It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Steam Powered Rocket Sponsored by Research Flat Earth and a Ghost Town

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

A self built 20,000 $ steam powered rocket is set to launch on Saturday live on youtube. 61 year old Mike Hughes built this out of salvaged parts in his garage.

The countdown to launch creeps closer and there’s still plenty for self-taught rocket scientist “Mad” Mike Hughes to do: Last-second modifications to his vessel. Pick up his flight suit. Leave enough food for his four cats — just in case anything happens.

Hughes is a 61-year-old limo driver who’s spent the last few years building a steam-powered rocket out of salvage parts in his garage. His project has cost him $20,000, which includes Rust-Oleum paint to fancy it up and a motor home he bought on Craig’s List that he converted into a ramp.
apnews.com...

Hughes doesn't believe in science, his main sponsor of the rocket is Research Flat Earth. He knows about fluid dynamics and aerodynamics but doesn't consider them science, just formulas.
This will be his 2nd flight, his first flight in 2014 he successfully "jumped" an Arizona property but he collapsed after because of G-forces, another formula I suppose. It took Hughes 3 days to recover.

“I don’t believe in science,” said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”

This will actually be the second time he’s constructed and launched a rocket. He jumped on a private property in Winkelman, Arizona, on Jan. 30, 2014 , and traveled 1,374 feet. He collapsed after that landing — the G-forces taking a toll — and needed three days to recover.

He is going to launch his self made steam powered rocket over Amboy ghost town in the Mojave Desert. He has permission from the owner of the town who considers it a "wacky promotional proposal". I look forward to reading about Hughes and his latest rocket jump.

The location of the jump will be Amboy , a ghost town l in the Mojave Desert and along historic Route 66. The fictional town of Radiator Springs in the Disney movie “Cars” was loosely based on Amboy.

Hughes got permission from the town’s owner, Albert Okura, who purchased the rights to Amboy in 2005 for $435,000. The launch will take place on an air strip next to a dilapidated hangar.

“It is absolutely the most wacky promotional proposal I have had since I purchased the entire town in 2005,” said Okura, who’s also the founder of the Juan Pollo restaurant chain. “He is a true daredevil and I want to be part of it.”

Best of luck Mr. Hughes. I may even watch this amazing feat.

edit on 20-11-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Flat Earth - 0 ... Darwin Award - 1

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

He should use this idea of a steam powered vehicle in a car then he'd have something.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I can think of better ways to waste $20,000 but at least he's giving us a show.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Will he be live streaming his suicide?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
All jokes aside, can't wait for him to uhh prove we are on a disc.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Will he be live streaming his suicide?

Thats what I can't figure out. At first the story seems to imply that he is got inside the thing on his first launch, but isn't on the 2nd? Either way this should be interesting.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Flat Earth - 0 ... Darwin Award - 1

GE will probably by his inventions and patents fearing it is green energy resulting in him being a millionaire..

Now who gets the Darwin Award...

Granted that all pending him actually surviving being a human yard dart...

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

At 1800 feet I don't think he will prove anything either way.

He is for sure going to get a really great dose of g-force again.

God's speed Rocket man.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I think he plans to be in it , but I think his plan of reaching an altitude of about 1,800 feet is off by about 1,800 feet.

On the morning of the launch, Hughes will heat about 70 gallons of water in a stainless steel tank and then blast off between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. He plans to go about a mile — reaching an altitude of about 1,800 feet — before pulling two parachutes.

edit on 20-11-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

He should use this idea of a steam powered vehicle in a car then he'd have something.

Nah. That might be dangerous.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I think he plans to be in it , I think his plan of reaching an altitude of about 1,800 feet is off by about1,800 feet.

He doesn't believe in science. Or accurate measurements.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Makes me think of some cheap rocket toy I had as a kid, you would hook it up to the water hose and pressure would build and it would shoot up into the air.

Sorta-kinda.

ps: looked for a video of it, found this instead.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

All jokes aside, this guy is doing something that is very very dangerous. Steam is nothing to play grab ass with.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Here's his first attempt , quite impressive really.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Good find, that man is lucky to be alive.

He is going to roll the dice again. What a set on this guy.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

reminds me of those toy water powered rockets.
www.youtube.com...

..... old science?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

reminds me of those toy water powered rockets.
www.youtube.com...

..... old science?

Those things were good for 3 launches or til the roof grabs the rocket.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Where's he gone and why is there so much strawberry jam in the cockpit?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal It seems that I have more than football to watch that day! Steam powered ricket huh, I have not heard of that before. Best of luck to him and "God Speed".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join