It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God a narcissistic bastard?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Thanks for all the posts
, I think I have gotten my answer.

I agree it is down to a personal choice, and this debate has made it clearer than ever to me the christian God is not for me. Certainly not a god I would choose to worship.

If it comes between worshiping a god with these attitudes and burning in hell, ill take hell. Hopefully the christians here are wrong, and it wont come to that.

As I said, Im off to look at Buddhism....

Peace

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Gekko, (im) not good on my own. All goodness is a grace of God. Jesus is good, not one christian
is good without jesus who taught us goodness.

The difference is that atheist can do good but don't credit God for their goodness. if a christian does any good he should
realize that christ works through him. before i converted I hardly ever did any good but was filled with selfishness more tha I am now. Only
God gave me alittle goodness I now have.

Nobody grows up with a bigger heart tha others. We hear stuff as children on goodness, and some of us keep those words in us when we are grown, without those teachings
we would be selfish.

Jesus tells us to love our enemies and pray for those who persicute you.

thats good. real goodness. not just an everyday freindly hello, or helping someone you already love, but to be able to love someone you don't know or disliked before, is true goodness.

I know a story I think of saint Vincent, who whle he was being stoned, prayed for the souls stonning him.

thats why he was a saint. goodness he did not learn on his own.

peace.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gekko
Thanks for all the posts
, I think I have gotten my answer.

I agree it is down to a personal choice, and this debate has made it clearer than ever to me the christian God is not for me. Certainly not a god I would choose to worship.

If it comes between worshiping a god with these attitudes and burning in hell, ill take hell. Hopefully the christians here are wrong, and it wont come to that.

As I said, Im off to look at Buddhism....

I am not a Christain in the sense of the earthly designation , I believe in God and Jesus without the colorings of faith in the context your are equating. The only way to serve God is to do so with a heart of your own not a heart of shaped opinion.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I had a question very similar to this one, but it did not seem to be answered well. Most of the answers were along the lines of "if the guy is christian, the actions come automatically". Here is the scenario:
There is this hermit christian fellow. He lives alone in a deserted forest, growing his own vegetables and fruit. He has dedicated his life to studying the bible and praying. He dies.
There is this non-christian/pagan/jewish/muslim/buddhist/athiest/whatever. He has lived an average life. Maybe he has a few minor sins. He started out as an ambulance driver. He later buys another ambulance. Soon he has a fleet of ambulances. Then he builds a hospital. Soon he has 15 branches. He builds a school. Soon he has many schools. Although he has very little money, he spends all of it in health and education. When he dies, he gives all his money to further education.

According to christians, the 1st will go to heaven, while the second will go to hell, even though the 1st made no serious contribution to society, while the second gave all he had, to make society a better place.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I'm sure we can run through scenarios all thread long, but the fact is God, being good, is the one who will be making the decision. Not us, not any Christian here. Christians know God to some extent, but we're not going to be sitting there whispering in his ear who should go to Heaven and who should burn. Revelation speaks of a judgement, where the fate of people are decided. Christians already having been saved, would be spared of this exceedingly harsh process.

I'm disappointed in the people here who don't want to 'room with an ex-murderer' if they are a completely changed person. I can see why those of you who would not want to, be denied Heaven because of it. You who have done 'no wrong' and are 'good enough' are in denial of an evil nature, where the ex-murderer can see the err of his/her ways. Your kind of hypocrisy and prejudice does not belong in Heaven.

It doesn't matter what you used to do. It doesn't matter what you used to be. Put your past behind you and follow Him.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
For anyone that doesn't know this, GOd doesn't judge on outward appearances like we do. So it seems unfair for the charity guy to go to hell. But then again we can't read into his thoughts and intentions like God can. The bible states that no human is good whatsoever. We always have some kind of motive or postion for doing something. It's never just out of love. We do it for notoriety, like the pharisees when they gave alms they stood on a platform and had trumpets blown so every man could see them do it so they could recieve the praises of men.

A lot of rich people do that today, when they give there must be cameras and media all over the fact that they gave a measley 10 percent of their total worth to a charity so that they can recieve the praises of men. God knows all this stuff, so we can't just judge men by outward apperances. Jesus said that the Pharisees were white washed tombs. They had it going on on the outside, but on the inside they were full of deciet, lies, murders, bribery and all that stuff.

They could set someone up to be stoned to death and a person wouldn't know it because of all the technicalities they added to the decalouge. If you read in the gospels they tried to set Jesus up to be stoned all the time with the technical questions they were asking him. I like the one about the women found in adultry. They tried to get Jesus to either go against the law, and be stoned to death with the woman or go along with the stoning and lose followers. But Jesus started writing on the ground like he didn't hear them and then said that the person without sin may cast the first stone.

