god of the old testament, could hardly be greater.

I am obviously not a christian, but I try to follow Jesus word as well as I can. He must have been a very, very, very smart man. I also pay close attention to and try to follow the words of Gandhi, Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King to name some. But I don't worship any of them either.

I would hate to just disappear when I'm dead. Hell might not be a fantastic alternative either, unless William Blake is right. I kind of hope being a good human being, and doing good for people around me is enough.

And to the christians on this thread implying that you can't do true good if don't worship god; that is so narcissistic I won't even comment on it.

I'll try the Hopi drums though, sounds like a fun way to search.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Everyone has sinned against God, no amount of "good works" make up for that. God doesn't rank sin like people do. All are freely offered forgiveness. God is more holy than we can imagine and is making an eternity than will be beyond our imagination and one that will be completely just. He wants every person, there to live with Him and so He can share all that He has made. That's why forgiveness is offered to all so none would have to miss out.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by dbrandt]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but don't you people look beyond Christianity. Before Christianity did Homo neanderthalensis' go to Heaven because Christianity was a religion then? Did Homo floresiensis' burn in hell for all eternity based on a technicality? Keep in mind that Christianity is ONLY two thousand years old. A wet fart of a human turd is a good analogy for about how long Christianity has been around.

Side Notes:
Homo floresiensis lived as recently as 12,000 years ago.
Homo neanderthalensis, died out 30,000 years ago.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
He wants every person, there to live with Him and so He can share all that He has made.

Wow, are you on a first name or nickname basis with God? You seem to be a very informed apprentice of his. Let me guess, God has made you a prophet, huh?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD

Wow, are you on a first name or nickname basis with God? You seem to be a very informed apprentice of his. Let me guess, God has made you a prophet, huh?

See this is exactly what people don't get. God does want to be the best friend you ever had. People have this view that God should be distant. That's not the God of the Bible. We are, at the moment, seperated from God by sin and we are not able to be in God's presence as He desires. That's why He solved our sin problem in Christ.

God loves YOU just as much as He loves me. The Bible clearly tells us that God is going to share what He has with us. That's what a loving Father does with His children.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD
Before Christianity did Homo neanderthalensis' go to Heaven because Christianity was a religion then?
Homo neanderthalensis, died out 30,000 years ago.

NO SUCH THING.
NEANDERTHAL MAN

In 1860, about the time that Darwin published his book on evolution, the first few fossil fragments of Neanderthal Man were found in the Neanderthal Valley, in Germany. Later, additional fossils of the Neanderthal people were found in other parts of Europe, in Asia, Africa, and Israel. In 1908, a nearly complete skeleton was found in France. The Neanderthal people manufactured tools and weapons, and they buried their dead just like modern-day people. furthermore, their brains were somewhat larger than those of modern-day humans.
All of this indicated that they were fully human, Homo sapiens. They did, in some ways, however, appear to be rather primitive. their skulls were flatter than ours, some of them had rather heavy eyebrow ridges, and the skeleton in France appeared to be hunched over, as if Neanderthal Man did not walk completely upright like you and I. Based on these findings, the Neanderthal people were declared, by evolutionists, to be subhuman ancestors of man, and were given the official name of Homo neanderthalensis. Museum exhibits and pictures of the Neanderthal people portrayed them as sort of long-armed, knuckle-dragging, beetle-browed, stooped-shouldered, bow-legged subhumans.

A famous anatomist, Dr. Rudolph Virchow, declared, many years ago, that the primitive features of the Neanderthal people were not due to the fact that these people were subhuman, but were due to diseases, or pathological conditions. He pointed out that the skeleton discovered in France was of an old man who couldn't walk upright because he had a bad case of arthritis! Dr. Virchow declared, further, that all of these people suffered severely from rickets (a condition caused by the lack of Vitamin D) which causes bones to become soft and deformed. For many years, however, evolutionists paid no attention to what Dr. Virchow was saying, because they wanted Neanderthal Man to be a true subhuman ancestor of man.

Eventually, however, other skeletons of Neanderthal people were found that were fully erect, and it was established, by medical research, that the skeleton found in France was, indeed, that of an arthritic old man. X-rays of the fossil bones and teeth showed, just as Dr.
Virchow had declared, that all of the Neanderthal people had rickets.
Scientists finally concluded that all of the so-called primitive features of the Neanderthal people were due to pathological conditions, or diseases. Museums have removed the old exhibits of Neanderthal people and have replaced them with new exhibits showing the Neanderthal people looking very human, and about 30 years ago, two scientists published an article about Neanderthal people in which they declared that if Neanderthal Man were given a shave, a haircut, and a bath, put into a business suit, and placed on the New York subway, no one would take a second look!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
So we have millions of neanderthals, early homo sapiens and generally everyone who lived more than about 2000 years ago burning in hell.

