It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW! Recent extra-solar passerby -- a 'highly-elongated', maybe 'high-metal-content' object.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

love that!! It is the galaxy/planet eater from the original Star Trek series!!

edit on 20pm30pm5091 by data5091 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

and if its heading toward earth
we are screwed

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Rendezvous with Rama comes to mind by Arthur C. Clark. It's a good read, and explains this very instance. They thought the cigar shaped craft was a metal rich asteroid, until they found otherwise. It was also a strange interstellar object traveling into our solar system. It also shot back out using the sun to refuel, and slingshot. The only difference we sent someone to it in the book. They do everything in threes so I guess we will know in about 60 years.

edit on 20-11-2017 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Man, I am just totally stunned by this. It is just beyond weird that this thing just happens to be shaped, LIKE A SPACESHIP. There I said it. Had to get that out. Sorry. It looks like either a space ship or a giant doobie. Either possibility is terrifying. Not saying nature cant spit out an asteroid shaped like this, but how many asteroids have we ever seen shaped like a huge cigar?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It's very frustrating that we're still so primitive, that we can't fly out and look at things like this.

How many more decades will it take before we're able to go investigate an object in our own solar system.. like we send Jets up to investigate UFOs now?
edit on 11/20/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

That is one crazy looking artist rendition of this object.../quote]

reminds me of (artist impression) pictures i've seen of the supposed 'ringmakers of saturn' ships
edit on 20 11 2017 by RoScoLaz5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20 11 2017 by RoScoLaz5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If it a probe, expect aliens in 50, 60 years.

Wonder if the surface is smooth or rough because they might be a hint at it's origin.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This is basically one way 'first contact' might look. So it is truly exciting, and fun to enjoy the common well-deserved excitement.

One point -- nobody's keeping anything secret, apparently, although they could have. Unless there have been radio intercepts, or laser beam flashes. It might be prudent to broaden the observation instrumentation array just in case there were artificial signals that normal astronomical searching wouldn't look for.

Just in case.

How likely would it be that something randomly passing through the solar system would get so close to the sun?

OR -- are only those passers-by getting that close bright enough to be noticed by existing sky surveys?

To find the farther-out and dimmer ones, what wide-field search strategy would be productive, up to and including Hubble?

ADD -- Many of these questions are directly addressed here:

www.eso.org...
edit on 20-11-2017 by JimOberg because: better URL

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Nah.. It's an old rocked tumbling through space and its also red iron made Jim..

Wonder who put that there ?

Although one starts to think , could it be possible that monolithic structures that have supposedly found on moons like on one of the moons of Mars could actually be things like these?

edit on 0b02America/ChicagoMon, 20 Nov 2017 17:03:02 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 20 Nov 2017 17:03:02 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Maybe it has something to do with the monolith on moon and mars that Buzz Aldrin talked about.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher
Probably not:

"It's a big, big, tall rock. Now I could say it looks like maybe a crude construction device by some creatures who practiced on Phobos and then landed in Egypt and built the pyramids. I don't really believe that. But some people are liable to think that".

youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Hopefully it's a ship full of benevolent beings that free humanity from the shackles of Oligarchy.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

If we could capture something like that, it would make a great habitat /generational space station.

Centrifical force could be applied after chipping away at it until you had an evenly distributed mass.

Thats a cool looking rock.

Obelisk station.

edit on 11 20 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
IT'S all FUN and GAMES 'till it reduces speed...

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The Red Kachina maybe.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
The descriptions reminds me of this.

If we are going to go with a space ship lets go all in.

That looks like the Millennium Falcon that Hans Solo flew in Star Wars.

I say that because Iapetus looks like the Death Star..

www.google.com...://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Iapetus.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iapetus_ (moon)&h=857&w=800&tbnid=JWd035l2rGBlrM:&tbnh=186&tbnw=173&usg=__Y-V5JMn2KgOkiunDqfIfrs1nSeY%3D&vet=10ahUKEwjvqvOjwM7XAhXhYd8KHR4iDC0Q_B0IwwEwEw..i&do cid=Z66jcqnXzN-g1M&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvqvOjwM7XAhXhYd8KHR4iDC0Q_B0IwwEwEw

As does Mimas also a Moon of Saturn (hmmm)

www.google.com... C_&usg=__B88fudbFBYhzmOfEks8ZtZnI1Ts%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVpqmXwM7XAhUkT98KHTEABCwQ9QEIOjAB#imgrc=_CvNSASdo26XkM:

ETA
What is all this extra crap that copied into the post?

edit on 20-11-2017 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

If we are going to go with a space ship lets go all in.

That looks like the Millennium Falcon that Hans Solo flew in Star Wars.

I say that because Iapetus looks like the Death Star..

upload.wikimedia.org...

ETA
What is all this extra crap that copied into the post?

Well one works now.
The bottom one was google search criteria, not a url.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Weryk and fellow Institute for Astronomy researcher Marco Micheli realised it was going extremely fast (with enough speed to avoid being captured by the Sun's gravitational pull) and was on a very eccentric trajectory taking it out of our Solar System.

If it's not alien , how could this rock managed to pull an elliptical trajectory without being captured by the Sun's gravitational pull?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

It followed an elliptical (hyperbolic, actually) path precisely because of the Sun's gravitational pull. If not for that it would have gone straight in and straight back out.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Looks like the "ship" on the moon that the alleged Apollo 20 went to, to scoop up the alleged "Mona Lisa" ancient human pilot.

To be fair, any long, skinny, vaguely phallic rock will look like that.

Very interesting, none the less, as it isn't the usual roundish clump of space matter.

Too bad we can't cruise and scope it out... or can we? (mwa-ha-ha)

Meh, if artificial, it's probably looking for dinner, knowing how life is on Earth... maybe better to turn off the lights and wait for it to pass.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join