But everyone walked off, maybe Jesus was writing their sins on the ground, hmm, I guess we won't know until we can talk to him face to face.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I always felt that a man will be judged by his actions not by his failure to worship. Your actions effect more people then you realize, its all about your integrity. I don't care how many pages you quote me from the bible, it's a personal belief which makes more sense then being egocentric and praying for the answers when you could be living your answers and helping others find the way as you progress. I don't need a book to tell me how to act.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Who's version of god? If you are refering to what is written in the bible then it is difficult to say he is not. Just look at the passage where god asks Abraham (I may be wrong on the character, but it is one of them) to kill his son and then tells him not too. If that isn't a power trip to see how much control one has, I do not know what is.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I am not saying this is how it works, it's mealy the impression I was left with after being taught christianity in school. But if it's so, it's certainly not a god I would want to worship.

You have the answer dear one.....what you been taugh is not what is real, I am saying, follow your heart

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Who's version of god? If you are refering to what is written in the bible then it is difficult to say he is not. Just look at the passage where god asks Abraham (I may be wrong on the character, but it is one of them) to kill his son and then tells him not too. If that isn't a power trip to see how much control one has, I do not know what is.

God tested Abrahams Faith by asking him to do something that only a person with total trust in God would do. God is the one who gives life, and he alone has the right to take it. Abraham had enough faith to realize that God had the power to ressurect his son. God can't lie and he told Abraham that Issac was to be the promised child from which his people should come forth.

Abraham knew that God wouldn't reneg on his promise so he knew that God would ressurect Issac if he killed him. This was also a show of what God would do in the future through his own son. God test each and every one of us. He has the right to do anything he pleases with us because we are his creation, not the other way around.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

According to the bible - to go to heaven you just need to to seek forgiveness for your sins and profess yourself to God. If you don't, you will go to hell.

Simple enough, but there is a catch. Say we have two guys:

One has spent his life molesting children, killing and lying to get his will. On his deathbed he fears the consequences of his actions. He prays to God, receives forgiveness and goes to heaven.

The other guy has dedicated his life to helping other people. On his dying bed he knows he has done what he can for humanity, leaving his meager possessions to charity. He has never believed in God however so he goes straight to hell.

The only thing that seems to matter to God is if you worship him or not. Worshiping God is more important than your actions on earth. If you confess to your sins, and worship him before you die you're fine.

Does this sound like a good God? I think it sounds more like the traits of a narcissistic bastard.

I am not saying this is how it works, it's mealy the impression I was left with after being taught christianity in school. But if it's so, it's certainly not a god I would want to worship.

britannica.com
Narcissism: "...an exaggerated sense of self-importance, and a need for attention and admiration from others."

Sounds familiar?

What the Bible actually says, is important, because the truth is there ready for you to envision, articulate within yourself and understand. Do not confuse a concept of God, with what people say about God.

Remember your quantum physics, even through the filter of limitations in comprehension, the possibilities are there. The Universe itself does not exaggerate anything, nor demand anything, and neither does the Father in Heaven, if you will, by the measure of your faith. God is much more than any Pantheistic human interpretation would envision. The concept is ineffable, so applying the narcissus myth is not exactly right, unless you consider how people behave themselves, thinking they have a direct line to God.

Only people act like "narcissistic bastards," as you put it, and there are many people who think they are right but are ever so far from the truth, even when they are right in fact about little arguments!

Keep on reading about God, and you will gain a great deal. Do not yield to the heavy and superficial judgments that ministers in a lazy light, project upon even the very young authoritatively. God is all powerful, but all loving, God is love. Do not be confused by greedy preachers who do not even believe for themselves what they are saying.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
God is all powerful, but all loving, God is love. Do not be confused by greedy preachers who do not even believe for themselves what they are saying.

WOW congradultions dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am amazed....
I'm so happy that I am not alone thinking that way!
Good job

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What the Bible actually says, is important, because the truth is there ready for you to envision, articulate within yourself and understand. Do not confuse a concept of God, with what people say about God.

Right on!

Remember your quantum physics, even through the filter of limitations in comprehension, the possibilities are there. The Universe itself does not exaggerate anything, nor demand anything, and neither does the Father in Heaven, if you will, by the measure of your faith. God is much more than any Pantheistic human interpretation would envision. The concept is ineffable, so applying the narcissus myth is not exactly right, unless you consider how people behave themselves, thinking they have a direct line to God.

Open us up!

Only people act like "narcissistic bastards," as you put it, and there are many people who think they are right but are ever so far from the truth, even when they are right in fact about little arguments!

Amen!

Keep on reading about God, and you will gain a great deal.

Tell us about it!

Do not yield to the heavy and superficial judgments that ministers in a lazy light, project upon even the very young authoritatively. God is all powerful, but all loving, God is love. Do not be confused by greedy preachers who do not even believe for themselves what they are saying.

Whoa, wait a sec...what's your beef with preachers? It sounded like you were preaching in this post here...

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Whoa, wait a sec...what's your beef with preachers? It sounded like you were preaching in this post here...

Ye shall know them by their fruits. (St. Matthew 7:15- 16)

Amen and all that, as I said before "it is all there," and "just read it."

