It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google planning to "de-rank" RT articles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Eric Schmidt, the Executive Chairman of Google’s parent company Alphabet, says the company will “engineer” specific algorithms for RT... ...to make their articles less prominent on the search engine

we are trying to engineer the systems to prevent that [the content being delivered to wide audiences]

The Alphabet chief, who has been referred to by Hillary Clinton as a “longtime friend,” added that the experience of “the last year” showed that audiences could not be trusted to distinguish fake and real news for themselves.
Source

Google is planning on "engineering" algorithms to prevent people from seeing results or articles from RT news. Google is planning to "de-rank" anything related to RT news... So stories from RT news will be available (technically), but they'll be at the bottom of the list, so to say, where you won't see them. This is akin to relegating every search result for something to page 400 of the Google results. Sure, it's there, but you won't see it. According to Eric Schmidt, the Executive Chairman of Alphabet, you're not intelligent enough to determine which news is legitimate, so Google is going to do it for you.
Oh, and he's a "longtime friend" of Hillary Clinton. Surprise, surprise.

In other news,

RT has bagged nine medals at this year's New York Festivals awards for the world’s best TV and film work.
Source

I stopped using Google entirely long ago when I realized how absolutely blatant their manipulation is of what search results you see or do not see.
If you don't want a private company to decide what you're allowed to see, use alternate search engines that don't manipulate your results. DuckDuckGo is an excellent one and I've been using it ever since I permanently swore off Google. I'd urge everyone reading this to stop using Google for internet searches. Google is a tool that is being used very effectively to mass-manipulate the public and shape opinions.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I have 'delisted' Google in my life.

They can't be trusted.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I think the really telling thing here is that Google, which makes such a big deal out of the notion of a fully-equipped internet tailored to the needs of its users, hasn't simply introduced a little warning sign for dubious sources in its search results. That way the information is still available, but the user at least has a little note of caution in their mind if they click on it.

A little red flag, like the kind you can use in your email inbox, beside the title of a particular search 'hit'. How much effort would that be to organise?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
RT generally uses more "truth" as its propaganda method of choice. Stuff that real fake news here in the US won't cover.

It's a solid strategy. Funny that CNN isn't on his list for fake news though ain't it?

Off Topic: I predict Mr. Fugly Eric Schmidt will soon have sexual misconduct troubles of his own. We'll see.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

YES!
DuckDuckGo
Checked it out
LIKED It.
Saved the link
and will now be using it!
Reminded me of how it used to be.

edit on 20-11-2017 by grubblesnert because: removed a me

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Well as long as I can copy and paste links to RT's stuff google gets bypassed . Oh and don't you think this kind of censorship is going to make people wonder why google would do such a thing and have a look see . I guess we keep driving the thing until the wheels fall off .

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Google has it's own agenda - to quote "Breaking Bad" - it's in the business of empire building.

What maybe more worrisome is that the current administration has forced RT to register as a 'foreign agent'.

www.reuters.com...

The only 'state' sponsored media ever required to do so.

The demand is unusual.

Although hundreds of foreign entities are registered under FARA, international media outlets are almost entirely exempt, and none have registered in over a decade.

RT America is headquartered in Washington, DC, and RT has bureaus in several other cities. Its operational structure closely resembles US-based, state-owned counterparts like BBC America, Al Jazeera English, and China’s CCTV,

yet RT stands alone in being compelled to register under a law established in 1938 to counter Nazi propaganda.

www.thenation.com...
edit on 20-11-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

First Amendment.
edit on 20-11-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yet another chapter in the "Hillary didnt get elected, so we have to change what "News" people see" story. They are not even being subtle about it anymore.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hmmm, so we all need to be spoon-fed CNN and the like while stories that contain actual truth from RT are too toxic for us little people. Glad I stopped using Google search. Duckduckgo works very well!

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
They can do this now because of that Bill that Obama pushed through last minute right?

Can't remember the name but this has to do with the government being able to regulate news that is against any US agenda. It was an anti propaganda Bill or something. Right?

I'm not saying the US government is forcing GOOGLE to do this but there is nothing RT can do to defend itself or it's legitimacy in US courts.

Google has no reason to do this other than it falls in line with their federal government's agenda to dominate online propaganda. Seriously. What's in it for Google.

Controlling the media wasn't enough to force Hillary on the US public. I wish I can see the look on her stupid face when it becomes clear that controlling the internet won't get her elected either.

Your never going to be president, you stupid cow. Get over it!

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Skyfloating

The worst and most concerning part of this is the average user will be oblivious to the fact that anything has changed.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

They can't be trusted.

Neither can RT>>> I 'd argue that RT feeds truth when it suits them, but they are constantly trying to instill fear, loathing and depression into the minds of the American people. We don't trust our government, our media or each other, it makes me very certain the chess loving Russians have bested our country only we do not know it yet.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Truthturtlehead

They can't be trusted.

Neither can RT>>> I 'd argue that RT feeds truth when it suits them, but they are constantly trying to instill fear, loathing and depression into the minds of the American people. We don't trust our government, our media or each other, it makes me very certain the chess loving Russians have bested our country only we do not know it yet.

It could be worse. You could be in Russia, where everything domestic media says is taken as gospel and most people aren't suspicious of their government at all (and those that are 'disappear'). Granted, a lot of Americans aren't suspicious of the their government either, or if they are it's in the wrong way.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
They are completely anti white as well as anit Christian. They censor everything. The scary part is they have control over the Ai.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AquinasProtocol

originally posted by: Truthturtlehead

They can't be trusted.

It could be worse. You could be in Russia, where everything domestic media says is taken as gospel and most people aren't suspicious of their government at all (and those that are 'disappear'). Granted, a lot of Americans aren't suspicious of the their government either, or if they are it's in the wrong way.

Just gave your very firstest star ever on ATS!

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

"I am strongly not in favour of censorship. I am very strongly in favour of ranking. It's what we do," he added. "It's a very legitimate question as to how we rank, A or B, right? And we do the best we can in millions and millions of rankings every day," said Mr Schmidt.

This is how they tie themselves in ethical knots and doublespeak. Censorship and ranking out of existence have the exact same outcomes.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Google neutrality!!

I mean don't actually do it, but do it. I ..umm.. nevermind.

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Sounds like freedom of the press means freedom of the press to politicalise the media

posted on Dec, 16 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Google is probably influencing anything you do on the world wide net. It doesnt matter what browser you use...unless it is cut off completely from the 'main' internet.
You can't even make a youtube account without google. And you better not make comments you wouldnt say in rl. Which is a safe way to be anywhere online these days...

top topics

join