Again, I'm not claiming that we can understand god if he exists, but that's just one more thing that a "nice" god wouldn't stand for.

Maybe he doesn't exist, maybe the bible is wrong, or maybe he isn't as "kind and forgiving" as christians would have us think.

Either way, I just cant see myself going anywhere near a religion which is either so mistaken, or that worships a mean deity.

The Jews follow an "older" version of god, anyone know whether they believe god is kind and forgiving?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gekko
So we have millions of neanderthals, early homo sapiens and generally everyone who lived more than about 2000 years ago burning in hell.

"Neanderthals" are not caveman that we evolved from. Read my last post. And there was salvation before Christ too.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

"Neanderthals" are not caveman that we evolved from. Read my last post.

Yes I understood that. The comma means Neanderthals AND Homo Sapiens.

And there was salvation before Christ too.

I am interested to know what you base this statement on?
If it is a personal belief, you should make sure to make this clear. If you have evidence I will withdraw any faithful Neanderthals from my "god - blame list".

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I am interested to know what you base this statement on?
If it is a personal belief, you should make sure to make this clear. If you have evidence I will withdraw any faithful Neanderthals from my "god - blame list".

God set up a sacrificial system that foreshadowed Christ until He came. That what the Bible teaches. I'm also saying there were no neanderthals, humanity began with Adam and Eve.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Ah, now I get it. I thought you meant the Neanderthals were very similar to Homo Sapiens (which they were) and that you had something to back up your claims about early salvation. Not so.

Thats the sad thing about discussions with many Christians, all belief and no substance.

Sorry dbrandt, for a moment I thought you were taking the discussion seriously. Just referring to a book that most people on this planet doesn't believe in is not.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This is sad, when Christians are confronted with a reality that the Bible cannot explain they internally fight for survival. It is reality that before 2000 years ago that Christianty did not "save souls" because it didn't exist prior to 2000 years ago. Are Buddhists, Pagans, Satanist, Faloung Gong, Islamists, Vodooist, Jewish, all going to hell? Is Roman, Greek, Phoencian, Egyptian, Aztec, Mayan, Kickapoo, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Eskimo, and Celtic society all going to hell? Is the currently 3.8 billion people not practicing Christianty going to hell also?

This is my response to you who believe whole heartly in your faith, continue believing. But know this, your religion is not superior or inferior, it is the same type of structure that has existed for millenia's. You don't have to listen to what I say, but don't take the attitude of religious superiority. I can believe myself to be superior, but that is because I am vain, narcissistic, jack***.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Religion is too black and white and transparent at the same time, and that is why I look at religion as maladaptive manifestion for humanity. It is a blockade for real growth, if we must use religion as a pedastool to moderate our daily activities then it censors all thought that rebels, thought that encourages more thought. Questioning your faith in Christianity is like in 1984 and the concept of "thought-crime", I once was a victim of Christian ideaology and now I produce the dangerously evil product of satan everyday in my mind, A.K.A. Christian "thought-crime". The act of questioning what authority tells me is essentially Christian "thought-crime". Christianity enslaves your mind from childhood and that is the reason it is difficult to let-go. Freedom is slavery, peace is war, ignorance is strength, it seems like a good analogy to religion.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   

and that you had something to back up your claims about early salvation. Not so.

Thats the sad thing about discussions with many Christians, all belief and no substance.

Sorry dbrandt, for a moment I thought you were taking the discussion seriously. Just referring to a book that most people on this planet doesn't believe in is not.

You lost me. From the tiltle of this thread I took it that we were talking about the God of the Bible. So what book should we go to to find out about this God, than the Bible. And if we are talking about the God of the Bible and you don't believe the Bible is real than why are you bothering to put time into this subject?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You lost me. From the tiltle of this thread I took it that we were talking about the God of the Bible. So what book should we go to to find out about this God, than the Bible. And if we are talking about the God of the Bible and you don't believe the Bible is real than why are you bothering to put time into this subject?

You got the subject right. All Im saying is that you keep stating your beliefs as if they were true. Your beliefs. You keep going in circles around the original question, never really giving any answers apart from "GOd is good, believe it or burn burn burn...".

You might have noticed I keep a civil tone with certain other christians on this forum, thats because they can say more than: "I believe this, therefore it is so". Hell, even bible quotes is better than that!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join