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Gods intent was for us to love and care for each other. To share and enjoy what has been given to us and not to be hoarded.

Christianity serves christianity. A man who gives to his fellow man, loves his fellow man, and is selfless, has a better chance of mans definitiion of heaven then the self serving. self proclaimed Christian.

For the Lord knows no faith. He knows no race. What he knows is Love.
Love is in all of us. Practice Love, not ritual. I dont see anywhere
in the Bible where Adam and Eve had a manual on ritual or commandments or anything of that matter.

Its pretty simple. Judge not lest ye be judged. We should all stop now and practice love, and caring and sharing. LOcally and Globally. My brothers and sisters, that is the will of God. The rest is minutia

[edit on 14-2-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yes, he is a narcissistic bastard. Who else would make you go to church every Sunday to worship him? Only a narcissistic bastard. A narcissistic bastard establishing a moral and ethical code for the hierarchy of society, which is in itself established to oppress, but it works. If it works, why change it?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I believe that the will of God has been construed to benefit the churches.
Your relationship with God is your own. The churches need that weekly revenue.

While not all churches are bad, they are an uneccessary resource drain to what could be directly given to the needy.

The Bible is a worldly document divinely inspired and written in error. It has missing text, mis translated meanings and words, and cultural slang and additions. For one to beleive that the Bible is a perfect text is not seeing the truth. Do not look with your eyes says the Lord. Look with your heart and you will find truth. Look for truth, and you will find wisdom, and wisdom once found, will be a self fulfilling bounty.

Salvation was never intended to be complicated.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD
Yes, he is a narcissistic bastard. Who else would make you go to church every Sunday to worship him? Only a narcissistic bastard. A narcissistic bastard establishing a moral and ethical code for the hierarchy of society, which is in itself established to oppress, but it works. If it works, why change it?

Exactly, but only if that is your concept of God, and you arrive upon that conclusion based on the evidence. You have applied the "By their fruits you shall know them," test. But why conclude things with a God concept you have not even begun to understand. Okay so you begin with the assumption "he is a narcissistic bastard," and yes, given the climate in which various social structures have embalmed the God concept, who could blame you?

The only question is where to go from here? Maybe out to the mountains to discover that "narcissistic bastard," within yourself, who protests too much. Then after hours of beating on drums and doing the Hopi rites, you realize the real thing or something better.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

According to the bible - to go to heaven you just need to to seek forgiveness for your sins and profess yourself to God. If you don't, you will go to hell.

Simple enough, but there is a catch. Say we have two guys:

One has spent his life molesting children, killing and lying to get his will. On his deathbed he fears the consequences of his actions. He prays to God, receives forgiveness and goes to heaven.

The other guy has dedicated his life to helping other people. On his dying bed he knows he has done what he can for humanity, leaving his meager possessions to charity. He has never believed in God however so he goes straight to hell.

The only thing that seems to matter to God is if you worship him or not. Worshiping God is more important than your actions on earth. If you confess to your sins, and worship him before you die you're fine.

Does this sound like a good God? I think it sounds more like the traits of a narcissistic bastard.

britannica.com
Narcissism: "...an exaggerated sense of self-importance, and a need for attention and admiration from others."

Sounds familiar?

If I recall correctly, I have already replied to this, but it seems my posts have been deleted (can posts disappear?). Anyway, here it goes again:

God is not a narcissistic entity. God has never said 'worship me, or you will go to hell'. God said 'the criterion of entering Heaven is to be without sin'. If one does not embrace Jesus and the 7 holy mysteries, he can not be said to participate in the Christian religion properly.

And why should God be narcissistic? narcissism is a product of emotions. Narcissism is a product of comparison. In order to compare yourself to others, you must feel insecure. Imagine God being insecure: it is totally absurd! God created everything you see around you, why should he feel insecure???

On the other hand, Christian high priests *can* be narcissistic. Jesus never walked around in a bullletproof limousine, with gorrilas guarding him and wearing gold chains like the Pope or some Patriarchs do. Jesus had one piece of cloth, a simple white savannon, and his ride was a humble ...donkey. How's that for narcissistic?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
no GOD is not narcissistic.

GOD never turns his back on us.............we might forsake GOD but GOD never leaves us.

its our choice as humans to embrace GOD and his love or to turn from him and walk away.

GOD has a plan for each of us............the plan might not unfold to OUR liking......because unlike US .........GOD knows what is the best thing for us in the long run..........the plan might not unfold at the speed that WE want it too............but GOD's plan unfolds at the predetermined time by GOD.

i'm sorry you don't believe in GOD nor feel his love for you.

it is a personal decision that each of us makes.

but do i believe that GOD is narcassistic? heck no.............he gave us HIS only child..........to be sacrificed on a cross of wood.............all for US.

so no.........i don't believe that for a second........that GOD is narcissistic.

but that's MY opinion.

angie

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join